Bowers & Wilkins New Pi8 & Pi6, Redesigned Wireless IEMs

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Can true wireless in-ear monitors produce true hi-fi quality sound?

That's the conceit of Bowers & Wilkins through its years-long endeavor building high-end true wireless earbuds. B&W's former flagship the Pi7S2 , has now been replaced officially by its new Pi6 that promises similar sound quality at the brand's "entry level" earbuds that will now retail for an astonishing $250. But its the Pi8, Bowers & Wilkins new flagship, that promise to raise the sound-quality bar on true wireless IEMs. In the article below I did a quick rundown of features and predictions of where the two new units will stand among the various high-end earbuds out there.

I actually prefer the manufacturer pay less heed to the "lifestyle" features and conveniences if it means better sound quality. Noise cancelling is handy sometimes, I've always wanted my own Cone of Silence. But if ANC detracts from sound quality (it does) I'll keep it disabled for music. In my humble opinion, I don't need industry leading ANC or microphone voice-quality for phone calls through earbuds that are supposed to be for music. Maybe my dim view of "conveniences" and "lifestyle" features is only because I'm old enough to remember the early days of Bluetooth audio. Everything phone-related seems to (mostly) work now over Bluetooth and I would never purposely attempt to converse using Bluetooth earbuds. If I make a call, I'm putting the 5G waves straight into my head!

Quality audio was the goal and the Pi8 and its $399 retail price make a bold statement. I'll soon see if they live up to it, a review is coming. But so far, I estimate that they have the makings for a great sounding pair of earbuds, even if I personally tend to prefer music over a good pair of over-ear headphones like Bowers & Wilkins Px8. The Px8 is unlikely to be dethroned as my portable audio of choice by a pair of earubds. Subjective comparisons are inevitable.

Bowers & Wilkins Pi6 & Pi8: All-New True Wireless Earbuds!
B&W - Pi8 - Anthracite Black - Beauty.jpg

I just got my hands on them late yesterday and haven't had a chance size the tips and test sound quality correctly, but they do have the look, feel and heft of a quality product. Included in the Pi8 box:

Pi8-Box.jpg

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I did some critical listening to (and own one of) some of their on-ear and circumaural headsets. I haven't done so to anything in the last 4 years; but prior to that, quite a bit. I honestly didn't love their vocals. I hope they've gotten better at this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis