Broken Remote Control Help

B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast
Hello - I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I bought a used electric projector screen made by Vapex Systems for our outside patio. The remote control up button will no longer function and there are no buttons on the projector to raise the screen. The button on the remote feels and sounds like it should work but it's like it's not getting any power and will not light up the small bulb on the remote where the other buttons still do. I added a picture of the remote. It looks like the company is no longer in service so no luck trying to order a new remote. I tried cleaning it with Isopropyl alcohol and the other buttons are now more responsive but still no luck with the broken one. I then ordered 2 replacement remotes below (click on links):

RF Wireless Remote
Universal Wireless RF Remote

I can not get either to work with it. Please let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got a pic of the backside of the buttons and the board underneath them, to see how they make contact? I've used this stuff on some remote button types to fix conductivity. As far as universal remotes maybe check the Logitech database to see if your gear works with some of theirs (which you'd likely need to buy used now since production has been discontinued)? I know some have had good success with replacement remotes from these guys https://www.remotes.com/

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Did you check the manuals? If you can’t find the answer online tech-support should be free for a new product..
I’ve only used harmony remotes, which are discontinued. If they’re compatible with your device, you can always get them used.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello - I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I bought a used electric projector screen made by Vapex Systems for our outside patio. The remote control up button will no longer function and there are no buttons on the projector to raise the screen. The button on the remote feels and sounds like it should work but it's like it's not getting any power and will not light up the small bulb on the remote where the other buttons still do. I added a picture of the remote. It looks like the company is no longer in service so no luck trying to order a new remote. I tried cleaning it with Isopropyl alcohol and the other buttons are now more responsive but still no luck with the broken one. I then ordered 2 replacement remotes below (click on links):

RF Wireless Remote

I can not get either to work with it. Please let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks for looking.

Dan
I have found out one thing. The remote is not the usual IF remote, but an RF remote, which is radio frequency.
So you would need to find the required frequency and then construct a transmitter of the correct frequency.

I have to assume that the RF signal generator for that required frequency has failed.

I doubt you will solve this with another remote and I doubt the remote you have is fixable from a practical standpoint.

If it were me, I would take the screen apart and identify the switch circuit for the function you want and buy a remote switch and wire it into the unit and then get a generic on off remote switch.

A simpler solution would to install a wired switch to turn the required circuits on and off.

I am sure that remote is not fixable or replaceable, so you will have to find another way to turn the screen motor on/off for up and down.

I have one idea. Take a picture of the back of the remote. It might list the operating frequency which will be in the MHz range. You might be able to find a curtain remote that operates on the same frequency.

You are not alone with this problem I have found out. I guess Vapex lost a bunch of money with those screens. It seems there was no problem they were not known for. So if you have to junk the thing it will be no big loss.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

RF Wireless Remote

Thanks for looking.

Dan
Find the part number and look on ebay.

Check out this review, from Audioholics- it indicates that the screen can be raised and lowered using its 12VDC trigger- look in the area of the screen where connections and manual controls are located- if it has an 1/8" (3.5mm) jack, you can use the 12V trigger out, if you have an AV receiver with this feature. If you don't and you have a universal remote, buy a lamp module and a 12V wall wart power supply, run a thin wire to the projector and solder a 1/8" plug onto it, so it can plug into the screen.

Look for a cover that can be removed on the end of the screen shroud- they usually like to hide the controls.

If you don't have a universal remote, buy a smart plug/outlet and use the phone app to control it. You'll still need the wall wart power supply.

The link shows a wall wart- it can be any brand, but make sure to check the screen's specs for current draw so you can get a power supply that will work correctly and for a long time.

1723301943670.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Check out this review, from Audioholics- it indicates that the screen can be raised and lowered using its 12VDC trigger- look in the area of the screen where connections and manual controls are located- if it has an 1/8" (3.5mm) jack, you can use the 12V trigger out, if you have an AV receiver with this feature. If you don't and you have a universal remote, buy a lamp module and a 12V wall wart power supply, run a thin wire to the projector and solder a 1/8" plug onto it, so it can plug into the screen.

Look for a cover that can be removed on the end of the screen shroud- they usually like to hide the controls.

If you don't have a universal remote, buy a smart plug/outlet and use the phone app to control it. You'll still need the wall wart power supply.

The link shows a wall wart- it can be any brand, but make sure to check the screen's specs for current draw so you can get a power supply that will work correctly and for a long time.

View attachment 68780
If he uses that trigger like you say, then that should get him out of trouble.

highfigh

highfigh

If he uses that trigger like you say, then that should get him out of trouble.
I paid less than fifteen dollars for each pair that I use- the first are Energizer, which I use to turn on a fan and the stereo in my garage, the others are Feit, which I use in the house, along with their dimmers and a couple of cameras- I separated them to prevent the app being too cluttered. All of the Feit can be controlled when I'm away, so I can change the lighting schedules if I want to make it seem that I'm here and I can see what's happening through the cameras.

When I see products like these, I always think of ways they can be used, aside from just lamps.

B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast
Got a pic of the backside of the buttons and the board underneath them, to see how they make contact? I've used this stuff on some remote button types to fix conductivity. As far as universal remotes maybe check the Logitech database to see if your gear works with some of theirs (which you'd likely need to buy used now since production has been discontinued)? I know some have had good success with replacement remotes from these guys https://www.remotes.com/
Thanks for taking time Jedi - I added more pictures to my post. I did not see anything that matched up on remotes.com but I can call them as well.

B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast
Did you check the manuals? If you can’t find the answer online tech-support should be free for a new product..
I’ve only used harmony remotes, which are discontinued. If they’re compatible with your device, you can always get them used.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Samurai. I was not able to find a manual but I can look into the Harmony remotes.

Last edited:
B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast
I have found out one thing. The remote is not the usual IF remote, but an RF remote, which is radio frequency.
So you would need to find the required frequency and then construct a transmitter of the correct frequency.

I have to assume that the RF signal generator for that required frequency has failed.

I doubt you will solve this with another remote and I doubt the remote you have is fixable from a practical standpoint.

If it were me, I would take the screen apart and identify the switch circuit for the function you want and buy a remote switch and wire it into the unit and then get a generic on off remote switch.

A simpler solution would to install a wired switch to turn the required circuits on and off.

I am sure that remote is not fixable or replaceable, so you will have to find another way to turn the screen motor on/off for up and down.

I have one idea. Take a picture of the back of the remote. It might list the operating frequency which will be in the MHz range. You might be able to find a curtain remote that operates on the same frequency.

You are not alone with this problem I have found out. I guess Vapex lost a bunch of money with those screens. It seems there was no problem they were not known for. So if you have to junk the thing it will be no big loss.
Thanks for taking the time to reply TLS - The remote still works since the screen still lowers and stops. I can get the screen to go up just a bit when I hit the small learning button on the projector screen. If I have to take the projector apart I may need to find someone that understands this stuff a bit more. I also need to watch my costs - still have 4 kids. If I can can't do this fairly inexpensive I may just have to save my money for a new one -some are as cheap as about $130 on Amazon. Thanks again

B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast

View attachment 68780
Thanks for taking the time to reply Highfigh - It looks like that link was for a stationary screen? But I will look again. There are 2 ports on the side of the projector screen per by new pics. I did not see a 3.5mm jack. I am only using a projector and a sound bar. My quick check on the internet I could not find a manual control to plug into the screen. I can research the 12v trigger idea. I do have a smart plug but I am not sure if that will solve my problem but I can research it. Thanks again

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for taking the time to reply Highfigh - It looks like that link was for a stationary screen? But I will look again. There are 2 ports on the side of the projector screen per by new pics. I did not see a 3.5mm jack. I am only using a projector and a sound bar. My quick check on the internet I could not find a manual control to plug into the screen. I can research the 12v trigger idea. I do have a smart plug but I am not sure if that will solve my problem but I can research it. Thanks again
I have read the review. Unfortunately Hi-Fi is mistaken. The trigger would be on your projector, and you can synchronize your remote to a 12 volt radio trigger. There is no trigger on the screen.

Part of your issue is that you have been looking at IR remotes and not RF remotes.

See if the frequencies in MHz are listed in the back of the remote.

What they used was curtain remote technology. Now the FCC issued a relatively small number of frequencies for these remotes. So there is a good chance you could find a curtain remote to replace your broken remote.

If this does not work, you are out of luck and need a new screen.

The one photograph I really wanted is not there! I need a good picture of anything written on the back of the remote, not the inside of the back, but the outside.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I have read the review. Unfortunately Hi-Fi is mistaken. The trigger would be on your projector, and you can synchronize your remote to a 12 volt radio trigger. There is no trigger on the screen.

Part of your issue is that you have been looking at IR remotes and not RF remotes.

See if the frequencies in MHz are listed in the back of the remote.

What they used was curtain remote technology. Now the FCC issued a relatively small number of frequencies for these remotes. So there is a good chance you could find a curtain remote to replace your broken remote.

If this does not work, you are out of luck and need a new screen.

The one photograph I really wanted is not there! I need a good picture of anything written on the back of the remote, not the inside of the back, but the outside.
Trigger out can be in the projector, AVR, etc but a motorized screen needs a trigger input in order to be activated when something sends voltage.

The manual for the screen should have a lot more info than the back of the remote.

highfigh

highfigh

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong link.

In order to help, the model of the screen is needed. If it has no jack for trigger or switch that can be mounted on a wall or in a small box on a table, it would be odd. Using one method makes it useless if the remote fails, as you're finding.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong link.

In order to help, the model of the screen is needed. If it has no jack for trigger or switch that can be mounted on a wall or in a small box on a table, it would be odd. Using one method makes it useless if the remote fails, as you're finding.
That is the problem, However I did find on a forum some place that someone had solved the problem with an RF curtain remote. It seems it was likely by good luck. Often in these RF remotes the frequencies are listed on the back. In fact they are supposed to be, by FCC regs. However, as I'm sure you know China does not always follow the regs. If it is recorded anyplace it will be on the back.

The other thing is that I think the unit may be able to be synched to another remote.

I think an RF curtain remote is his sole option.

highfigh

highfigh

That is the problem, However I did find on a forum some place that someone had solved the problem with an RF curtain remote. It seems it was likely by good luck. Often in these RF remotes the frequencies are listed on the back. In fact they are supposed to be, by FCC regs. However, as I'm sure you know China does not always follow the regs. If it is recorded anyplace it will be on the back.

The other thing is that I think the unit may be able to be synched to another remote.

On an integrator's forum, people have asked and found RF remotes when a device needed to be controlled and it may have been a case of losing the original, the dog ate it, the kids decided it was a pool/bathtub toy, etc. Assuming this screen can be functioned using contact closure, the aftermarket control should work, as long as someone can open the control section and make the appropriate connections. THAT'S the reason I asked for the model number- without it, it's really hard to make a good recommendation for a replacement.

I would like to see the other end of the screen enclosure- if it has a small, glossy spot, that may be an IR sensor window and that could make life easier.

Or, maybe the screen's control board has a 'learn' button- it would be an easy way to make these in large quantities and not worry about a stockpile of dedicated remotes not working, not being in stock, etc. At that point, parts is parts.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Looking at the photos you posted, the end of the case with the power on it has two connection points. One of which is labeled 'MANUAL CONTROL', that's the connection I would focus on to try to get control of the screen.

You do not need to play with your projector in any way with this and don't need to worry about that.

Odds are good, but not 100%, that one of those 6 pins is a 'common' pin. That pin needs to be touched against the other pins to get a 'up' and a 'down' from the screen. It is also possible one of the pins are 'stop'. You want a 6 pin RJ11 connection with some wires coming off of it and plug it in. Then short out the wires to one another until the screen goes up/down as expected.

Another option may be to pick up something listed as a replacement remote...

Then follow the instructions in a video like this which should help you pair it to your screen...

B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast
On an integrator's forum, people have asked and found RF remotes when a device needed to be controlled and it may have been a case of losing the original, the dog ate it, the kids decided it was a pool/bathtub toy, etc. Assuming this screen can be functioned using contact closure, the aftermarket control should work, as long as someone can open the control section and make the appropriate connections. THAT'S the reason I asked for the model number- without it, it's really hard to make a good recommendation for a replacement.

I would like to see the other end of the screen enclosure- if it has a small, glossy spot, that may be an IR sensor window and that could make life easier.

Or, maybe the screen's control board has a 'learn' button- it would be an easy way to make these in large quantities and not worry about a stockpile of dedicated remotes not working, not being in stock, etc. At that point, parts is parts.
Thanks Highfigh - Unfortunately I can not find a model number which is strange. There is a learn button on the same side as the RJ11 port. I did buy a new RF remote but the learn button and new remote didn't seem to synch. The learn button activates the screen to move it up and down about an inch. I may reach to the remote company for assistance if I can not get a different remote to work.

B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast
Looking at the photos you posted, the end of the case with the power on it has two connection points. One of which is labeled 'MANUAL CONTROL', that's the connection I would focus on to try to get control of the screen.

You do not need to play with your projector in any way with this and don't need to worry about that.

Odds are good, but not 100%, that one of those 6 pins is a 'common' pin. That pin needs to be touched against the other pins to get a 'up' and a 'down' from the screen. It is also possible one of the pins are 'stop'. You want a 6 pin RJ11 connection with some wires coming off of it and plug it in. Then short out the wires to one another until the screen goes up/down as expected.

Another option may be to pick up something listed as a replacement remote...

Then follow the instructions in a video like this which should help you pair it to your screen...
Thanks BMXTRIX - With your recommendation I was able to get the screen up by inserting an old RJ11 connection and touching wires together. I figured out that Yellow and Black together is up, Yellow and Green is down and Yellow and Red are stop. This helps a lot especially if I can not get the or a remote to work. I am not giving up just yet on a remote. I think this idea on these pictures of a remote I bought might help. The instructions that were included were not helpful but I think I should put the green wire in the "Down" port, black wire in the "Up" port, and red wire in the "Stop" port and then try the yellow wire in the "On" port? I am not sure what to put in the "Off" port just yet. Then I would secure the transmitter near the screen and use this remote to work off the transmitter. What do you think?

Or do I need something like the last photo to give me power for the transmitter?

Attachments

Last edited:
B

Bunzmon

Enthusiast

Thanks TLS Guy - I do remember seeing some remotes with a frequency sticker on the back. Unfortunately the back is blank on my remote.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis