Building a home setup for around $2000...your thoughts welcome!

T

Technoboy

Audiophyte
Hey everyone... I am a complete and utter newb to many things audio, so no offense if this is not the right forum...

I'm planning to purchase a setup for my home for house parties and to watch/play concert DVDs. This is the setup I'm looking at purchasing:

Mackie 802-VLZ3 Compact Mixer

Mackie SRM450 v2 PA Speakers (12", self powered, excellent sound clarity, great reviews)

JBL EON518S 500W 18" Powered Subwoofer (read some terrible reviews on Mackie Subs)

Do you envision that I will find any issues mating the Mackie PA's with the JBL Sub? And what will I need to run from TV to the mixing board...rca adaptors?

Any thoughts on this potential purchase would be great:) I'm thinking of going through Guitar Center

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
You'll likely need to get some sort of balancing transformer. The signal strength and impedance are different from pro to consumer, not just the connector itself.

Bryan

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a mixer (Yamaha) that I connect to my Denon 3312 using an adapter (1/4" plugs to RCA). It works fine for my karaoke :D parties (Infinity 2 P362 + 2 Velodyne SC-600 subs).

I would stick to JBL pro speakers + JBL pro subs.

I've tried the big Yamaha pro speakers. I thought they sucked even though there were plenty of "great reviews".

I'm not so sure if Mackie is any better than Yamaha.

So personally I would stick to JBL. You know JBL makes some $60,000 speakers. And they are owned by Harman International who are probably #1 in research. I'm not saying all JBL or Harman speakers (including Revel & Infinity) sound the best. But the odds are in your favor when betting on JBL vs some other brands. Just my opinion. :D

T

Technoboy

Audiophyte
I have a mixer (Yamaha) that I connect to my Denon 3312 using an adapter (1/4" plugs to RCA). It works fine for my karaoke :D parties (Infinity 2 P362 + 2 Velodyne SC-600 subs).

I would stick to JBL pro speakers + JBL pro subs.

I've tried the big Yamaha pro speakers. I thought they sucked even though there were plenty of "great reviews".

I'm not so sure if Mackie is any better than Yamaha.

So personally I would stick to JBL. You know JBL makes some $60,000 speakers. And they are owned by Harman International who are probably #1 in research. I'm not saying all JBL or Harman speakers (including Revel & Infinity) sound the best. But the odds are in your favor when betting on JBL vs some other brands. Just my opinion. :D
Roger that buddy...I wanted to go with the Mackie's because they have a better sound quality while they are a bit more fragile and aren't the best for smashing around in the back seat of a truck going to gigs. I'll probably get the JBL Sub though... I'm not sure about this balancing transformer?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis