Budget receiver 2018/2019?

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I'm looking for a budget receiver for my father who is setting up his first 5.1 system. It has to cost 400$ or less, support Dolby vision pass through and preferably have some dynamic EQ function. Here are some options:
Marantz NR1509
Onkyo TX-NR686
Pioneer VSX-933
Sony STR-DN1080
Yamaha RX-V485

Thoughts?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Amazon has a couple of the Denon 2018 models 50% off...the AVR-X1500H is $299 (I just bought one to upgrade my aging living room Onkyo) and the AVR-X1600H is $429.

I am currently have a AVR-X4300H in my dedicated HT and really like it. Had a Denon 3805 before that and loved that one as well. Yamaha makes good receivers, I owned a DSP-A3090 back in the day and it was a beast. I have had hit or miss luck with Onkyo.

I

Isak Öhrlund

Junior Audioholic
Those Denon's would have been great, but they are not available for that price where I live :/ (Sweden). I basically have to choose among the ones I quoted (prices in Sweden can be checked at www.prisjakt.nu). I am running a Denon X2300W myself, and a X4500H is on the way!

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I'm looking for a budget receiver for my father who is setting up his first 5.1 system. It has to cost 400$ or less, support Dolby vision pass through and preferably have some dynamic EQ function. Here are some options:
Marantz NR1509
Onkyo TX-NR686
Pioneer VSX-933
Sony STR-DN1080
Yamaha RX-V485

I basically have to choose among the ones I quoted
Thoughts?
Based on your budget and your requirements, the Pioneer VSX-933 is the preferred option, with some flexibility. If necessary and you decide on 7.2 channels. It supports Dolby Vision HDR10 as required, and its own dynamic EQ functionality with its acoustic calibration method MCACC.

Second in line is the Yamaha RX-V485BL with bare minimum requirements, but outputs a little more wattage over the Marantz NR1509, and you can daisy chain the subwoofer if necessary for a 5.2 channel, since there is only one pre-out subwoofer channel.

Next is the Marantz NR1509, similar to the Yamaha RX-V485BL in specifics, but with an added subwoofer pre-out, which supports 5.2 channels.

The Onkyo TXNR686 is a 7.2 channel has good features and flexibility, but my reasoning for it being this low in the options is reliability of the unity. Maybe someone who is familiar with this model can enlighten you about the reliability concerns.

Lastly, the Sony STR-DN1080. It would have been the preference choice, over the Pioneer VSH-933 with more flexibility options of the unit, which includes IR remote in and out, but it lacks the basic requirement of Dolby Vision and HDR10.

This is only my opinion. My information was ascertained from the data and specifics of each of the products listed. Hope this can help in your decision.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis