Bowers & Wilkins Releases 801& 804 D4 Signature Speakers Demo Audible Improvements!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
They’ll probably do a custom color for a custom price. If you have to ask the price you don’t have crazy money to burn. Some of the high end speaker makers will customize their speaker color to match the color of your car. Just got a message about a guy in socal that paid 1.7 million for a Ford GT. He’s probably ordering the matching speakers now. Crazy Money.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Another advertisement for an over priced under performing product. Gotta take the bad with the good with Audioholics...
or it's just another product you can't afford and hate when someone from the press is invited out for a demo and opportunity to write about. Gotta take the bad with the good readers of Audioholics :rolleyes:

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
or it's just another product you can't afford and hate when someone from the press is invited out for a demo and opportunity to write about. Gotta take the bad with the good readers of Audioholics :rolleyes:
Not really. I could afford those, but why would I spend so much money on a speaker company that strays so far from the established science as to what makes a good speaker. Comon Gene, you know better.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Not really. I could afford those, but why would I spend so much money on a speaker company that strays so far from the established science as to what makes a good speaker. Comon Gene, you know better.
I have a reference speaker in my house from a company that wrote the book on "established science" and guess what? It's the speaker we listen to the least in the entire house. It has almost no room gain for bass and despite it having three 8" woofers, it needs a sub to sound full range. I also heard this speaker at several demo set ups at tradeshows and walked away with the same impressions. I think there are good engineering practices to follow as guidelines but I never listen to speakers based on measurements. I've heard 801 D4s in a 5.0 set up that absolutely sounded stellar and I trust my reviewer's opinion that the Signature ver is no exception to this.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own both the Revel Salon 2 and B&W 802D2 in the same room.

If I were to choose between them, I would keep the 802D2. Not because they sounded better. :D

So there are factors other than measurements. :D

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
I have a reference speaker in my house from a company that wrote the book on "established science" and guess what? It's the speaker we listen to the least in the entire house. It has almost no room gain for bass and despite it having three 8" woofers, it needs a sub to sound full range. I also heard this speaker at several demo set ups at tradeshows and walked away with the same impressions. I think there are good engineering practices to follow as guidelines but I never listen to speakers based on measurements. I've heard 801 D4s in a 5.0 set up that absolutely sounded stellar and I trust my reviewer's opinion that the Signature ver is no exception to this.
Really eh? I'm a little surprised by your comment. So you think the frequency response of a B&W sounds as good as a Revel? Interesting. I'm surprised.

I think those 328s were designed to be used with a sub. So if you use them that way, I'd be very surprised if you said those B&Ws would compare favourably to them. If they do, then perhaps a blind listening test would be in order. After all, if Floyd Toole's work has taught us anything, even the most experienced and opinionated of us can have our judgements heavily influenced by bias. ;)

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
I used to own both the Revel Salon 2 and B&W 802D2 in the same room.

If I were to choose between them, I would keep the 802D2. Not because they sounded better. :D

So there are factors other than measurements. :D

I appreciate the honesty. It's a trait that more audiophiles could have. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Really eh? I'm a little surprised by your comment. So you think the frequency response of a B&W sounds as good as a Revel? Interesting. I'm surprised.
Maybe Revel just needs to make their speakers flashier - like put a Marlan Head on their Salon2 and sprinkle a few Diamonds here and there. :D

But I do agree with you - I think the 801D4 would sound "just as good" with a FR of +/-2dB as a FR of +/-5dB. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I think those 328s were designed to be used with a sub. So if you use them that way, I'd be very surprised if you said those B&Ws would compare favourably to them. If they do, then perhaps a blind listening test would be in order. After all, if Floyd Toole's work has taught us anything, even the most experienced and opinionated of us can have our judgements heavily influenced by bias. ;)
If you need a blind listening test to enjoy a poorly tuned speaker, something is really wrong.

I replaced my Revels with active RBH towers and I can finally enjoy music in my upstairs system. The Revels are now in the guest room where even a pair of B&W 704s2s sounded good. If they don't sound decent in there, they go up on Facebook marketplace.

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
If you need a blind listening test to enjoy a poorly tuned speaker, something is really wrong.

I replaced my Revels with active RBH towers and I can finally enjoy music in my upstairs system. The Revels are now in the guest room where even a pair of B&W 704s2s sounded good. If they don't sound decent in there, they go up on Facebook marketplace.
OK so you don't particularly care for the 328s. I can respect that. I still think it could be interesting though for you to blind test them against some others with and without subs. If anyone could do it Gene, it's Audioholics.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
OK so you don't particularly care for the 328s. I can respect that. I still think it could be interesting though for you to blind test them against some others with and without subs. If anyone could do it Gene, it's Audioholics.
I plan on this when I get caught up. Still hoping the f328s will sound good in my guest room before writing them off. But they are definitely an overhyped brand based on my multiple experiences.

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
I plan on this when I get caught up. Still hoping the f328s will sound good in my guest room before writing them off. But they are definitely an overhyped brand based on my multiple experiences.
Cool to the first part. Disagree with the second. I own a pair of f208s and they are the best speaker I have ever heard.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Not really a big deal to 99% of the people since we can't afford them. But nice to read about new stuff, but why don't these companies make or put that research effort into products the 99% can afford. But these new speakers are "pretty" and would look "marvelous" in someones purpose built audio room. Me I like the Blue Metallic and it would go with the wife's' interior color scheme.
View attachment 62491
I let B&W use my house for these pictures. It's just my 3rd house. I don't use it much. So figured they could use it for these new 801D4's. They look great next to the fire place, don't they? They did a really good job hiding all the AudioQuest cables.:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Cool to the first part. Disagree with the second. I own a pair of f208s and they are the best speaker I have ever heard.
I think there's a Revel Speakers Owners Thread somewhere. This thread is about B&W. :D

I bet most people think their speakers are the best speakers they've ever heard - that's why they keep them. :D

And probably a good reason everyone owns different speakers. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis