Building a Home Theater & Listening Room

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Hi all,

My wife finally parted with a portion of her terrace garden and let me build a home theater.

First off all I find myself very fortunate to build a room that can be dedicated to music listening and watching movies. The room will be 3.96 meters wide, 7.38 meters long and a height of 2.7 meters. So with a little more than 29 m2 it's not a big room at all.

We live in a duplex penthouse (5th & 6th floors with terrace rights). So, traditional construction methods are a bit difficult. I plan to take the prefab route.

Proposed HT Room area.

Columns set and trusses on.

Will post updates later.

Thanks

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned

Out door theatre? Cool

Sent from my iPhone 5.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
This is every Audioholics fantasy project, whether they admit it or not.

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Pics of the composite decking sheet being fixed.... in fact today ...the plasterers were skimming the walls and pouring the concrete slab....

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Started laying of electrical, speaker and signal cables. The cabling work is being carried out by a local guy and someone from my work giving him a hand.
To reduce hum and noise I want to install a dedicated line with only a single ground from the audio / home theater system to the electrical service panel. Don’t want to attach anything other than the A/ V system to this special dedicated line.
Expecting the result to be noise and hum free power with a 'deep black background'.
By this stage of the project, I have already identified the following :

Placement of all speakers
Placement of A/V components
Placement of video source
Lighting needs
Possible future enhancements
Thermal Insulation & Acoustic Treatment

BTW I have provided a frame also…for supporting the screen.
I will try and post pics if there's interest...as soon as i work out how to do it....!!
I have all the kit i need already for this…mix of new and from old lounge... not top end by any means...but works for me...

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Framing work in progress for rock wool slabs…

Checking out my old screen…

16:9 screen pulled down…

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Framing work completed and AV cabinet in place…cabling almost done but for one sub signal cable. Got 30 Rock wool bags delivered yesterday.
There was a leak from one point of the slab joint side…. getting the pressure grouting done today.

Entry door to the theater on the left:

Bags containing Rock wool slabs:

AV cabinet built into the window:

Ceiling panels getting ready:

Insulation panels being fixed :

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That is coming absolutely awesome...

Hydrovac, I take it you do injection excavation? I have a company I use locally for gas lines and the occasional inground oil tank repair and I always make it a point to be on site when the sub is there, I love watching them trucks work..

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Paneling of rock wool frames almost done:

Steel trusses being enclosed in wooden beams:

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned

Nice work boots

Sent via magic for sorcery

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Got few sample seats today... my folks liked the red one, the design part of it and not the fabric though. Actually it is wider by 2” and comfortable than the other two.

Decided to order seven seats with individual arm rests… and different cloth material which I have to select.

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Tough to get things done when you are on carpenter’s schedule, but I'm grinding along. Got most of the ceiling done, preparing bass traps and acoustic panels…

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
Hey guys!

Here is an update on the build… I have spent countless hours on there reading and learning since I started trying to figure out what I wanted to do 6 months ago. It’s like a fun project for me... The entire room needs a good deal of sound work. Even still, I'm happy with how it sounds to my ears after watching a couple movies... I just need to contain it better for now.

It's the old saying of "measure twice, cut once"… live it, learn it, love it the downside to that is since I have never done anything like this before who knows what I missed or what I underestimated on.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Damn, how did I miss this! Love to see a new theater come together!

H

hydrovac

Enthusiast
After a long gap... here is an update.

The past few months I've been gathering some more things to move forward. Here are a few goodies that were dropped off:

Video:
Panasonic DMP-BDT 360GA
DUNE HD MAX
Sony Playstation 3 (500GB)

Projector:
Panasonic PT-AE8000U Full HD 3D Home Theater Projector
Screen: Screen Research 165” diagonal AT woven custom frame

Electronics:
Pre Processor:
SherbournPT-7020A preamp processor
Power Amps: DIY TDA7293 based parallel design

I decided to try out tactile transducers for my home theater. Spent a lot of time researching and reading feedback from users and forums. Ended up getting two of these,

Screen frame assembly:

Grommets eyelets and Bungee tension ties:

Here is a trial fitting and assembly of the screen frame...

This is how my existing screen looks:

Existing Speaker setup:

New Screen fixed:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis