Budget Classical Recordings

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Hello All,

Was hoping I could get some recomendations on budget classical recordings with stellar sound quality. Lets say 11.99 or less. 10.00 or less would be even better. Im aware of Naxos, but specific picks would be great. I listen to just about all genres except opera and harpsichord music. My classical collection is a little lacking in the reference quality area. I have many of the basics already which are good performances, but I need some great sounding stuff to evaluate equipment.

Cheers,
Glenn

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
2 budget classic recommendations

Manuel Barrueco - 300 years of Guitar Music - VoxBox - 3 CDs $15.99

Mikhail Pletnev / Scarlatti Sonatas - Virgin Classics 61961 - 2 CD $10.99
(this is the same as the recording on Virgin Classics 45123 listed on Amazon for $32)

Both are great bargains. The Scarlatti is an all-time favorite of mine. If it were an LP, I'd have worn through 6 copies by now.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I would have to say worry less about quanity and buy for quality purposes. Generally, there is a reason some recordings cost more than others. The cheap recordings are good to figure out what composers or works you might like.

The SFSO has quite a few good recordings you might want to check out. It never hurts to support your home town Symphony.

Which ever way you decide to go here are some works you might want to check out.

Symphony Fantastique - Hector Berlioz
Symphonic Metamorphosis - Paul Hindemith
Symphony 3 - Beethoven
New World Symphony - Antonin Dvorak
Requiem - Mozart

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Thanks a bunch for the advice and I will check out some of the stuff listed.

I guess what I was getting at is im looking at a purely sound quality and quality performance basis. I know the major lables ( DG,Phillips,London, Sony etc.) all have budget and midline levels. Is anyone familiar with there older stuff that has reference quality sound. Im sure there is some stuff that was mixed well. I have a few old Karajan recordings that are great. I do look on the used market and find stuff but was hoping someone had some specific recordings in mind.

Thanks Again,
Glenn

J

JJNab

Audioholic Intern
For sonic beauty, I recommend Karajan's phenomenal Bruckner 8 on DG. IMHO, this is one of the finest classical recordings ever made. If you like Bruckner, the Tintner recordings on Naxos are also very good, with excellent sound quality. Other good picks on Naxos are the Bach Motets and the Dvorak and Janacek string quartets. If you like guitar music, some of the discs in Naxos' Laureate Series -- featuring young artists, usually winners of major competitions -- are really great. I would recommend particularly the recital discs of Antigoni Goni, Denis Azabagic, and Franco Platino. These are all recorded in a massive old church in Canada, I believe, and have exceptionally clean sound. EMI red line has loads of terrific older recordings that are very cheap, but sound quality is of course mixed. You might check out Barenboim's recordings of the Brahms piano concertos and Gidon Kremer's of the Sibelius violin concerto.

Hope this helps, JJ.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Naxos' Laureate Series is very impressive both from the sonic and musical standpoint. I have several discs from that series, and the Fabio Zanon discs are amazing.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Thanks fellas. I will check some of that stuff out.

Cheers,
Glenn

G

gdm

Enthusiast
For the past 30 years or so, I have found that it is hard to beat The Musical Heritage Society. No minimum purchases and decent prices.

They sometimes have their own private recordings but mostly private label almost all of the major brands, including Naxos, Chandos, etc. You are talking 1,000s of cds, etc.

Might check them out. Been with them for many years and still have a boatload of their vinyl!!

www.musicalheritage.com

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis