Budget Sub question - JBL 550P vs Polh HTS 12

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This hobby is about having fun. What works for me may not work for you. If you sat in my theater and heard my system, believe me, you would feel differently. I have a good pair of ears and have been doing this for over 30 years. What sounds good to me may not sound very good to you. That's what makes us all different. Every Forum is full of criticism about everything.
Fun is good, so is curiosity on what you were talking about, eh? I was more interested in how it worked with your subs and asked a question. Anyways, I thought it extended further mostly. I do like bass, a bassoholic even, might enjoy something like this to play with, but I'm not about to buy one on the other hand. I recently enjoyed playing with an old dbx unit I have had since the early 80s, a Dynamic Range Expander (a DBX 1 Series Two). Used it mostly with vinyl in a modest 2ch setup, it sounded good to me more then than now, tho but that was a different room/speakers 30 plus years ago, too. Fun once in a while, but not a sound for application across the board so it's not going in any of my main systems, just into one of the 2ch setups I put together in my office/spare bedroom.

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
Fun is good, so is curiosity on what you were talking about, eh? I was more interested in how it worked with your subs and asked a question. Anyways, I thought it extended further mostly. I do like bass, a bassoholic even, might enjoy something like this to play with, but I'm not about to buy one on the other hand. I recently enjoyed playing with an old dbx unit I have had since the early 80s, a Dynamic Range Expander (a DBX 1 Series Two). Used it mostly with vinyl in a modest 2ch setup, it sounded good to me more then than now, tho but that was a different room/speakers 30 plus years ago, too. Fun once in a while, but not a sound for application across the board so it's not going in any of my main systems, just into one of the 2ch setups I put together in my office/spare bedroom.
I understand. I like to mix pro-audio with home audio. I also have two BBE Sonic Maximizers, one for the main channels and one for the center. You can even patch in a Driverack and have fun. Im not an audio purist. I like and prefer the pro-audio sound. I also Have three Yamaha P3500S's for all channels and they sound awesome. In my opinion, pro-audio is where its at and integrated correctly can IMPROVE your system, not diminish it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's fine, if you want to think its a gimmick, go right ahead bro, its no sweat off my balls. Most movie theaters in America has or is still using the device for movie playback so i guess they're all full of $hit too. Harman doesn't put out gimimics so suit yourself...
First, I never used any of those words, nor did I criticize your usage of that synthesizer. Nobody is full of it. I just disagreed with you. :) And as I stated, I've had experience with gear similar to that in my former life as a performing and recording musician.

This hobby is about having fun. What works for me may not work for you.
Yes. This I DO agree with. :) To each their own!

Personally, I try to not focus on dogma when I engage with friends or strangers here. Rather, I prefer to keep this about sharing experiences and knowledge. What one person does, might help me make my system perform better... And maybe something I do can help another.

Every Forum is full of criticism about everything.
This is unfortunately too true, too. I found that AH is less like that other site which is why I like to hang out here. Most of us are pretty chill and supportive in questing for knowledge and better sound. :)

Im not an audio purist. I like and prefer the pro-audio sound
Nothing wrong with that!
In my opinion, pro-audio is where its at and integrated correctly can IMPROVE your system, not diminish it.
And some people here will readily agree with you, as they use some pro gear too.

I was curious and had already started to check that out before that whole exchange. You shared something with me, used in a different context than I would have employed it. Though I choose not to employ one, it is not a condemnation of you or your usage of it.

Solid?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understand. I like to mix pro-audio with home audio. I also have two BBE Sonic Maximizers, one for the main channels and one for the center. You can even patch in a Driverack and have fun. Im not an audio purist. I like and prefer the pro-audio sound. I also Have three Yamaha P3500S's for all channels and they sound awesome. In my opinion, pro-audio is where its at and integrated correctly can IMPROVE your system, not diminish it.
I have four Crown XLS1500s and some studio monitors but no purist by any means. I use eq and dsp....the horror. I know a guy in another forum that loves his Bellari unit that is similar to the BBE units...

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
First, I never used any of those words, nor did I criticize your usage of that synthesizer. Nobody is full of it. I just disagreed with you. :) And as I stated, I've had experience with gear similar to that in my former life as a performing and recording musician.

Yes. This I DO agree with. :) To each their own!

Personally, I try to not focus on dogma when I engage with friends or strangers here. Rather, I prefer to keep this about sharing experiences and knowledge. What one person does, might help me make my system perform better... And maybe something I do can help another.

This is unfortunately too true, too. I found that AH is less like that other site which is why I like to hang out here. Most of us are pretty chill and supportive in questing for knowledge and better sound. :)

Nothing wrong with that!

And some people here will readily agree with you, as they use some pro gear too.

I was curious and had already started to check that out before that whole exchange. You shared something with me, used in a different context than I would have employed it. Though I choose not to employ one, it is not a condemnation of you or your usage of it.

Solid?
Absolutely solid!! Thanks for the friendly reply and i agree 100%. I actually have allot of respect for guys like you because being a musician, you can pass down information that many of us audio guys haven't really come across or cared to explore. I've recently taken an interest in music and music recording as well as learning from a musician perspective and it opened my eyes to allot more things that pertain to Audio and Home Theater. Especially EQ.

If other audio enthusiasts took that road for awhile, i think they would understand more about what they're listening to wether it be movies or music. There's more to this than what meets the eye. When i sit down and watch an action movie or a cd, i now see things from a different perspective. Im able to position and adjust my speakers better, better purchasing decisions, room tuning etc. Thanks!

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
I have four Crown XLS1500s and some studio monitors but no purist by any means. I use eq and dsp....the horror. I know a guy in another forum that loves his Bellari unit that is similar to the BBE units...
Welcome to the club my friend...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
He's right, you do need to consider how low your room can go compared to how low the sub can go. In my room, bass starts rolling off at around 30hz. So the JBL would be fine for me. Im more of a sceptic and realist pertaining to bass and room modes. Guys will show graphs in REW of their rooms producing bass at 16hz with their two $5000 dollar SVS subs when in all reality, they are not filling the room that low. I don't care what they say and what REW shows.../QUOTE]
So, fwiw, I, like ryan am a musician, have recorded and played my whole life. I, like you, use Yamaha P series(2500), and am familiar with pro gear. I think we can agree on a few things. One being pro gear and home gear need not be mutually exclusive.
However, my question was, and is, how does a subwoofer that rolls off in the upper 20’s do anything below that point. If you sent it a 5hz sine wave it wouldn’t do very much if anything. Why does that change by using the dbx? Keep in mind, I’m one of the nicest guys here, and this is an honest question. I’m not flaming you or being critical of your setup. It doesn’t matter what the content is that’s sent to it, if it can’t reproduce it. Could you use it on a bookshelf speaker with a 4” woofer and get deep bass? No. Probably not, so why does it here. As Ryan pointed out, the CV’s should do the same job without the dbx, as it’s basically playing a synthesized signal ONE OCTAVE BELOW.

Also, to the highlight portion. Since I asked the question, do you have any experience with said subwoofers, or REW and you replied, no, and REW was too time consuming, it seems to me you’re not qualified to make such a statement, and simply justifying your gear. That’s fine, but that seems out of your depth, unless you have the experience to back that up. Smoke and mirrors notwithstanding.
And also, how is you saying that(bold above) any different than what you said about people knocking your setup? In case you ARE wondering, I do have graphs and subs that go to about 14hz.[/QUOTE]

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
Look man, im done with this conversation. Its getting a little rediculous now. Im not making any such claims. I appreciate the fact that you are a musician however, if all you want to do is nit pic this thing to death, im not interested. I explained how the thing works in general. The website explains how it works. It enhances and adds to my system making it sound fuller and deeper compared to it being switched out. I have had a couple of generations within a 10 year period and never blew up, bottomed out or destroyed any subwoofers using it.
If you want to know more, email Harman. Im not here to argue theory or provide engineering information on how things work or explain why you don't think or believe it works because of what you said above. If you think im full of it, fine. I think I've explained it enough and how i like it and why. It looks to me that you're all butthurt over what i said about REW and nice guy or not, you wanna pick a fight. Your assumptions are wrong. Just got off work, gonna go grab some food and im done with this stuff. Sorry i brought it up.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis