B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Lately we have been getting Voltage dips/ Brownouts where I live.
Each time I loose my EQ settings on my AVR.This is my concern.I realy could care less if I couldn't watch a movie or listen to music durring these times. I just want to save thoose settings on the AVR. Usualy the voltage dip is less than a seconds, but I loose everything .( couple times a week)
I have been looking at Belkins Pur Av 30800-10 and the APC J-10/ J-15.
I do understand from what I've read that the APC units are a cut above the Belkin but at double the price.For my needs would the Belkin be enough? As the brownout season is sure to get worse, for longer periods,k Am I on the right tract, or is there less/more I should be looking at.
Thanks

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Power issues

Suprised that your receiver is losing the settings so easily. Most require that they be unpluged for a couple days before the memory is ereased. Maybe there is a small battery inside the receiver that can be replaced to prevent the issue.
Regardless, based on the power fuluctions in your area, a good power center would be a good investment. Make sure you get one like the APC H-type that has voltage regulation so when the voltage drops to 80-90 Volts, it will boost it back to 110. For longer brown outs or outages, you will need something with a UPS/battery backup like the products from APC and Tripplite.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Tanks for the reply.I went ahead and ordered the APC J-15.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure why you need the J-15. The APC 1500VA BX1500 unit has fully *configurable filtering, transfer voltage regulation values, sine wave battery backup output, and is less than half the price (about $210 USD) than the J-15 at local office supply store such as Staples.

-Chris

*You must connect a computer to the data port to configure some parameters.

S

Space Ace

Enthusiast
BMO, let us know how you like the J15. I am on the fence as to whether I should get the J15 or just the H15. I have a 60inch Sony SXRD, among other home theater equipment, with a bulb to protect. My main concern is that the J15 puts out a stepped sine wave when on battery.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Trip lite also has some gear marketed towards HT for under $200. THE APC 155 that WmAx is the way I would go.. IMHO...

S

Space Ace

Enthusiast
I found an H15 at Micro Center in Santa Clara, Ca., so I picked it up. Got it for a good deal under retail. Thinking about eventually getting an APC SUA750 Smart UPS for just the SXRD. In the mean time, everything is going through the H15. So far, all is running well.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
majorloser said:
You can buy refurb units direct from APC.

http://buy.apc.com/commerce/storefronts/factoryoutlet/default.aspx?StorefrontCode=apcfo&CountryCode=us&tsk=

For the money of the "audio specialty" equipment. I'd buy a Smart-UPS 1,500VA. The Smart-UPS units only pass 0.3% surge let-through. The S-15 will pass 0.7% surge let-through.

DO NOT BUY THE Back-UPS!!! They have a 5.0% pass through.
I wonder if the surge through may only apply to the surge only outlets. The BACK UPS units such as RS or XS series, for example, can be configured via a computer to transfer to battery from power line source within a user specified range of upper and lower voltage limits.

It should also be noted that the BACK UPS vs. SMART UPS have other functional difference. The BACK UPS units do have a substantially higher THD in the sine wave output when on battery power vs. the SMART UPS. But then, does anyone here intend to run their equipment only on battery? It can make a difference in some applications when actually using battery power. I have a 1000 VA SMART UPS and a 1200 VA BACK UPS. My 21" Trinitron FD CRT monitor on my computer makes a slight buzzing sound when on battery power from the BACK UPS, but not when on the SMART UPS battery power.

If absolute surge protection is desired, please remember that you must use high grade surge protection on all entry points to the equipment[phone lines, cable lines, etc.].

-Chris

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

WmAx said:
I wonder if the surge through may only apply to the surge only outlets. The BACK UPS units such as RS or XS series, for example, can be configured via a computer to transfer to battery from power line source within a user specified range of upper and lower voltage limits.

It should also be noted that the BACK UPS vs. SMART UPS have other functional difference. The BACK UPS units do have a substantially higher THD in the sine wave output when on battery power vs. the SMART UPS. But then, does anyone here intend to run their equipment only on battery? It can make a difference in some applications when actually using battery power. I have a 1000 VA SMART UPS and a 1200 VA BACK UPS. My 21" Trinitron FD CRT monitor on my computer makes a slight buzzing sound when on battery power from the BACK UPS, but not when on the SMART UPS battery power.

If absolute surge protection is desired, please remember that you must use high grade surge protection on all entry points to the equipment[phone lines, cable lines, etc.].

-Chris
The point I was making is how much of a surge you want your equipment to see. Just as an example, 5.0% of a 1,000V over-voltage surge (50 volts) vs. 0.3% (3 volts). Also, the smaller Smart-UPS will have a greater surge capacity rating (joules) over the larger Back-UPS. And most Smart-UPS will allow additional batteries to be added for longer run time (if needed).

My REAL point of the first post was why spend more money on a piece of equipment that will fit in the rack when a standard design UPS will give you more for the money. They are built to handle far more sensitive equipment then audio.

How long the battery lasts or how clean the power is while it is on battery is not as important as the units ability to handle normal dirty power conditions.

I'm just saying you can pick up a damn good unit refurbished from APC with a warranty. You can even pick up some "real beast" rack mountable units for pretty good prices.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
I've had the APS J-15 for a week now.
Have had at least 3 brown outs (Voltage dips )since installing it.It hasn't gone into battery mode yet.It does, every evening go into AVR.
When voltage drops below 116 it bumps it to 224.
I unplugged it and it's very very quite in battery mode.
I have an HK 635, Parasound 1205A,Panny Plasma ,dvd and cd player connected to it.Wife says the Panny Plasma is brighter now, I can't tell the difference.Maybe I'll plug it back into the Panamax Conditioner and see if she can realy see the difference.
No complaints yet except for the ON/Off button light. It's big, and for me to bright. All other lighting on unit can be turned off.
The real hot season has yet to come, but with it comes power outages. When it does I'll know more .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis