Bryston Model T Floorstanding Speakers

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Stupid privacy settings. I was hoping for a picture in a furry outfit, not just a picture of his speakers.
Haha! Sure, it took about 10 minutes of flipping through some pictures (don't worry, monk, I won't say who's) until I saw what I thought was him...and then another five to confirm it.

No weird outfits, yet. Well, unless you count that balloon gun. :p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Haha! Sure, it took about 10 minutes of flipping through some pictures (don't worry, monk, I won't say who's) until I saw what I thought was him...and then another five to confirm it.

Sounds intimidating :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

Nope, I don't own a fursuit. They go for a few grand. Way more than i'm willing to spend!

Add me Adam. :)

God damn it. That's 2 so far who've seen that picture. This is unforunate. xD

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Apparently, the model Ts weigh in around 108 lbs which is roughly 50 pounds more than the Axiom M80 which they resemble. Maybe there is something more to them than what greets the eyes.

Here's a thread discussing their inception and build.

Bryston Loudspeakers

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Hopefully Bryston didn't take Axiom's advice on cabinet bracing, which they seem to view as a bad thing. Plus I believe the 8" woofers are similar to the drivers used in Axiom EP400 subwoofer, which is pretty beefy drivers.
3 of them would add quite a bit of weight so I still probably wouldn't count on it being a engineering masterpiece when it comes to bracing.

Also the new Middle T tower
Middle T.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully Bryston didn't take Axiom's advice on cabinet bracing, which they seem to view as a bad thing. Plus I believe the 8" woofers are similar to the drivers used in Axiom EP400 subwoofer, which is pretty beefy drivers.
3 of them would add quite a bit of weight so I still probably wouldn't count on it being a engineering masterpiece when it comes to bracing.

Also the new Middle T tower
View attachment 11645
I would like to see more details on this speaker rather than base things on assumptions. You could be right but you may be wrong as well. There's just not enough information on them to evaluate them either way. Bottom line, for 10K, I expect almost flawless performance. Time will tell.

E

exlabdriver

Fully agree 3db. How someone can pre-judge what is inside the box by looking at pics of the exterior is fascinating to me.

Evidently they did a bunch of experimenting with different bracing configurations in their normal anti-standing waves shaped cabinets that have been implemented successfully for years. The bracing that they use is ideal for their boxes & optimized for that design & shape. It works just fine from what I've heard with my 3 sets.

The Bryston cabinets seem to have a somewhat similar shape but who knows what's inside until someone has a look? In the end, as long as it sounds good to the purchaser, that's all that counts...

TAM

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
The Bryston cabinets seem to have a somewhat similar shape but who knows what's inside until someone has a look? In the end, as long as it sounds good to the purchaser, that's all that counts...
You can put two and two together, the model t is 50lbs heavier than the Axiom M80. The Model T uses modified EP400 woofers, you own a EP400 right? The EP400 heavy weight comes from the large magnet. Add 3 of those large drivers to the M80 with the large heavy magnets and you make up probably close to 50lbs. So guessitmation is that the MT is heavier because of the much larger drivers like the custom EP400 driver. Even if they weight about 10lbs a piece for the driver thats 30lbs and then take into account the extra height 52.5" compared to Axiom M80s 39-40" and you can see its not going to be 1.5" thick front baffle and a dozen .75" front to rear bracing top to bottom.

When you've taken apart so many speakers and you have an idea of the drivers you can pretty much guess how its going to turn out. Like you said if it works its works, but you also have NO basis to say i'm wrong or right.

Some care for sound as well as build quality. If thats not one of your criteria for purchasing speakers fine, but its very important to some folks. Not just those crazy audiophile fools.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Fully agree 3db. How someone can pre-judge what is inside the box by looking at pics of the exterior is fascinating to me.
When one has sufficient knowledge they can tell quite a bit about a loudspeaker by simply looking.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/83794-revel-reintroduces-their-$10-000-sealed-18-sub.html#post943786

How many people do you think want to listen to this:

View attachment 11654

Not many! Why? Because one can tell simply by looking that it is outdated and lacks the quality of a modern product. When's the last time you've seen tinsel leads glued to a speaker cone? Probably quite a long time! Gluing the leads to the cone causes it to flex and increases linear and nonlinear distortion. There are many other things I can say about this speaker, but nobody wants to hear about it, so lets move on.

Let's say gtpsuper24 is wrong and the increased weight is attributed not to the larger bass drivers, but to the most sophisticated bracing system ever used in a loudspeaker.

Let's say this (Dayton sub right next to it ;)):

View attachment 11652

Now we know the Model-T has a completely dead cabinet. It also has two $12-$25 tweeters (similar to this) vinyl wrap, and a 6-10K price tag. Even if it has the best bracing in the world, who cares? There are many speakers in the 6-10k range that distribute their budget far better. I'd rather have better tweeters, anything other than vinyl, and a little less bracing...

Now, I can't tell you exactly what this speaker sounds like just by looking at it, but I can tell you there are speakers out there that have much better value. This for instance:

View attachment 11655At $1,500 it's a steal. ;)

View attachment 11653 VS View attachment 11656

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
What everyone is overlooking is there is a reason why this speaker was designed in Canada by Canadians whether natural born or transplants and why the development took a couple of years. Follow along, now. While points that have been made by monkish and gt in a general sense have merit, they miss the point that the speaker has a Canadian voicing. Anyone who has been to Canada knows full well there is an accent, eh? And if you haven't but maybe have seen some interviews of Canadian born hockey players on ESPN, then you know what I mean. I'm sure Gene can confirm that Ian from Axiom has a district accent.

Well, Canadians, whether they want to admit it or not, find it a bit disconcerting dealing with the wide variety of American accents. They're constantly rewinding hockey programming. Trying to figure out what non-Canadian players are saying. The same with Neil Young, a Canadian, who seems to have become Americanized. No different with Steve Nash, the Laker's point guard. Even Celine Dion poses some small amount of difficulty.

So what they've done is to select drivers that while they may not meet your criteria of world class, are eminently suited to not only enhance the Canadian accent, but also make people who aren't from Canada sound as if they are. Now they can listen to a wide variety of music, watch all sorts of movies, and finally understand sports announcers that aren't native to their country.

E

exlabdriver

Pic in Model T thread at AVS - nice looking box in Zebra Wood veneer IMO.

From Ian - 'That's a 1.5 inch thick front baffle and one pile of intricately positioned braces!'

As is often the case, some of the assumptions were a little off...

TAM

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General

From Ian - 'That's a 1.5 inch thick front baffle and one pile of intricately positioned braces!'

TAM
But again, who cares? :p The weight/bracing is unimportant when we're talking about a $17 tweeter in a 6-10k speaker...

Not to mention TWO 17 dollar tweeters...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
But again, who cares? :p The weight/bracing is unimportant when we're talking about a $17 tweeter in a 6-10k speaker...

Not to mention TWO 17 dollar tweeters...:rolleyes:
I think it's a "all about the name " pricing vs actual construction or materials chosen. I would think since most people enjoy Bryston amps, Bryston much be assuming that their 1st speaker would be "the best they can do" but like most of the " BIG' producers of audio devices, overpricing based on a name is not the way to win a market. But like I said further back, who knows until someone actually puts these speakers in a test environment and does some measurements of the internal vibrational behavior of the panels and the other usual impedance and axis measurements not to mention how the speaker actually sounds to see if the "price and construction of this speaker equals the price advertised. I think all high end speakers and audio equipment manufacturers today are living off the name to justify price, its time to get real with pricing..

Last edited by a moderator:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
TAM...why do you continue to post these little useless retorts....both here and elsewhere? Have them send the speaker to any credible 3rd party reviewer and people will back off poking holes in this speaker designs/ or flaws. You talk about your health and yet to continue lurking maaking your usual snide comments...come on man...:)

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

TAM
It's refreshing to hear Ian is placing more importance on cabinet bracing (at least for Bryston products) these days. In my last conversation with him, he was quite adamant about using less bracing to lower the frequency of panel resonance which is the exact opposite of what most (if not ALL) credible loudspeaker designers agree upon. In fact we have two very in-depth articles, one written by David Waratuke who is a structural engineer and expert on the subject matter, that addresses this very subject matter.

Needless to say that Zebra wood looks like a very nice looking cabinet finish.

Here is a must read on this topic:
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/detailed-look-proper-loudspeaker-cabinet-bracing

Last edited:
gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
TAM...why do you continue to post these little useless retorts....both here and elsewhere? Have them send the speaker to any credible 3rd party reviewer and people will back off poking holes in this speaker designs/ or flaws. You talk about your health and yet to continue lurking maaking your usual snide comments...come on man...:)
Those Axiom guys just love to try and censor everyones opinions that doesn't jive with Axioms marketing emails. Ian and the gang will never send their stuff to a independant unbiased reviewer. They like the fluff pieces with no substance so they can grap a little snippet and post on their site. Hell they even shout down owners of their own product who didn't like it or had legimate complaints. They'll never take a chance with a unbiased review/test. No faith in their product. Just marketing.

Here is that article Ian wrote about his thoughts on cabinet bracing, incase anyone wants to read/reread it again. Seems he has changed his mind on the subject, use to be too much bracing was a bad thing and now its "look at the beast, double thick baffle and a stack of bracing" October 2011

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis