Breaking in a receiver

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
droeses58 said:
Don't tell me what I know and don't know about electronics.
droeses58 said:
I think he was making an educated guess based on the evidence at hand?

As far as believing mtry, yeah I know all amps sound the same.:D

Interesting distortion.

For your information Cary Audio is a high end audio company, so what would they have to gain by saying their equipment sounds great out of the box, but it gets even more detail and depth after it's broke in. Again what would they gain.

Oh, it is part of the high end cult in audio, dazzle them with bs, voodoo, no matter what. Makes them look smart as you just proved it by accepting their word without knowing if they are facts.

Next time ask Cary Audio for some data to support their bs. No, just believing and just listening, or customer feedback, is not evidence, not for that but for their not having any facts. Why do you think Cary is exempt from bs mongering?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

droeses58 said:
I'm not trying to get into a piss1ng match with anyone, so maybe I should have stated that mtry believes sonically all amps sound the same in a double blind test. Would that be more accurate mtry?

NO, it is not accurate.

any two amplifiers with high input impedance, low output impedance, flat frequency response, and sufficiently low distortion and noise will sound exactly the same at matched levels if not clipped.)

Maybe next time you could post the real deal.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

philh said:
Do they really do it to eliminate infant product failure? I'd love to see the factory with all these amps plugged in for 100 hours. Electric bill must be a big one :)

Bryston is one:D But they do it for the real reasons as you stated, early failure.:D
I called them once on this.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

droeses58 said:
See....another opinion:)

I knew their was a reason [reasons] for break in.

Much better than Cary Audios opinion on this:D

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
any two amplifiers with high input impedance, low output impedance, flat frequency response, and sufficiently low distortion and noise will sound exactly the same at matched levels if not clipped.)
Oh I see, now I know. Just how many examples of this do you have?:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

droeses58 said:
Oh I see, now I know. Just how many examples of this do you have?:D

What, amps meeting these requirements? Actually, a whole bunch but certainly not all. That is why there are so many DBT listening comparisons with null results. Rather simple.

That Behringer A500 is one for sure, and the Bryston's new 8 ch amp at $5k, 20X that of the Behringer, another, off the top of my head. And, pretty much most of the receivers being recommended here, or looked at and questioned about. But the bag is very large. But you are not really interested in that as your beliefs will not accept it.

By the way, are Cary Amps all tubed gear? Maybe that explains a lot.

Last edited:
droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
What, amps meeting these requirements?
No

You proving that the amps you mentioned and the others mentioned on this forum i.e. the yamahas, denons, h/k's etc. all sound the same given those parameters.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Simple answer to the original question.

Just play the danm thing. If break-in is real you're ears will tell you when it's been accomplished, right?

And, if it's not real you won't hear any change.

In either case, if you don't like the way it sounds a week after you've bought it, pack it up and take it back.

Frankly, I think this whole break-in thing is a myth created by manufacturers to justify the fact that ones ears need some time to adjust to new subtleties in the sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis