Budget floorstanders for me?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm considering getting a pair of floorstanders for my 2-channel system. My power is a NAD c370 Integrated Amp (120watts x 2) and my budget is $900. I do not plan on using a powered sub.

I have local dealers for Paradigm, PSB, and Klipsch. As for internet-direct I've been reading reviews of the Axiom M60, and the Swan 6.1. Are there any other good contenders in my price range I should consider?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I'm considering getting a pair of floorstanders for my 2-channel system. My power is a NAD c370 Integrated Amp (120watts x 2) and my budget is $900. I do not plan on using a powered sub.

I have local dealers for Paradigm, PSB, and Klipsch. As for internet-direct I've been reading reviews of the Axiom M60, and the Swan 6.1. Are there any other good contenders in my price range I should consider?

Are you stuck on getting something new?

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
The ones that your local retailer are a good place to start. You mentioned internet-direct possibilities, so another option (if you can eek out another c-note) are the Ohm MicroWalsh Talls:
Here's a review.
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/walsh/micro.html

I'm not a huge fan of reviews, but with direct-only sales, you need to start somewhere and it happens to be a very honest one. The one aspect of their sound that isn't really mentioned in detail in the review, is their transparency. They are very neutral speakers. I almost hate to use that word because it makes one think of a "flat", or "even" sound, almost like the speakers are holding something back - it's more like they have no sound at all! The last time I talked to the desgner at Ohm, he mentioned that a major mic manufacturer is using Ohms to test their mics because of their "neutral" sound. Anyway, the review will give you a good idea.

The Ohms will match very nicely with the nad c370. They are not very efficient speakers, but the nad is a nice amp and has more than enough power (my Mac amp is only 100W, and it's more than enough). The trial period is 4 months with a money-back guarantee, more than enough time to compare them to other brands. BTW, the guys at Ohm are very helpful and the speakers are upgradeable (they upgrade/service all speaker models that they every manufactured).

Have fun! Oh yeah, I know I bash Paradigm, but they are worth considering. :D

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are you stuck on getting something new?
I'm open, but I'm not going to drive six states away to buy a piece of used gear I've never heard.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
You may want to also consider Rocket from AV123. Used Paradigm models can be had for about half of retail. Speakers don't really wear out and used ones that are only a couple of years old for 900 will most likely outperform new models that retail for 900. Polk Audio has been doing quite well in value for the dollar too. The only person who can decide which sound he likes is you. If you take 5 1000 dollar speakers systems and compare them the sound will be quite different between them. Some speakers outperform their peers in certain price categories and some just sound different, not really better or worse. Audiogon.com and Ebay have good amount of speakers for sale. You should definitely check out some Vandersteen 2CE Signatures as they're probably the most sold speaker in history of high end audio. The PSB Stratus Gold is also a very good speaker that can be had for around 800 used. A receiver will work with either of them. Do a google for reviews and you'll find plenty. Another advantage of buying used is you can just resell and not lose money if you don't like them.

Last edited:
J

Joshr

Enthusiast
Lots of good options mentioned already...I would add to the mix Monitor Audio Silver S6...I liked them more than PSB T65, especially if you will be sub-less as I found the PSBs to be a little weaker on the low end (and this was a direct A/b comparison in same room with same music).

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
I bought my McIntosh XR16's on ebay for $600. I think they are some of the best speakers I've ever heard. I bought them because my Dad has a set of XR6's, and I loved the way they sounded. I talked to Roger Russell and he informed me that the 16's were even better. They are the best investment I've ever made.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis