Budget Sub Recommendations

P

Pirate

Audiophyte
Hey All!

I’m new to the forum and I figured this would be the place to get some solid speaker advice.

I’m looking to buy a new subwoofer, but I have a budget and a few HT constraints. Here is my info:

Budget:
Max $700

Room Size:
11H x 20L x 12W

Speakers and Receiver:
Pioneer ELITE VSX-52TX: 7.1
Technics SB-CR77 Front Speakers
AXIOM VP150 Center Channel
AXIOM QS8 Rear Speakers (x3)
KLH 120w SUB
I will be upgrading to Axiom fronts in the near future.

The sound I’m looking for from the sub, is that big, theatre “when something explodes you feel it in your chest,” sound. If that makes sense. I watch only DVDs and HD-DVDs and rarely listen to music if that makes a difference.

The only setback I have is that I can’t put the sub in a corner. Because of the layout of the room, the sub must go up front.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

K

kgb540

Audioholic
oh boy.........I wonder if anyone is gonna suggest HSU or SVS? :rolleyes:

seriously......look at a HSU or SVS

P

Pirate

Audiophyte
One of the things that I am confused about is woofer/driver size. I saw this nice little sub from Velodyne called the Minivee that was like 1000 watts, but I was told that I should not buy a woofer under 12” for movies no matter how many watts it is.

So, I’m a little lost as to what I should be looking for. :confused:

H

HiJon89

Audioholic
Pirate said:
One of the things that I am confused about is woofer/driver size. I saw this nice little sub from Velodyne called the Minivee that was like 1000 watts, but I was told that I should not buy a woofer under 12” for movies no matter how many watts it is.

So, I’m a little lost as to what I should be looking for. :confused:
I'm guessing that you were told to look for at least a 12" woofer because woofer diameter is directly related to the frequency range the speaker is able to produce. While an 8" 1000W subwoofer is capable of producing very powerful bass, it is physically incapable of going as low as a 12" woofer can. In the specifications you can see that the particular subwoofer you linked to only goes down to 28Hz. If you think that is good enough for your needs, then fine. If you would like to hear even lower bass, then you could go with something like AV123's UFW-12 which sports a 12" 1000W woofer for $699 + shipping which can go as low as 20Hz and should come out to about the same price as the minivee after shipping:
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=13.1

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Pirate said:
Hey All!

I’m new to the forum and I figured this would be the place to get some solid speaker advice.

I’m looking to buy a new subwoofer, but I have a budget and a few HT constraints. Here is my info:

Budget:
Max $700

Room Size:
11H x 20L x 12W

Speakers and Receiver:
Pioneer ELITE VSX-52TX: 7.1
Technics SB-CR77 Front Speakers
AXIOM VP150 Center Channel
AXIOM QS8 Rear Speakers (x3)
KLH 120w SUB
I will be upgrading to Axiom fronts in the near future.

The sound I’m looking for from the sub, is that big, theatre “when something explodes you feel it in your chest,” sound. If that makes sense. I watch only DVDs and HD-DVDs and rarely listen to music if that makes a difference.

The only setback I have is that I can’t put the sub in a corner. Because of the layout of the room, the sub must go up front.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hsu VTF-3. $800 clams if I recall correctly.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Nick250 said:
Hsu VTF-3. $800 clams if I recall correctly.
Luckily for the O.P. the VTF-3 is $699, seeing his max $700 budget. SVS is also soon coming out with a 12" sealed cube sub at around $700.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This is the PERFECT time for you to check out the PB-12NSD PB-10 style.

Straight from SVS
"When your first powered sub, in the ubiquitous "box" form factor, is a smash hit like the "old" PB12-ISD was (called the PB1-ISD upon its debut some years back), you understandably might leave well enough alone. In fact, we did for quite a while. Today's PB12-NSD is our oldest Powered Box design and was, (despite never being seriously challenged at the $600 price point), overdue for a fresh look and benefit from our years of refining audio packages.

So while the name stays the same (Powered Box, 12" - single NSD type woofer), just about everything about it is different from before, save that latest NSD woofer and our stalwart 325 watt BASH amp. While the look is different for this product, it's very familiar to SVS watchers."
PB-10 vs. PB-12

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Pirate said:
Thanks Sheep. Do you own one of these?
He doesn't own one, but he's done enough research to know you're not going to find a better $600 sub for the money. These just came out, and the wait would definitely be worth it (August), as the new 12" NSD is now front firing. I've been to the SVS factory, and demo'd everything they had last summer. They're every bit as good as people say they are.

F

freeflap

Audioholic Intern
budget subs

all the above are excellent products. you will be very pleased by the hsu, svs, or axiom. you already owe axiom so it would make sense to stay in brand as you will have a discount for system purchases. plus the finishes would all match.

av123 is probably the largest most well known internet direct speaker company. they make onix rocket speakers. they have a line of excellent ht speakers and subs.

the UFW12 is a sealed sub that excels at music more so than HT. they have a line of ported and passive radiator subs coming out that look very interesting.

i have the UFW10 and axiom ep500 and have been very pleased so far.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Pirate said:
I've never heard of AV123. Does anyone here own one?
From everything I have read and heard AV123 is highly regarded. In fact I have a UFW-10 sub on order from them right now. There are Rocket UFW-12 and Rocket UFW-10 reviews right here on AH, check them out. Both are on sale right now and are great values IMO.

Nick

EDIT: Just read (in this thread) about the new SVS PB12 for $600 sounds like a great deal.

Last edited:
WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Hey, also check out the SVS cylinders, they offer a better bang for the buck. Some people don't like the look of the tall cylinders, but they are easy to hide.

Link

The PCi line looks right for your needs ;)

P

Pirate

Audiophyte
WorldLeader said:
Hey, also check out the SVS cylinders
I was looking at those cylinder subs, but they're just too tall. I can't have anything over 23" tall.

I don't remember ever being more torn between options. :confused:

P

Pirate

Audiophyte
Could someone explain to me the difference between front and bottom firing subs? Since my sub will be up front, I'm wondering which I should go with.

Thanks.

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
It is about as simple as it sounds.

Front firing simply means that the actual woofer is driven out the front of the enclosure. If there is a grill on the front of the sub and you take it off then you will see the driver. A bottom firing sub fires the driver down towards the floor. Understand that they both move air and produce low frequency. Proper placement for both is a must. Both types usually get some gain by being in a corner of a room, the bottom firing subs usually (help me out if I am wrong guys) benefit from a corner a little more, but again placement for both is indeed crucial. You have gotten some excellent advice here. The SVS, HSU, or Rocket will put a huge smile on your face for sure and I can honestly say between those three there is not a "Wrong" decision to be made between them. Just make sure everything is tied down. Good Luck.:cool:

P

Pirate

Audiophyte
wafflebird said:
Front firing simply means that the actual woofer is driven out the front of the enclosure. If there is a grill on the front of the sub and you take it off then you will see the driver. A bottom firing sub fires the driver down towards the floor. Understand that they both move air and produce low frequency. Proper placement for both is a must. Both types usually get some gain by being in a corner of a room, the bottom firing subs usually (help me out if I am wrong guys) benefit from a corner a little more, but again placement for both is indeed crucial. You have gotten some excellent advice here. The SVS, HSU, or Rocket will put a huge smile on your face for sure and I can honestly say between those three there is not a "Wrong" decision to be made between them. Just make sure everything is tied down. Good Luck.:cool:
Sorry I just have been clearer. I understand that one fires front and one fires bottom, I was asking about difference sin sound. Does one produce a deeper bass or hit harder. That kind of thing. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned the PB-10 and heard the PB-12. My room is larger that yours and the PB-10 did quite respectably in there, though I would probably opt for the PB-12. They actually sound quite similar, but the PB-12 moves more air due to the larger driver and does give a bit more tactile feel. Their output is very similar if you look at the SVS site.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Pirate said:
Sorry I just have been clearer. I understand that one fires front and one fires bottom, I was asking about difference sin sound. Does one produce a deeper bass or hit harder. That kind of thing. :)
I have owned both and found that the front firing sub generates a more localized bass response (you can tell where the sub is). I also have wood/laminate flooring and I thoroughly enjoy the mechanical impact of the down-firing subs on this flexible material. It adds to the home theater experience. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with front-firing subs. There should be no difference in sound...just the visceral impact will change from one type to another, IMHO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis