Building a whole-home audio system...need advice

B

BrazenAudio

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I am building a home audio system, 6 rooms. I know this will probably not be possible, but my ideal goal would be to:
-Be able to have multiple sources of audio
-Be able to route any source into any room or rooms
-Ideally, accept audio from a PC/tablet/phone through a wifi/data connection

I know this is technically possible, but may require a PC with custom software running to handle audio coming from over the network; and software running on any PC/wifi/device that I want to send sound from. What I dont know is whether there is any pre-built solutions that already can do this; I would rather have that than something I build myself.

I see this as possibly two different components. First; a PC to receive and manage all audio streams coming from network devices; and second a receiver connected to that PC's sound card outputs which drives the speakers.

This is my first attempt at doing something like this, so I really dont know what is out there. Is there anything else out there that may make this task easier? Any hardware out there that possibly does some of these things? I have seen multi-room receivers, but everything seems to require analog inputs and can not take any type of digital signal coming from the local network.

Thanks all

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Spartan
There are tons of whole house audio distribution systems that are out there. The main thing you need to do is actually get the wiring from a central location to the rooms and plan your speakers out accordingly. You also need to decide if you want to put keypads in the room so you have local control, or if you want to force people to go to their phones every single time they want to adjust volume or turn the system on or off or change a source.

Niles, Nuvo, Russound, Crestron, and others also have been making distributed audio systems for YEARS, even decades.

The most common configuration is the 4-6 source system with 6 rooms. So, 12 channel amplifiers combined with a 4x6 pre-amp/amp setup.

Be aware that I recommend at least one Sonos Connect type device as part of the system as that offers excellent stand-alone capabilities for network streaming and playback from a phone through the network. Bluetooth is NOT a networked device and if you go out of range with your phone, you will lose audio. They are fine for in-room use, but not for whole house audio use. Networked solution like Sonos are significantly better.

For reference... I have gone a bit further with things...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Ninja
The Google Home devices have allowed me a sort of Whole Home Audio solution in that I can tell it to play a song and it will play on my chosen player. Some rooms it's the Google Home device, some it's the main audio system that could be hooked to a TV. Highly configurable depending on need.

My needs are pretty basic in that area so it works well for me. A networked solution is a must.

B

BrazenAudio

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice BMXTRIX and panteragstk. Im currently renovating my place and installing the speaker wires from my receiver location to each room. I do want to have 6 zones/rooms.

I will look into those brands you listed BMXTRIX. I also am installing network ports in each room; I know some controllers work from ethernet.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Spartan
Make sure that if you want local control in the room for volume and such that you pull a network cable to a keypad location. I put them by the doors (as my link shows) and it gives one-touch availability to the system from within the room. It's worth saying that I also have hand held remote controls and iPhone and iPad control available for my home. But, my setup is a bit over the top. :D

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis