Budget Subwoofer Recommendations

B

Big Dub Sounds

Audioholic Intern
Hey Audioholics, hope everyone is doing well. In the market for a new subwoofer and looking for some recommendations. I have a tight budget of $400 CDN and I value musicality as much or even more than raw power as my system is used for music a lot. Welcome to any recommendations or suggestions!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Hey Audioholics, hope everyone is doing well. In the market for a new subwoofer and looking for some recommendations. I have a tight budget of $400 CDN and I value musicality as much or even more than raw power as my system is used for music a lot. Welcome to any recommendations or suggestions!

Watch SVS for sales

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Here are some:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here are some:
That article is a horror show, although I like this sentence that describes the very meh Samsung SWA: "The ultra-deep 27 kHz bass response is technically lower than the human ear can actually hear, but it will add a little extra non-auditory rumble to the room as well, so the response on this unit will be plenty for your setup." Assuming that the writer meant 27 Hz and not 27 kHz, that is still at least a half octave above the lower frequency limits of human hearing. The article just keeps making mistakes like that too. That writer needs to stick with iPhone coverage or whatever.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That article is a horror show, although I like this sentence that describes the very meh Samsung SWA: "The ultra-deep 27 kHz bass response is technically lower than the human ear can actually hear, but it will add a little extra non-auditory rumble to the room as well, so the response on this unit will be plenty for your setup." Assuming that the writer meant 27 Hz and not 27 kHz, that is still at least a half octave above the lower frequency limits of human hearing. The article just keeps making mistakes like that too. That writer needs to stick with iPhone coverage or whatever.
Yeah, "listicles" like that are hardly worth anything. They have no real testing to back them up and they often just rattle off the manufacturer's specs. Much like how they list the Def Tech's range as 18-150 Hz.... yeah, sure

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, "listicles" like that are hardly worth anything. They have no real testing to back them up and they often just rattle off the manufacturer's specs. Much like how they list the Def Tech's range as 18-150 Hz.... yeah, sure
I had an uncle that had one of his "listicles" removed - he never felt whole after that...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Right?!?! How about having some kind of reality check. It’s one of the things I hate about the internet and not needing any credibility to publish something. Then someone reads a crap list like this, and buys junk, and leaves the hobby underwhelmed thinking they got the best thing out there. When if they got it right in the first place, they might have stayed and enjoyed the hobby.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is important to always beware the sub that is "powerful enough for your space" or stronger. Only buy subs that are under-powered if you want high sound quality!o_O
From the article "Note" following DefTech Prosub 1000:
The size of your living room or home theater space is the most important factor to consider when choosing a home subwoofer. If the subwoofer is too large or powerful enough for your space, you'll get muddy audio and a less than ideal listening experience.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is important to always beware the sub that is "powerful enough for your space" or stronger. Only buy subs that are under-powered if you want high sound quality!o_O
Wow. Just wow...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
*t-t-twitch*

:oops:o_O:eek:

N

NoDad

Audiophyte
Haven't heard them myself but the Aperion Audio Bravus II 8D subwoofer (how's that for a name!?) may be worth a look. Only $399.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis