Pwaynez

Pwaynez

Enthusiast
I am putting together a home theater and have had some great help from the community regarding PJs, speakers and now I need a receiver on a budget. Probably looking at top end of $300. I would like to stay lower end towards $200-$250 but if something makes sense for what I need I am open to suggestions. I would like to get several recommendations on what would be good in this price range but also WHY. I am trying to learn the WHY not just 'get this one, its in your budget and does lots of things.' Thanks!

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
what have you looked at?
That's a very entry level price and you will get a decent avr with any of the top brands. I'd guess they will all provide the same basic functions, etc. Perhaps the room correction method...Yamaha vs Denon vs Pioneer etc will be the biggest difference.
At that price it's basically close your eyes and pick one...good luck and keep us posted.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to get the best bang for your buck, check out here.

https://www.accessories4less.com/

First, figure out what features you need and how much power you need to drive your speakers. You don't really give us a heluva lot to go on.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Most importantly what speakers will you be driving?
If the AVR doesn't meet the needs of your speakers you won't be happy!
That said, most AVR's meet the needs of most speakers, but it is important to make sure!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What features in the avr do you need? If you don't need the latest/greatest then maybe used could be a good way to go, too.

Pwaynez

Pwaynez

Enthusiast
What features in the avr do you need? If you don't need the latest/greatest then maybe used could be a good way to go, too.
I dont know exactly tbh. As I said I am very new to audio and surround. Would like a Dolby Atmos down the road. Needs to work with a 1080p projector. I dont exactly know what all 'features' are out there even. I guess I would also like some sort of room correction as my room isn't the most ideal for sound.

Most importantly what speakers will you be driving?
If the AVR doesn't meet the needs of your speakers you won't be happy!
That said, most AVR's meet the needs of most speakers, but it is important to make sure!
I am leaning towards the NHT SuperOnes and eventually adding NWT SuperZeros for surround down the road. Unsure of the sub currently.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont know exactly tbh. As I said I am very new to audio and surround. Would like a Dolby Atmos down the road. Needs to work with a 1080p projector. I dont exactly know what all 'features' are out there even. I guess I would also like some sort of room correction as my room isn't the most ideal for sound.

I am leaning towards the NHT SuperOnes and eventually adding NWT SuperZeros for surround down the road. Unsure of the sub currently.
Well if you only have 1080p then 4k features you could perhaps live without, that's the sort of thing I was referring to. Room eq can be another, or one that can deal with two subs vs one. Driving low impedance speakers another.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
At your price range, I would go used. There are tons of perfectly functional later model AVRs out there that you can buy that would be great for you and be much higher end than a new $300 unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis