Build Your Own HTPC

D

dan_wilkinson

Audiophyte
G'day clint,
i would like to point out (in the most humble fashion possible) some things which could be improved in your article "Building Your Own HTPC" http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/avhardware/DIY_HTPC_1.html (incase you forgot where it was ;) )

Normally i would not dare contest the advice given by such a well-respected and knowledgable person as youself, but since it is in my current area of study i thought it was my place to contribute to the topic of building HTPC.

I figure it may be the case that you were trying to prevent the article from being all about how to build a computer but i feel that you left some important details out. for example one thing that alarmed me was your advice to populate the motherboard AFTER mounting it inside the case which as i have seen first hand can easily lead to flexing the PCB enough to crack circuit paths.
I believe that the following is a very thorough and well writen article, which perhaps you would like to read and 'borrow' a few tips from to include in a revision of your article?
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/howtobuildapc

I also have a couple of other suggestions, if you are interested.

I hope to see a revised edition of this guide for the benefit of other readers :) ,
Dan

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Looks like a really good start to the project, for the DVR portion are you going to go with a HD Card or something like the ATI TV Wonder, just curious, b/c I think the new Tv-Wonders come with an IR remote that can be used with multiple media programs like Windows Media Player, Win Amp, Power DVD, also can function as a mouse.

dan_wilkinson said:
your advice to populate the motherboard AFTER mounting it inside the case which as i have seen first hand can easily lead to flexing the PCB enough to crack circuit paths.
With modern motherboards and the typical mounting points I've never seen this as an issue, though Athlon does remain a pain for the inexperienced, but in the interest of 'best practice' procedures I think that prepopulating the processor and RAM is good advice.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Clint DeBoer said:
With modern motherboards and the typical mounting points I've never seen this as an issue, though Athlon does remain a pain for the inexperienced, but in the interest of 'best practice' procedures I think that prepopulating the processor and RAM is good advice.
Never had this happen to me even once with about being done at least 45 to 50 times.....
Now removing the HSF after its been on a year can sometimes be tricky...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis