Building own center speaker ?

B

bradley0001983

Junior Audioholic
Now I dont plan on doin it myself but I have a polk rtia9 slight damage and a lsim705 best up all components are perfect sound great look bad but I have these parts I was wondering if someone had knowledge to build a center speaker how hard would it be .. I.e would be problems with crossovers etc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Designing a crossover wouldn't be a simple matter. I'd suggest just buying a center. If you really have the diy itch, probably start with a diy project where the design of the box and crossover for specific drivers is done for you...maybe something from diydesigngroup.com for example where they offer complete diy kits, or others like parts-express.com, or madisoundspeakerstore.com or meniscusaudio.com. There's a diy subforum here on AH you can look thru, too.

ps diydesigngroup should be diysoundgroup....

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... wondering if someone had knowledge to build a center speaker how hard would it be .. I.e would be problems with crossovers etc
This tells me you should not contemplate doing it. ;)
Maybe a kit from someone who know how?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to dip your toes in the pool with an easy read on Speaker Design, check out the book Introduction to Speaker Design by John Murphy and/or Designing, Building and Testing Your Own Speaker System by Weems.
These are both good introductory books that will introduce you to the complexities hidden in that seemingly innocuous question.
Just having some drivers lying around isn't a good reason to try without understanding the underlying problems which need to be solved. A good example would be looking at some raw drivers and the TS Parameters that the manufacturer provides. All that information is required to some extent to figure out the proper cabinet size, alignment, port tuning, etc. That driver is a Subwoofer which is always recommended as a good starting point: it is much easier to get a single driver to work well than two... and a 2-way is much simpler than a 3-way. That said, you would need to identify those parameter for your drivers before beginning a project if you want to even come close to a functioning build.
Please don't read this as discouragement, rather encouragement to learn more! ;) Maybe it's for you... maybe not. That you are curious is a good first step. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It shouldn't be too hard to build a center, but designing one is another story entirely. Look for good plans for pre-existing DIY designs- I would look at three-way speakers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Designing a crossover wouldn't be a simple matter. I'd suggest just buying a center. If you really have the diy itch, probably start with a diy project where the design of the box and crossover for specific drivers is done for you...maybe something from diydesigngroup.com for example where they offer complete diy kits, or others like parts-express.com, or madisoundspeakerstore.com or meniscusaudio.com. There's a diy subforum here on AH you can look thru, too.
Yeah I don’t think it’s even practical for anyone but experienced speaker builders to attempt a center channel Zzz . Replacing blown drivers is one thing to build one from scratch is very hard . X overs imo are so complicated I couldn’t figure them out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I don’t think it’s even practical for anyone but experienced speaker builders to attempt a center channel Zzz . Replacing blown drivers is one thing to build one from scratch is very hard . X overs imo are so complicated I couldn’t figure them out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almost everything is beyond your skills otoh. Why are you here?

afford-hifi

afford-hifi

Junior Audioholic
Have you checked out diysoundgroup.com? You can even get complete crossovers and flatpacks if you dont have the woodworking skills.

James

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked out diysoundgroup.com? You can even get complete crossovers and flatpacks if you dont have the woodworking skills.

James
LOL how did I come up with diydesigngroup.com instead? Gettin' old....

afford-hifi

afford-hifi

Junior Audioholic
LOL how did I come up with diydesigngroup.com instead? Gettin' old....

Haha I was wondering if that’s what you originally meant!

I have built a few of their kits. Eric and the guys at diysiundgroup are very good to work with and very knowledgeable.

I would definitely recommend starting there for a first time speaker build.

James

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha I was wondering if that’s what you originally meant!

I have built a few of their kits. Eric and the guys at diysiundgroup are very good to work with and very knowledgeable.

I would definitely recommend starting there for a first time speaker build.

James
Now you're doing it :) Yeah Erich is a definite good guy for the diy community....

afford-hifi

afford-hifi

Junior Audioholic
HAHA yeah, I did spell it out wrong too now... BLAST.

Either way, completely agree Eric is phenomenal. HIGHLY RECOMMEND diysoundgroup.com (got it right that time).

James

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis