BP7000SC Bipolar SuperTower Review?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I really appreciate all of the info on everything... now all I have to do is convince my father-in-law to get some rear surrounds as well... he doesnt have very good hearing... and so doesn't think it is worth to spend too much money on the speakers of the theater room... I have tried my best to convince him otherwise... still working on it. :)

Also, how is the actual movie of Sunshine? was very intrigued by it when it came out in theaters, but never got a chance to actually see it.
That movie is very dark, kind of creepy, but I loved it. It's one of those movies that you already know the fate of the heroes from the beginning, but watching it unfold is still very suspenseful and exciting.

My rating of the movie itself: A+
My rating of the movie soundtrack: A++++++++:D:D:D

It makes awesome use of the BP7000SCs.

The soundstage of the BP7000SCs is awesome. They make you feel like you are TRULY right in the middle of the action, which is different from front-direct-radiating speakers. I don't know exactly how to put it into words, but you just feel like you are there. I mean not just "surrounded", but "you are there".

My wife keeps on complaining, "The speakers make it feel so REAL. They literally give chest pains!"

No, she was not really having chest pains.

Last edited:

vongerv

Audiophyte
Another Option

Gaigebacca, another option to consider:

7001SC with the smaller 10" supercube subs and exact same bipolar array, with the money you save (assuming basic MRSP ~1000-1500) you could supplement with an additional subwoofer.

For the price range of 1 - 2K it is a very exciting time to be looking for awesome deep articulate bass. Depending on the desired level of asthetics, configurablility etc the following could be a lot of fun:

elemental designs
epik subwoofers
svs
av123

to name a few of the IMO top value ID offerings at this moment. Its tough to beat the pleasure that a sweet stand alone sub can provide properly integrated into a theater system. That being said I am extremely impressed with the performance of the subs in the 7000's, flat to 20Hz:eek:!

DefTechGuy, look 1000 miles in any direction and your 'unique' system is duplicated by someone else just as crazy, good to know other people just can't help themselves:D:D.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gaigebacca, another option to consider:

7001SC with the smaller 10" supercube subs and exact same bipolar array, with the money you save (assuming basic MRSP ~1000-1500) you could supplement with an additional subwoofer.

For the price range of 1 - 2K it is a very exciting time to be looking for awesome deep articulate bass. Depending on the desired level of asthetics, configurablility etc the following could be a lot of fun:

elemental designs
epik subwoofers
svs
av123

to name a few of the IMO top value ID offerings at this moment. Its tough to beat the pleasure that a sweet stand alone sub can provide properly integrated into a theater system. That being said I am extremely impressed with the performance of the subs in the 7000's, flat to 20Hz:eek:!

DefTechGuy, look 1000 miles in any direction and your 'unique' system is duplicated by someone else just as crazy, good to know other people just can't help themselves:D:D.
Interesting option on the BP7001SC.

Def Tech is a very large and rich company so they can afford a multi-million dollar facility with state of the art anechoic chambers. According to them, the anechoic measurement of the BP7000SC and BP7001SC are 20Hz-20kHz +/-3dB and 22Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, respectively.

Also according to Def Tech, the BP10B and BP8B are 30Hz-20kHz +/-3dB and 35Hz-20kHz +/-3dB in their anechoic chambers, respectively. The interesting thing is that when Julian Hirsch (of Stereo Review) measured the BP10B and BP8B in their lab/room, the measurements were 25Hz-20kHz +/-3dB and 30Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, respectively.

If we were to indulge ourselves a little and extrapolate this to the BP7000SC and BP7001SC, you could say that Julian Hirsch (RIP) and Stereo Review probably would have gotten 15Hz-20kHz & 17Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, respectively.

But honestly, in real practical life, the BP7000SCs produce heavy duty subwoofer bass. Will they match the bass output of the SVS 13-Ultra, Epik Conquest, Velodyne DD15, Trinity, and some heavy hitters from AV123, HSU, Elemental Designs, Genelec, etc.? No, the BP7000SCs will not.

But will your 2,500 c.f. room ever need such monsterous bass output? No, your room will not.

One other objective of the BP7000SC: Simplicity and seamless integration-- not having to worry about another big chunk of hardware and placing that big black box in the right location.

http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/reviews_PDFs/BP7000SC_AVR307.pdf

http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/reviews_PDFs/BP7000SC_HT1003.pdf

It is very nice to know that there are other crazy people out there like me. I'm not alone.:D

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Been there done that

I too also use 2 SC References in conjunction with the 7000SC's. Before that I used 1 SC Reference in a corner. I found that using 2 subs (especially the Refs) concurrently with the 7000's made a huge difference in overall bass output and clarity. With one sub I could still localize the bass with any freq > 80 hz. I actually tried using the LFE inputs on the 7000's for sh!ts and giggles and the "attack" of the subs did not sound as crisp as using a dedicated sub(s). I am not taking anything away from the 7000's overall output, especially in two channel -- for the price these towers are just unbelievable. But for home theater, which I might add the OP was interested in, my opinion remains resolute: if you can afford it (and have the space) get at least one sub.

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
I love the BP7000SCs so much that I actually bought the BP7001SCs to use as my surround speakers! Only we know what they can do. They have to be heard to believe. So unless you have actually heard them in an actually home theater environment, you won't believe a single word we say.:D

Guys, when I get my new home, I plan on getting another BP7000SCs to use as my Center speaker.:D
this is an interesting thread. i currently have 7001's up front with two s/c references and a trinity. i love the sound of the 7001's but have always felt a little buyers remorse for not initially going for the 7000's, feeling maybe i'm missing a little something. you own both...what do you think?

i'm ready to make an upgrade, either go for the 7000's or buy another trinity. pricewise it would be about a tossup, as i could sell the 7001's to help offset the cost of the 7000's.

you guy's got an opinion on what would make the biggest diff in system?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
this is an interesting thread. i currently have 7001's up front with two s/c references and a trinity. i love the sound of the 7001's but have always felt a little buyers remorse for not initially going for the 7000's, feeling maybe i'm missing a little something. you own both...what do you think?

i'm ready to make an upgrade, either go for the 7000's or buy another trinity. pricewise it would be about a tossup, as i could sell the 7001's to help offset the cost of the 7000's.

you guy's got an opinion on what would make the biggest diff in system?
I would go for the BP7000SCs.

You already have more than enough subwoofers.

Practically, I can't hear much difference in the high frequency, midrange, or upper bass when comparing the BP7000SC and BP7001SC. The only difference is in the low frequency/subwoofer; the BP7000SC has more bass output.

However, on paper, the BP7000SCs may have a flatter frequency response in the MIDRANGE area, but I cannot confirm this because the two sources measuring the BP7000SC and BP7001SC were different: Home Theater Magazine & Sound & Vision Magazine, respectively.

You might as well get the TOP-OF-THE-LINE/FLAGSHIP for the 2 most important speakers in the entire system!
So get the BP7000SCs!!!:D

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
I would go for the BP7000SCs.

You already have more than enough subwoofers.

Practically, I can't hear much difference in the high frequency, midrange, or upper bass when comparing the BP7000SC and BP7001SC. The only difference is in the low frequency/subwoofer; the BP7000SC has more bass output.

However, on paper, the BP7000SCs may have a flatter frequency response in the MIDRANGE area, but I cannot confirm this because the two sources measuring the BP7000SC and BP7001SC were different: Home Theater Magazine & Sound & Vision Magazine, respectively.

You might as well get the TOP-OF-THE-LINE/FLAGSHIP for the 2 most important speakers in the entire system!
So get the BP7000SCs!!!:D

thanks for your input, it carries a lot of weight with me.

deep down i think that's what i wanted to hear.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
deep down i think that's what i wanted to hear.
What you will most likely hear is the increased bass extension that the 7000's have over the 7001's. It is quite dramatic at higher db levels. If you are able, try demoing a SC I versus a SC Ref at your local hi-fi shop; it would be useful for comparison's sake since the 7001 has an onboard SC I and the 7000 has an onboard SC Ref. I personally find the difference in extension worth the price of admission.
Good luck!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis