M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
yesterday on the show mythbusters they were attempting to to create something called a brown note, apparently thers a conspericy theory that if you can creat a low enouph sound somewhere in the 9 - 5 hz zone at 108db that you can cause people to become disorented and loose controle of there bowels, they were useing an arry of 24 subwoofers that had about 25,000 watts, unfortuantly they wernt able to create the brown note, which would have been pritty funny, anyways anybody hear of such a thing before, it was a first for me.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
heh, a loud enough treble signal can disorient people as well, but not make them crap...more like just make them fall over if they are standing up.

This almost sounds like the concepts various govts had for using sound waves for easy, non-lethal riot control many years ago...I wish I could find the articles on it, it was a pretty good read.

Personally, I think just blasting Yanni loud enough would disperse most crowds. :p

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I saw the episode and they were mostly unsucessful at proving the case. The observers a bit away did experience slight nauseousness. Maybe it was because they were trying to reproduce a specific frequency at a specific SPL as defined by the 'myth' rather than just trying all combinations of frequency and SPL.

However, it is a fact that low bass at really high SPL will cause all kinds of problems for the human body. On another forum, someone posted that their mother is an ER nurse and the paramedics brought in two boys that sat in the back seat of a car designed for those bass contests. They were only there a few seconds. One did crap his pants and the other was partially paralyzed for a few days (fortunately he recovered). I believe it was 15 Hz at 140dB.

Look at the OSHA guidelines for SPL. At 190 dB, instant tissue death occurs. If you were in close proximity to a bass wave of 20 Hz or below at that kind of SPL, I would imagine it would destroy your entire insides, leaving just a shell of skin and bones. No way Mythbusters or anyone else would try to prove that.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I'm not sure if they're SPL was that high, but it was very high on Mythbusters. They all had protected earwear and they ranged the frequency from 9 on up and nothing happened to the test subject.

I think your story about the poster whose mother is an ER nurse is exactly the kind of urban myth these guys were trying to bust.

If simply sitting in a car with it blasting the bass was cause for those kinds of problems, the ER would be filled daily with people effected in this way. But they aren't, so I'm inclined to think the poster was making it up.

Speaking of Yanni, I heard that there was a 7/11 that was having problems with teens congregating in it's parking lot and they tried everything until they hit on the idea of playing classical music.

No teens. :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Shadow_Ferret said:
I think your story about the poster whose mother is an ER nurse is exactly the kind of urban myth these guys were trying to bust.

If simply sitting in a car with it blasting the bass was cause for those kinds of problems, the ER would be filled daily with people effected in this way. But they aren't, so I'm inclined to think the poster was making it up.
I certainly can't verify a story told second hand so who knows.

But the type of systems installed in cars for the max SPL contest is a different story. NOBODY sits inside them. Apparently these kids wanted to try it and see and the results weren't pretty.

Those cars are not driven - they are nothing but pure woofers and amplifiers. In my opinion, its the dumbest hobby around and super expensive to boot.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
My friend had a daily driver truck he used for amateur SPL contests....the bench seat's bottom was replaced with a woofer box with butt-cushoins. 4-12", 1-15", 2-8", and 3 pairs of 4" separates in an f-150 standard cab....it was retarded to say the least....and yes, we blasted it once...my little troopers were in pain from being so close to the woofer box, and I did puke from that pain :*(

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Personally, I have become nauseous from the neighborhood "kids" that drive by my business with their "rolling box of bass".

There was one of those fine automobiles ( I believe it was an '88 Caddy ) that pulled into a neighboring business at the end of my business day and sat there for about 10 minutes just "pumping away". The sound level (spl) and/or frequency was truly nausiating to me. I quickly shut down my tasks, jumped into my car, and drove away. As I looked into my rearview mirror as I left my parking lot, I noticed two patrol cars pulling into the driveway of the adjoining business, and just seconds later, my rearview mirror light up from the blue light bars on the patrol cars.

I believe the owner of the "rolling box of bass" just found out how expensive it was to "pump up the volume".

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
yeah, I always play Yanni when I'm on the throne. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Anonymous said:
I certainly can't verify a story told second hand so who knows.

But the type of systems installed in cars for the max SPL contest is a different story. NOBODY sits inside them. Apparently these kids wanted to try it and see and the results weren't pretty.

Those cars are not driven - they are nothing but pure woofers and amplifiers. In my opinion, its the dumbest hobby around and super expensive to boot.

I am hearing the latest craze is installing railroad horns in cars, cranking out a tremendous amount of spl in a wide fr range. Outlawed already in many areas.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
I'm just waiting for some tard to make a giant 18hz or lower tuned airpipe (think pipe organ) in their backyard and see how bad he could mess with everyone on the block.

Shadow_Ferret said:
I'm not sure if they're SPL was that high, but it was very high on Mythbusters. They all had protected earwear and they ranged the frequency from 9 on up and nothing happened to the test subject.
Disclaimer: I didn't see the show...

That's the problems with MythBusters, though I like the show... They rarely have in-depth or scientific procedures when they try to discredit something. To them, if they try it one way (usually an extreme - to their credit) and it doesn't work, then the myth is busted. Never mind the other 999 possible factors that could be involved.

Like the time they used one cell phone to disprove the gas-ignition theory. They pumped all sorts of fuel concentration levels in - but they never changed the phone! While I don't think for one second cell phones can ignite at the gas pump, their method was ridiculously flawed from the onset. What if a single Motorola model had a possible ignition source while LG did not...

In this case "They all had protected earwear" shows that they have little understanding of how very low frequency waves work on the human body. What's funny is that they probably stood way back from the experiment - giving the waves ample time to actually propogate before hitting them and assuring that the test subject, while receiving high SPLs, was probabaly not getting the actual frequency in question. Let me know how they did it - for those of you who saw the show.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Clint DeBoer said:
In this case "They all had protected earwear" shows that they have little understanding of how very low frequency waves work on the human body. What's funny is that they probably stood way back from the experiment - giving the waves ample time to actually propogate before hitting them and assuring that the test subject, while receiving high SPLs, was probabaly not getting the actual frequency in question. Let me know how they did it - for those of you who saw the show.
They had a wall of woofers and the young guy (Jamie?) stood directly in front of them while wearing ear protection. The equipment they used to generate the tones was some distance away and the people at the control panel didn't appear to have ear protection unless they were only wearing the small in-ear plugs.

I thought the test was inconsistent because although they did vary the frequencies, they also varied the SPL. So eg. they tested 9 Hz at 100 dB but when they moved up in frequency they also moved up in SPL. They didn't test alot of combinations of frequency and SPL - almost like they had decided beforehand which SPL for which frequency.

If the space were enclosed, like inside one of those cars for competition bass contest that can generate 150+ dB at 10 Hz, I'm sure he would have crapped his pants and felt awful to boot.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Clint DeBoer said:

That's the problems with MythBusters, though I like the show... They rarely have in-depth or scientific procedures when they try to discredit something.
I saw this episode. The test they performed can not be taken seriously IMO. The sound system could not produce levels much above 100dB at 10Hz. This was one of the more pathetic mythbusting attempts I've seen on the show.

BTW, did you see the recent episode where they packed over 400lbs of high explosive inside of a cement truck and detonated the thing? That was COOL!

-Chris

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:

That's the problems with MythBusters, though I like the show... They rarely have in-depth or scientific procedures when they try to discredit something. To them, if they try it one way (usually an extreme - to their credit) and it doesn't work, then the myth is busted. Never mind the other 999 possible factors that could be involved.

Like the time they used one cell phone to disprove the gas-ignition theory. They pumped all sorts of fuel concentration levels in - but they never changed the phone! While I don't think for one second cell phones can ignite at the gas pump, their method was ridiculously flawed from the onset. What if a single Motorola model had a possible ignition source while LG did not...

Never seen the show, but the gas-ignition problem is overwhelming women. theorized it has more to do with static discharge due to clothing then the phone. Wish I could find the report done by my automotive employer :(

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
yeah the SPL bit is way off. Haven't seen the episode, but i know people who compete in DB competitions professionally, and if you're in the car without ear wear... VERY BAD THINGS. A lot of these cars aren't driven either.. just rolling bass box. One guy who's sponsored by JBL, his van doesn't even has a gas tank anymore. But there are some cars that are actually driven that can produce crazy bass levels as well. Long time ago, i had a friend who had i think 12-15" Cerwin Vega Strokers in the cab of his s10. It was so loud he tested it at the shop, and this kid standing next to the car started having seizures. The kid had health problems though, but still.. that's crazyness considering he wasn't even in the car. All those cars though... people don't sit in the car during comp. There's a remote from the outside.. and when you get to the higher levels, there's even people seperate podiums.

S

soundsawful

Audiophyte
Tex-amp said:
Clint DeBoer said:
What's funny is that they probably stood way back from the experiment - giving the waves ample time to actually propogate before hitting them and assuring that the test subject, while receiving high SPLs, was probabaly not getting the actual frequency in question. Let me know how they did it - for those of you who saw the show.
probably a bit late for this, but i just watched the episode - the test subject stood in the middle of what looked like a bunch of front loaded double 15" cabinets stacked i'd say about 3 meters apart. they tried everything from hitting him with 9Hz at 108dB to sweeping between 30 and 100 Hz at 154dB, with no effect.

i still think they missed it here - im really surprised that nobody took into account wave propagation. 9 Hz has a wavelength of roughly 40 meters. as the tests were conducted in an empty carpark i doubt anyone would have been standing that far away, although there was mention that the medics attending at safe distance felt some ill effects.

basically i think the test subject was standing way to close to the source to prove anything.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Anonymous said:
I saw the episode and they were mostly unsucessful at proving the case. The observers a bit away did experience slight nauseousness. Maybe it was because they were trying to reproduce a specific frequency at a specific SPL as defined by the 'myth' rather than just trying all combinations of frequency and SPL.

However, it is a fact that low bass at really high SPL will cause all kinds of problems for the human body. On another forum, someone posted that their mother is an ER nurse and the paramedics brought in two boys that sat in the back seat of a car designed for those bass contests. They were only there a few seconds. One did crap his pants and the other was partially paralyzed for a few days (fortunately he recovered). I believe it was 15 Hz at 140dB.

Look at the OSHA guidelines for SPL. At 190 dB, instant tissue death occurs. If you were in close proximity to a bass wave of 20 Hz or below at that kind of SPL, I would imagine it would destroy your entire insides, leaving just a shell of skin and bones. No way Mythbusters or anyone else would try to prove that.

Im not gonna say youre mom was wrong but my friends car does 145 Db and we have sat in it for over an hour with no problems (Not to say thats smart but its been done). And my car does around 130-135 Db I never get more than a headache from either car. Also last week on Mythbusters they broke glass with sound. I dont rember what exactly the Htz was I think around 108? But after breaking a few with amps and such they had a guy break one with just his voice. He tried over 20 times with 20 glasses before he did it but they believe that its the first video of it being done un amplified.

Sean

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
guess88 said:
yeah the SPL bit is way off. Haven't seen the episode, but i know people who compete in DB competitions professionally, and if you're in the car without ear wear... VERY BAD THINGS. A lot of these cars aren't driven either.. just rolling bass box. One guy who's sponsored by JBL, his van doesn't even has a gas tank anymore. But there are some cars that are actually driven that can produce crazy bass levels as well. Long time ago, i had a friend who had i think 12-15" Cerwin Vega Strokers in the cab of his s10. It was so loud he tested it at the shop, and this kid standing next to the car started having seizures. The kid had health problems though, but still.. that's crazyness considering he wasn't even in the car. All those cars though... people don't sit in the car during comp. There's a remote from the outside.. and when you get to the higher levels, there's even people seperate podiums.

Sorry for the double post. You are alowed to sit in the car if you want up to 150 DB. And anyone who stays in the car has to have some serious ear protection. They are very serious about saftey with that theres a maditory meeting about saftey and if your car goes over 150 with you in it you have to stop and it dosent count you have to re-try later out of the car.

Sean

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
south park

I saw the brown note experiment and also a south mark episode where 4 million kids on recorders play the brown note(set up with a song for a prank), and the whole world crapped their pants, that was funny.

The mythbusters one was done fairly well, but they could have done a better job.

As far as car audio subwoofers go, who cares.
If kids die in cars and go to hospitals because of their stereo's, you won't see any sympathy from me. Im putting a stereo in my car, but im not going to be stupid about it. Some pioneer speakers and a nice 10inch sub. Thats it. They should make it a law where the car stereo has to have a DB cap like the exhaust. Hahaha, that would be sweet.

sheep

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis