Building a 120" Projector Screen

T

TonyRaccoon1

Audiophyte
Some measurements -
Width - 106" Height - 60" Should give me a Diag. measurement of 122" with the added 2" to width and height for the border on the screen giving me a measurement of 120" of full view-able area.
Will add an extra 2" for the screen material so it can wrap properly. This would be my first one so does this information sound correct? Thank you in advance.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While it can be quick and dirty to build a screen yourself, I found that it took me about 8 hours to do it completely. It also ended up running me about $200 or so in materials. I used poplar for the wood (1x3's) and I used baseboards wrapped in velvet for the frame. It all turned out very nice, but it was a lot of work to put it all together, and the price to get quality raw materials was a bit more than I had hoped for.
There are certainly ways to do it for less, but I really want there to be a VERY deep black border around the edges and I wanted the beveled edges for things. So, there was a cost for all of that. I also wanted a nice stable frame, so the poplar wood instead of pine and then I used steel right angle brackets and decent hardware at all connection points for best strength/quality I could deliver.
Your sizing is good. I like that you are going a bit larger so that you can trim it up with the border you want to use.
It certainly is a good project for anyone who is handy, or just wants to be handy, to work on as it isn't that difficult overall. Make sure you get some help when it comes time to wrap the screen. You want that pulled tight and to use a lot of staples!

At the end, I didn't think the screen looked one bit better than a Silver Ticket screen, and I could never break it down to move it.
$250...
https://www.amazon.com/STR-169120-Silver-Ticket-120-Diagonal-x/dp/B00CYLOTPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548710094&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=silver+ticket+120+inch+projector+screen&psc=1

T

TonyRaccoon1

Audiophyte
While it can be quick and dirty to build a screen yourself, I found that it took me about 8 hours to do it completely. It also ended up running me about $200 or so in materials. I used poplar for the wood (1x3's) and I used baseboards wrapped in velvet for the frame. It all turned out very nice, but it was a lot of work to put it all together, and the price to get quality raw materials was a bit more than I had hoped for.
There are certainly ways to do it for less, but I really want there to be a VERY deep black border around the edges and I wanted the beveled edges for things. So, there was a cost for all of that. I also wanted a nice stable frame, so the poplar wood instead of pine and then I used steel right angle brackets and decent hardware at all connection points for best strength/quality I could deliver.
Your sizing is good. I like that you are going a bit larger so that you can trim it up with the border you want to use.
It certainly is a good project for anyone who is handy, or just wants to be handy, to work on as it isn't that difficult overall. Make sure you get some help when it comes time to wrap the screen. You want that pulled tight and to use a lot of staples!

At the end, I didn't think the screen looked one bit better than a Silver Ticket screen, and I could never break it down to move it.
$250...
Thank you for the in-depth reply BMXTRIX, any user-info is definitely appreciated, I'm going at this as cheap as possible and if I feel I can recreate this again with little to no issues I'll definitely use more high quality materials and sell the other on craigs lol I've watched a few videos in regards to building and each one left me some kind of question especially my measurements since each build is specific. I may go beveled or perhaps do that on my 2nd attempt - Main mission.... 16:9 Rectangle! lol Screen material is 50/50 I saw Carls sells on ebay/Amazon, any differences to their main website? seems cheaper on the other resale website's, Either Carls or a fabric store for black out material.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you for the in-depth reply BMXTRIX, any user-info is definitely appreciated, I'm going at this as cheap as possible and if I feel I can recreate this again with little to no issues I'll definitely use more high quality materials and sell the other on craigs lol I've watched a few videos in regards to building and each one left me some kind of question especially my measurements since each build is specific. I may go beveled or perhaps do that on my 2nd attempt - Main mission.... 16:9 Rectangle! lol Screen material is 50/50 I saw Carls sells on ebay/Amazon, any differences to their main website? seems cheaper on the other resale website's, Either Carls or a fabric store for black out material.
I don't think there's any difference between what Carl's sells on eBay versus what's on carlofet.com. I was lucky enough to find a remnant on the Carl's Place website in the size I needed -- saved me a ton. I think my black velvet border tape came from Amazon if I recall correctly.

Consider getting an LED strip or two to go behind the border of your screen as well. A dark red or purple glow behind the edges of your screen makes watching more comfortable when scenes abruptly shift from dark shadows to daylight.

They're distracting with active shutter DLP 3D though, if you're into that sort of thing. 3D glasses make LED backlighting pulse. I always turn my LED backlighting off for 3D movies, then back on for everything else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis