Brick&Mortar vs Internet Direct: Where do you buy your Audio/Video Gear?

Where do you buy your AV Gear?

• Brick&Mortar AV Retail

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Internet Direct

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I look for used gear in the classifieds

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I shop for the best price with all options on the table

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • a white van

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
D

Defcon

Audioholic
B&M (and in general the concept of service) is disappearing from all industries. The sad aspect of this is not only the loss to consumers and the the negative impact on a local community. The real impact is felt in third world countries where manufacturing is moved and people are exploited - in some areas like cotton, coffee etc its really sad what our demand as consumers results in.

Back to audio, I think B&M stores have a golden opportunity to educate customers on the advantages of a proper HT setup - most people do not know anything about it. Instead, the stores end up servicing the high end and become intimidating, and the big box stores don't care - they'd rather sell Bose and soundbars, when in fact they could make much more sales if they showed people how to setup a proper system.

The advice given to many on the Internet - start with 2.1/3.1, slowly expand to 5.1, focus on the right things etc, can also be given at these stores, and they will then have repeat customers who are very grateful. Just my 2c.

F

Ferd Smurf

Audiophyte
I don't know of a single remaining independent B & M store around here. The Big Box stores are just a no mans land, I won't go in them for even an interconnect. I bought everything in my current system either on line or used from a member on an internet forum or I built it myself. I don't go in for the over priced smoke and mirrors & snake oil brands. If it's not based on good physics and sound engineering I can understand (I'm an engineer myself), I'm not interested. The down side to this approach is you have to put in a lot of groundwork, you have to be able to see through a lot of the marketing gobbledygook, you have to be able to understand the underlying physics and engineering and the biggest is your opportunities to see, hear & feel the gear in person before buying are extremely limited. This is where the online community is valuable even though there is a lot of dis-information online as well.

H

HiFi Centre

Audiophyte
The picture in this article of the room with Mcintosh and Sonus Faber is from our store Hi-Fi Centre in Vancouver, Canada. We have 5 two channel rooms and 1 pretty crazy home theatre. Anyone who lives in or is visiting Vancouver is invited to come in and listen to cool music on some great gear. Our website is hificentre.com and we have an online store shop.hificentre.com

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased a Yamaha 2050 from Amazon. Would MUCH rather have been able to go to a B&M, but no one within 100 miles carried it. Where have all the Audio listening stores gone?
The receiver did arrive within 2 days and in perfect condition, so I can't complain.
I understand Best Buy is opening DESIGN CENTERS with a better selection of audio gear than Magnolia stores had, but right now there are only 15-20 nationwide.
The problem is all these items are EXPENSIVE to stock for small stores, but I'll only use the internet if I have to.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I buy what I buy where I buy it.

My last purchase (plasma TV) was at a Bricks & Mortar "Big Box" style reseller (Visions, Canada). Before that ... from the manufacturer in China, before that, used via Audiogon from a dealer (demo unit), before that from an Audio specialty B&M, before that, retired machine from a pro audio firm (record company), and so on.

I don't have a hard and fast rule; it depends on what I'm looking for, where it's available, and the usual criteria (price, warranty, local or shipped, national or international, etc). You have to weigh each one and make your decision on the merits of each individual situation.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Who are the two smart***** that voted "white van"? :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I buy what I buy where I buy it.
Me too. For our HT system I ordered the Outlaw Prepro internet direct, the ATI amp was from an internet retailer, the speakers were from Amazon (indirectly from a B&M retailer), the TV was from Best Buy, and the AV cabinet was a local high-end B&M retailer from whom I've purchased several expensive products from. Not only did the B&M store beat internet pricing (and Best Buy pricing), they had one in stock, so no special order would be required, and delivered it for free by literally following us home from the store with their truck.

1dwn5up

Enthusiast
If it's a large purchase (TV) big box store, too many internet videos of TV's getting tossed around. Sure they may have gotten tossed before they got to the big box store, but I feel better bringing it home myself.

Smaller items, internet after some research.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I support the local (or regional) retail hi-fi/video retailer by buying from them. I do NOT pay a premium over internet prices because I look at the total value of being able to sit and listen (or watch) in person for a good long time and do easy A-B comparisons. Because the local retailers have the higher costs of a physical retail environment, the price I actually pay may be slightly higher, but that investment is quickly forgotten when I gauge the value of being able to see or hear side by side, get good advice, valuable anecdotes of experience, and a face to both complain to when things go wrong or smile with when I'm very happy with a purchase. It's a HUGE difference between that and shipping stuff in and back and waiting.

I recently went to a KEF dealer I found on their site. It was an hour away and I have one closer but this one was open on a Sunday and the drive was a fun, twisty ride on my motorbike anyhow. While they didn't have the exact product I wished to audition in stock (R300), they accommodated me by setting up the "next size up" product (R500) and setting the amp and crossovers to closely mimic the product I wanted. I also auditioned competing brands that I initially had zero intention or interest in hearing. This was an eye-opener because I would NOT have done that if I was just buying blindly off the internet.

In my case, I was looking at a medium size 3-way bookshelf speaker. In the shop I found competing brands really had nothing which hit the same points for me of size, sound and price. Being in the shop in person I could see the physical size of the smallest floorstanding speaker that out-performed the stand mount one and able to make a rational judgment that this speaker used less total space as a stand mount, and with buying stands for those the two choices got really close in price.

Of course I love the art of negotiation too. By being able to talk to the salesman "advisor" (which he genuinely was) I was able to get the right product for my needs in "one shot" at an affordable price point. I still retain the 30 day home audition too. How is this not better than buying from an internet direct dealer? By supporting the local brick & mortar retail outlet through my purchase, they will be there for tomorrow's needs too.

One interesting and related side note is that I also auditioned and bought a product which was until recently, an internet direct one. It seems that SVS has "seen the light" and understands that retailers can move a lot of product for them, and take on the role of support locally to ease the strain on their own resources. Smart. And I really like my new SVS SB1000 and KEF R500 speakers!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sure they may have gotten tossed before they got to the big box store, but I feel better bringing it home myself.
Actually, there is a good chance that they have not been tossed around before reaching the big box store. I am pretty sure most companies and distributors have minimum order limits which result in palletization of the product. So, while a forklift fork probably gets stuck through the occasional flat panel, there is no way that (obviously damaged) box would make it to your hands.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are we allowed to mention which B&M or online store we bought our gear from?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Are we allowed to mention which B&M or online store we bought our gear from?
I can't see why not, as long as we don't work there...and I don't.

Bought almost all my new stuff from Audio Video Therapy of Nashua NH. They have a somewhat crappy website if you google them, a better Facebook page.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
online retailer charged me $230 for blu-ray player. Few days later I found same player on manufacturers site for $180. first online retailer refunded me $50.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Disclaimer: I do not work for any company listed here or any electronics company for that matter.

Virtually all the electronics I have purchased over the past three years have been online purchases for at-home delivery. Some do in fact have B&M stores, but they are typically out of state or too far to be convenient.

I do most of my research online as well. If I need to see or listen to something, I'll find the closest store that has a decent setup. However, I have ultimately not purchased from those stores since online ordering provided too many advantages.

Details:

Pioneer receiver and Blu-ray player (Crutchfield; no tax in my state plus 60-day return capability made it a winner)
Apple TVs (online order from apple.com, but pickup at local Apple store)
Sony Pro camcorder (B&H)
Canon Pro DSLR, flashes, filters, etc. (B&H)
Cables and some non-electronic photography accessories if better price than B&H, (Amazon)
Computer and accessories (apple.com with delivery to the home) old computer/monitor can thankfully be mailed back to them for recycling.

Having said that, when I next need TVs, I will most likely seek out a B&M. Mainly due to wanting them to do the install (I can no longer lift heavy weights) and haul away the old one.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I can't see why not, as long as we don't work there...and I don't.

Bought almost all my new stuff from Audio Video Therapy of Nashua NH. They have a somewhat crappy website if you google them, a better Facebook page.
I've been purchasing my gear from AV Therapy (formerly Ensemble) for 20 years. John and Mark are great guys and they know their stuff. You don't find many private AV shops open on Sunday. Plus being located in NH no sales tax.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
+1.

I'll keep buying from them too because they listen to YOU and help determine your goals, never overselling. Mark is my go-to guy because we both have the gift of gab and really get into good conversations about the direction I've been heading with my system. He's steered me where I wanted to go, never feeling pressured.

I'll say it again, buying from these kind of dealers works in everyone's favor because they know their market and can approach (usually beat) the best internet pricing, adding value, not cost. By supporting them in buying rather than "showrooming", their store will long be there to be able to see and hear new products, take them home to audition in your place and make the right decision. When you go there to listen and then go home and buy on the interweb, you hurt them and yourself.

I have seen this showrroming thing with motorcycle gear dealers. There were many more shops than there is now. They don't go out of business because they aren't willing to match or beat a price. They're gone because people would go there to try on a helmet for size, fit and brand, then find a deal on-line and buy instead of talking to the dealer about it.

Attention rsharp: Please describe what advantage there is to buying online after using a dealer's resources.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis