Bridge collapse in Genoa

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
It wasn't that early- I was there about ten minutes later. :D

Weird and unsettling to see something like that in an adjacent lane. IIRC, it was a failure of the fasteners, not a structural member. I pass under the Hoan regularly and from that view, it looks to be in good condition, but MKE has a lot of other bridges that aren't in good condition. One is a railroad bridge over 1st St, North of Lincoln Ave and not only is it old and decrepit, trucks have hit it so often they installed steel tubing in front of the lower edge where the impacts occur.

Remember when the Locust St bridge was rebuilt (Nancy Laffee, from Channel 12 drove onto it one night, during the time when the surface was still being removed)? I was still/back in school at the time and in one of our classes, we discussed some of the problems of the roadways- that bridge had major structural members that had lost 70% of their cross-section in some areas.

I drove past County Stadium after Big Blue fell, too. Earlier in the day, I was thinking that it would be crazy to lift but sure enough, someone with a higher pay grade thought otherwise. I worked in Pewaukee at the time and the wind was blowing hard all day.
Thanks for the technical details, SWERD.

I wasn't living back here when Big Blue went down during the lift. But that whole project was mistake prone from the beginning. They decided to use Chinese welded steel sections because it was cheaper. Not cheaper when the welds were bad and had to be redone on sight. The Big Blue failure, etc.

Yeah, we have a lot of bad bridges in the Milwaukee area. I go under I43 at Layton by Hales Corners and lot and seeing the chunks of concrete missing and the rebar hanging down is unsettling. I know the RR bridge you mention. That is bad. There is another bridge on the east side that I can't remember where it is but I remember looking at it about 6 months ago and thinking this thing needs to be replaced fast.

As for lifting in bad conditions, happens all the time. I was at Open Doors Milwaukee up in the US Bank building when they decided to lift more glass windows onto the Northwestern Mutual building. Not sure if they were showing off or what. But the wind was gusting a good 15-20 mph. It spun those glass windows like a top. They lifted about 2 before they accepted that doing so was a really bad idea in those wind conditions.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the technical details, SWERD.

I wasn't living back here when Big Blue went down during the lift. But that whole project was mistake prone from the beginning. They decided to use Chinese welded steel sections because it was cheaper. Not cheaper when the welds were bad and had to be redone on sight. The Big Blue failure, etc.

Yeah, we have a lot of bad bridges in the Milwaukee area. I go under I43 at Layton by Hales Corners and lot and seeing the chunks of concrete missing and the rebar hanging down is unsettling. I know the RR bridge you mention. That is bad. There is another bridge on the east side that I can't remember where it is but I remember looking at it about 6 months ago and thinking this thing needs to be replaced fast.

As for lifting in bad conditions, happens all the time. I was at Open Doors Milwaukee up in the US Bank building when they decided to lift more glass windows onto the Northwestern Mutual building. Not sure if they were showing off or what. But the wind was gusting a good 15-20 mph. It spun those glass windows like a top. They lifted about 2 before they accepted that doing so was a really bad idea in those wind conditions.
I remember hearing about the need to re-weld and reinforce the welds- it's probably one of the main reasons we're still paying the 'Stadium Tax'. Penny-wise, dollar foolish is a good way to describe it but the problem is really about trade and the desire to have a clean environment- making steel is a dirty business.

WRT East Side bridges- are you seeing this from the bike path, or on roads? I'm having a hard time thinking of many that I drive under with this kind of damage, but then, I'm only on my first cup of coffee. I think I can visualize it, but can't remember where it is- large area of missing concrete in the middle of the lane with more chipped out at the edge, right?

MKE has a long tradition of doing things by choosing the lowest bid and in mane cases it's mandatory, but foolish- the cost is lower for a reason and that reason has nothing to do with one person wanting to give the other a better price for the same quality. The parking structure panels across from the Calatrava are a good example and it cost someone their life. The Hoan has needed maintenance, but it's in good condition for a large bridge that has stood for close to 50 years.

I can't imaging trying to stop a pane of glass that's being blown around by strong wind- stick a hand out and it's "Golly, that's not good".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis