budget KEF vs. budget Polk

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
For movies and tv in the bedroom (10x14 and powered by a Denon 1909), would you choose the KEF IQ1 or Polk Rti A1? Both have 5 1/4 woofers, same price, finish, etc.

I've listened to the Polk Tsi100's at BB (w/a sub) and for MOVIES, they were impressive at the price point. I can get the higher model A1's online for less than the Tsi's retail for. I'm thinking I should jump on this but want to give KEF a fair shake.

I don't read about many KEF owners on here :(

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Personally, I would choose the KEF's... but that's me. ;)

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
Personally, I would choose the KEF's... but that's me. ;)
For what reason? I'll be honest, I didn't consider Polk at all because like most of you, I've become moderately anti-"big box" brands. .....like they're sellouts or something (ie Klipsch, Def Tech, etc). If that's your reason (that Polk's have less street-cred), then I'm there with you. If there's another, please share :)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I like KEF's over Polks myself, but that's my ears. Everyone has different taste and you should go with one sounds best to you.

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic

You say "budget" but don't really mention what that "budget" is. The reason I ask is that I was in a similar place and finally realized that I could get a much better deal (read bang for my buck) by looking in the pre-owned market. Audiogone.com is a great place to look. I would also say that speakers are one place you don't want too much compromise. I personally began by looking at many of the common brands found a BB, CC, and Fry's and had settled on Polk RTi's. That was until I looked at used and specifically Monitor Audio and the Silver series. Now I'm not saying you should jump from Polk to MA but I am suggesting that their is much more out there for you to see and hear :)

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
For what reason?
Because I have chosen KEF before; I own a pair of iQ1's. Hence the ";)".

There are a number of quantifiable acoustic parameters that dictate how a speaker will sound, and how well the speaker performs within those parameters dictates how "good" the speaker will sound to most people. Given that very few speakers perform close to the ideal, it becomes a game of trade-offs and a persons tolerance of mediocrity. Or to put it another way, liking something that is less then ideal is all personal preference.

And personally, I like KEF. :)

Z

zippy753

Enthusiast
I don’t have extensive experience with KEF but I had the KHT3005 eggs for a while and thought they worked quite well. I like the way they mount the tweeter in the center of the bass driver cone and it seemed to do what they claim. Other small speakers I tried sounded OK in the sweet spot but totally different when I stood up or even shifted my weight to scratch! The KEFS did disperse sound better and I was quite happy - although, in the end, I decided I just needed bigger speakers.

I didn’t end up with another pair of KEFs but I suppose the IQ series touts the same claims with the tweeter mounted in the center of the bass driver. I will definitely consider KEFs the next time around because of my positive experience. While I’ve never compared Polk and KEF together, KEF is certainly more unique. And Polk…well, marketing is important too.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Kef Vs Polk

I owned the IQ1s briefly and moved up to IQ3a which are not much better. Both are thin sounding and localized in the two areas I tried them. I would opt for the Polks given the same price...per attached, IQ1s being sold out for $199 so they are half the price of the Polk which may be a consideration....

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=31322

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Those KEF speakers are on huge clearances atm. So the value per price will be higher for a KEF speaker.

If you don't mind bulky. I would suggest you take a look at a pair of Infinity Beta 20 too.

The CMMD tech is very nice for highs and the bass produced is quite nice. Just note they are rear ported. They also come with metal grills.

Do the iQs come with metal or cloth grills?

If you can spare the funds the iQ3s would also be a good deal.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Very good point DonBattles!

You say "budget" but don't really mention what that "budget" is. The reason I ask is that I was in a similar place and finally realized that I could get a much better deal (read bang for my buck) by looking in the pre-owned market. Audiogone.com is a great place to look. I would also say that speakers are one place you don't want too much compromise. I personally began by looking at many of the common brands found a BB, CC, and Fry's and had settled on Polk RTi's. That was until I looked at used and specifically Monitor Audio and the Silver series. Now I'm not saying you should jump from Polk to MA but I am suggesting that their is much more out there for you to see and hear :)
DonBattles,

very good point!. It was just about what I was going to ask? What is you budget? There are very, very good product recommendations at all price points. And, please don't take this the wrong way, Polk and KEF are not the ones that are usually recommended. But remember, your ears are the final judge. If they sound good to you and meet your budget requirments then it doesn't matter what other peopel say. .... sO AUDITION the speakers you plan to buy.

Good Luck!,

MidCow2

Last edited by a moderator:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Jamie's recommendations are always excellent!

KEF over polk no question fogettabouiut......:cool:
OP, I don't know much about Polk and KEF brands, but Jamie does and if he stongly says KEF over Polk and you are down to those two choices and only those two, I would take Jamie's advice in a heartbeat ;)

Later,

MidCow2

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
One thing that is great about KEF is in the case that you use a horizontal center like almost everyone else does. The coincidental design sidesteps lobing, and even if these coaxial drivers are flanked by bass woofers, any lobing will most likely be below the critical vocal passband.

Of the better horizontal speaker designs , KEF also makes the shortest, obviously due to said coincidental design.

If I was choosing HT speakers all over again, I'd make darn sure to listen to some KEF products.

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
DonBattles,

very good point!. It was just about what I was going to ask? What is you budget? There are very, very good product recommendations at all price points. And, please don't take this the wrong way, Polk and KEF are not the ones that are usually recommended. But remember, your ears are the final judge. If they sound good to you and meet your budget requirments then it doesn't matter what other peopel say. .... sO AUDITION the speakers you plan to buy.

Good Luck!,

MidCow2
I was looking to get a pair of fronts and a center for under $400. Again, small bedroom system, but wanting way more than HTIB for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I like KEF loudspeakers for what they do near field but the difference in imaging between the two loudspeakers otherwise is a matter of taste. A soft dome tweeter(e.g. Polk) is pretty much my soulmate in regards to monkey coffins but some folks integrate a metal dome properly.

You can't go wrong with either choice...it's what you hear. Whatever you choose, I'd be very interested in reasons why.

Mark

C

cl35m

Banned
For movies and tv in the bedroom (10x14 and powered by a Denon 1909), would you choose the KEF IQ1 or Polk Rti A1? Both have 5 1/4 woofers, same price, finish, etc.

I've listened to the Polk Tsi100's at BB (w/a sub) and for MOVIES, they were impressive at the price point. I can get the higher model A1's online for less than the Tsi's retail for. I'm thinking I should jump on this but want to give KEF a fair shake.

I don't read about many KEF owners on here :(
The polk RTI's are known to be harsh and bright. If that's your style then go for it.

Auditioning is the key.

Most prefer the vintage polks over their new made in china stuff.

http://www.polksda.com

Good luck and enjoy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis