Building speaker stand

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Just curious what the best listening hight would be. WHere I sit (sweet spot) my head is at about 37" I was gonan build the stand 39" to the top pf the speaker.. Would this be just right or too high or to low ?? Please let me know.

Cheers :)

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Depends the location of your speakers (the speaker drivers themselves not the enclosure). For main L&R speakers, I'd try to line up your ears with the tweeters as best you can heightwise.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I agree about the tweeters at ear level. Another way to try it is to build a low stand and tilt the speaker back so that the highly directional tweter frequencies are aimed at your ear. Some people think a speaker close to the florr sounds better (improved bass). For an overpriced example see http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/bedrock.php.

I think the design has merits but not at that price.

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Never thought of having them that low to the ground.. My only downfall would be that the coffee table would get in the way as I have one just in front of the sofa pretty sure that would hinder performance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It isn't exactly snake oil, though it is a bit excessive for what it does. The idea is that you get a little more boudary effect from the floor, somewhat reinforcing bass, as well as having basically no stand resonance. Is it going to make them sound dramatically better? Not really. "You might cross a subwoofer off your list..." is ridiculous.

IMO, just a straight stand that puts the tweeters at about ear level should work perfectly fine.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I've looked at that website several times, and am always amazed at the pure Barbra Streisand that these people are selling. :rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Dan said:
I agree about the tweeters at ear level. Another way to try it is to build a low stand and tilt the speaker back so that the highly directional tweter frequencies are aimed at your ear. Some people think a speaker close to the florr sounds better (improved bass). For an overpriced example see http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/bedrock.php.

I think the design has merits but not at that price.

Speakers that are low on the floor such as that link and even though it is tilted up, you will hear the music coming up from low such as a sunken orchestra. Not very realistic, IMO.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

~JC~ said:
I think you have found speaker stand snake oil! :D :eek: Although they do look cool.

That web site certainly has a bunch. You should check out their wire and other oily products:D
They should stick to making music.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

hd newbie said:
Just curious what the best listening hight would be. WHere I sit (sweet spot) my head is at about 37" I was gonan build the stand 39" to the top pf the speaker.. Would this be just right or too high or to low ?? Please let me know.
Cheers :)

The general rule of thumb is as has been stated here by others, tweeters at ear height. But, there is always a but.
Recently I was reading a speaker being reviewed in The Audio Critic, I guess in one of their last printed issues. The speaker David Rich was reviewing had its dispersion characteristics much better in its axis 15 degrees below horizontal. The frequency response was much better there. So, that speaker needs to have its tweeters above hear height by 15 degrees.:D

While this may not apply to your speakers, if one is critical, they need to know such issues.

If you can place the height at least to ear height, do that. You will get a better, realistic location for the sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speakers can have a directionality to their imaging - some down, as mtry mentioned, some straight, and some may actually be slightly tilted up. This is a function of the position of the drivers relative to each other on the baffle, the phase of the drivers, as well as the design of the crossover. I couldn't tell you what is more predominant, but I'd expect most are either relatively straight or slightly down.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

j_garcia said:
Speakers can have a directionality to their imaging - some down, as mtry mentioned, some straight, and some may actually be slightly tilted up. This is a function of the position of the drivers relative to each other on the baffle, the phase of the drivers, as well as the design of the crossover. I couldn't tell you what is more predominant, but I'd expect most are either relatively straight or slightly down.

The other speaker David Rich measured were fine on axis:D I am not sure one woule tell just by listening which one was more accurate.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
So, that speaker needs to have its tweeters above hear height by 15 degrees
.....try the front mains high, try them low, try them in the middle, and you'll probably like the high dispersion best....I don't mean on the ceiling, either....try to elevate the screen somewhat to match.....

.....edit....you also might want to get a five-foot lifeguard's chair.....

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....I mean really, when you go to a walk-in theater to view Hollywood's latest as a night out, are the tweeters and mids at ear level, or "up", keeping the voices "even" with the screen?.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
mulester7 said:
.....I mean really, when you go to a walk-in theater to view Hollywood's latest as a night out, are the tweeters and mids at ear level, or "up", keeping the voices "even" with the screen?.....
They're up, but they're pointed down towards the audience and the rooms are generally very well damped to control reflections and they have very high ceilings. Those speakers are also positioned to throw sound across the entire audience, not just for 2 or 3 people in a sweet spot :)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
They're up, but they're pointed down towards the audience and the rooms are generally very well damped to control reflections and they have very high ceilings. Those speakers are also positioned to throw sound across the entire audience, not just for 2 or 3 people in a sweet spot :)
.....yeah, it's actually different than what we have at home, JGarcia....(leave it to a guy who owns 5 of them there GR Research 2's to give me a brainstorm).....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis