Building the GR Research A/v 3's

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
Hello out there loudspeaker people. Have a couple questions .First has anyone out there built the a/v 3's ? If so any tips on putting the cabinets together ?I have all the parts cuts for both speakers and one tower almost done .
Here is what I have done precut all the material for both towers ,note I don't have a table saw sold the one i had a few yers ago so everything is cut with a circular saw,jigsaw and a chop saw,I do have a router but still getting the hang of that beast .are the braces suppose to fit all the way side to side or do they have gaps I have cut everything to their spec's but there are a couple that don't fit side to side .Second it looks like my first tower is off a little to the right (leaning) ewven though it is hitting the floor on all four sides of the bottm ,any suggestions ?.I will attacth a couple photo's for help .They should be better than what I have the fronts in the background are the br-1's from p@@@+$ e******ss .the photos are at
http:community.webshots.com/user/rlammi100

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I cannot get that link to open to take a look at the pics. Can you try again?

Pat

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Use a base on the bottom or some spikes to level the one that is leaning. It was probably not perfectly square when glued. If you can somehow trim or sand the ones that don't fit, that would be the best. Another guy I've been talking to is building a set also.

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
A/v 3's

j_garcia said:
Use a base on the bottom or some spikes to level the one that is leaning. It was probably not perfectly square when glued. If you can somehow trim or sand the ones that don't fit, that would be the best. Another guy I've been talking to is building a set also.

jgarcia ,
Yeah I thought i had it all pretty straight but after i glued it and then i put it upright I saw it ,it isn't to bad I was thinking of just compensaating on the base also .I will double check the second tower .It hasn't been to bad so far ,not having a table saw made it fun,and then using the router for the first time was fun but got the hang of it .I will post more photos as I go thanks for the suggestion .

W

wackii

Audiophyte
First has anyone out there built the a/v 3's ?
Yes, I have a pair with red oak veneer. Great speakers, tight bass and super clean and clear sound, not to mention great imaging.

If so any tips on putting the cabinets together ?
This is what I did since I'm like you don't have a table saw. Some of the braces cutout were off a lil bit.
1. Make sure you sand all the braces to the best even sides as you can.
2. use screws and glue since you don't have perfect cuts.
3. pre-drill holes before you screw those braces and sides together(also use titebond II glue). Also, make sure you the screws went deep inside the mdf so that you can apply some woodfiller to cover it.
4. attach the left side and the back first, then top piece. Make sure they're 90 degree angle.
5. then attach all braces together. Also remember to include the network or crossover on braces b and c.
6. now attach the right side and the bottom pieces.
7. Use caulking to make sure all the sides sealed and tight.
8. Apply the stuffing per GR-Research recommendation.
9. Lastly, attach you front baffle.
10. Maker sure everything is tight and secure. Use woodfiller if needed on those cracks and on those unwanted errors.
11. Choose your finish.

Have fun. Be patient and plan out everything first. You will love these speakers.

Al,

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Tablesaw!

This is definitely a great project to work on! All I can say is that the discrepancies that you see in the work (i.e. the leaning tower :D ) are probably caused by having to cut the pieces using a circular saw. Even the most skilled carpenter would be hard pressed to make cuts that are EXACTLY the same on two identical boards. That is definitely where a table saw comes in handy. However, a few suggestions that might make things a little easier. Use clamps whenever you can. Clamping ensures a snug fit, and, when used with the right amount of glue, you get a tight, sealed fit. Also build on a level surface. Don't ever put together cabinet pieces on a sloped or variable surface as this can lead to problems getting a good fit. Use corner clamps whenever you can. Doing this ensures a good 90 degree fit. Obviously if it isn't a 90 degree corner you're wanting, don't use them! Lastly, when you make your cuts for the outside of the box, try cutting them in pairs. This may be difficult depending on the equipment, but, once again, the idea is to try to get perfectly matching pairs. Again, you clamps to keep the two sides firmly pressed together while cutting. Have fun!

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
A/v 3's

awesomebase said:
This is definitely a great project to work on! All I can say is that the discrepancies that you see in the work (i.e. the leaning tower :D ) are probably caused by having to cut the pieces using a circular saw. Even the most skilled carpenter would be hard pressed to make cuts that are EXACTLY the same on two identical boards. That is definitely where a table saw comes in handy. However, a few suggestions that might make things a little easier. Use clamps whenever you can. Clamping ensures a snug fit, and, when used with the right amount of glue, you get a tight, sealed fit. Also build on a level surface. Don't ever put together cabinet pieces on a sloped or variable surface as this can lead to problems getting a good fit. Use corner clamps whenever you can. Doing this ensures a good 90 degree fit. Obviously if it isn't a 90 degree corner you're wanting, don't use them! Lastly, when you make your cuts for the outside of the box, try cutting them in pairs. This may be difficult depending on the equipment, but, once again, the idea is to try to get perfectly matching pairs. Again, you clamps to keep the two sides firmly pressed together while cutting. Have fun!

Hey guys thanks for the input ,I am going to get some longer clamps for the second tower and see how it comes out . On the first tower I installed all the braces on the front and back panels and then installed the sides and top and use a finish nail gun and gorilla glue .the second tower I was thinking of marking all the braces and then intalling them after the back and sides were all together ?Had the wife check out the first one and she said ," just make another one ?" The wood isn't bad it just took some time to cut all the parts .If I doend up making another one I will try to get /borrow a table saw or cut them in pairs and see how it comes out .I am looking forward to the finished product and see how they sound .I will post pictures of the second once it is done ,and or when I redue them .
Thanks for all the input helps alot . Ron .

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
Any Router Tips

rlammi said:
Hey guys thanks for the input ,I am going to get some longer clamps for the second tower and see how it comes out . On the first tower I installed all the braces on the front and back panels and then installed the sides and top and use a finish nail gun and gorilla glue .the second tower I was thinking of marking all the braces and then intalling them after the back and sides were all together ?Had the wife check out the first one and she said ," just make another one ?" The wood isn't bad it just took some time to cut all the parts .If I doend up making another one I will try to get /borrow a table saw or cut them in pairs and see how it comes out .I am looking forward to the finished product and see how they sound .I will post pictures of the second once it is done ,and or when I redue them .
Thanks for all the input helps alot . Ron .

Hello everyone ,
I have gotten the first tower almost done just need a little more work on the front panel .On the second tower does anyone have any suggestions on fixing a bad router job .thought i had the hang of it and tried cutting out the back port ,but it came out sloppy . I was going to try and cut some of it straight with a dremel and then cut and glue in the striaghter pieces .I will have to take a photo and post it . Thanks ,Ron.

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
Parts are coming

Hello everyone ,updating the speaker projects ,yes projects , I am building the av 3's and a new subwoofer .
the sub woofer and passive radiator have arrived , should have them mounted this weekend ,then the kit for the av 3's should also be hear this weekend and will start installing eveything this weekend ,as long as the wife doesn't have any more home improvement projects ,but if i do the work then she pretty much lets me do what I .I will post pictures as i go I have a few more already posted .Ron

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
first speaker project done

Well it took a little while to finish these speakers ,but was well worth the wait .Finsihed them last week and hooked them up ,don't ask for any readings I don't have any measuring equipment, and they sound awesome great clarity and a lot bigger soundstage than the previous speakers I had .With the GR-sub they blend very well I have a behringer a500 coming to power the sub so it should sound alot better once there is a little more power to the subwoofer .Right now I am using the amp out of my old subwoofer to power the gr sub. All in all a great first time project and alot of learning for the next .They came out nice ,I may pull the drivers one final time and sand the unit for better joint fint and repair the area around the tweeter ,no air leak just a little big .The final thing is the base for the towers and then ti figure out were to put them .Here are some photos http://community.webshots.com/user/rlammi100
Thanks all for the input .

rlammi

rlammi

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for turning me on to gr research .

j_garcia said:
Awsome man!! Congrats :)
Thanks jgarcia ,if you hadn't have turned me onto these i probably would not have made them ,so thanks for the link ,and I may have to try the a/v 2's something a little smaller to fit the fronts but we will see how these do.And once i pull the drivers out of these and do a little fine tuning on the joints I will repost some other pictures .These speakers sound great though awesome in two channel .Again thanks for the recommendation .

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Just finished building mine last night. I can say I am very pleased. I'll post picture later on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis