Bowers & Wilkins 704 S2 vs Klipsch RP 8000F

BlackIce

BlackIce

Audiophyte
Hi I am looking for advice to pick between the 2 tower speakers. I am based in New Zealand and very difficult to demo both. I have demoed the Klipsch 280FA and the B&W 700 series at 2 different dealers. I cannot decide which ones to buy. Everyone has their own opinion and doesn't really help. I have been told that Klipsch would be good for movies and B&W for Music.

My Findings
Klipsch RP 8000F - Price NZD $2,500 pair.
Likes: The brand in general, good looks, 8" Drivers, Loud sound.
Dislikes: Only a 2 way speaker so no dedicated mid range. No Piano Black

Bowers & Wilkins 704 S2 - Price NZD $2,600 pair.
Dislikes: Only 6" Drivers

I am not worried about the size of the speaker. I have a Denon AVC-X 6500 to drive these speakers.

I have been told to make a call based on what I want it for. Well I don't know. I listen to music and watch movies. So I want something for both. I am building a 11.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. The Lounge area is about 25 sq mts (269 sq ft), it is an open plan area.

Today Wed 28th Aug. I need to make a call by Friday 30th Aug.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Frequency response is a good deciding factor.

Research has shown that the better measuring speaker will score better (sound better to you and/or everyone else) than the lesser measuring one.

Here’s the Klipsch measured by Audioholics

The trace of the farthest back response will be the on axis response, see how flat it is? This is good.

Here’s the slightly more expensive 702 S2

See how rocky that is? Not good. (Sorry this one from Stereophile has all the individual aspects measured, port, woofer, and tweeter)

I’d say that overall, the Klipsch is going to perform better over extended periods of time (not fatiguing unlike the B&W), and will sound better for movies and for music.

Not to mention the bigger bass response from the 8” woofers.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Audiophyte
Thanks mate. The Sensitivity on the B&W is 88db as compared to Klipsch which is 98db. Plus the Frequency Response is better on the Klipsch too. Just seeing the specs of the 704 its only a 5" driver as compared to the Klipsch 8"

Klipsch - 1 vs B&W - 0

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thanks mate. The Frequency Response on the B&W is 88db as compared to Klipsch which is 98db. Just seeing the specs of the 704 its only a 5" driver as compared to the Klipsch 8"

Klipsch - 1 vs B&W - 0
Ah yes, the sensitivity can also be a factor. It’ll take much less power to run the Klipsch at the same volume as the B&W.

The Klipsch will also handle more power.

Frequency response is the photos I posted though.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Audiophyte
I guess we should make the score

Klipsch - 2 vs B&W - 0

BlackIce

BlackIce

Audiophyte
What am I missing by not having a dedicated mid range driver. And with the Klipsch having a mid / base driver. What impact if any does it have.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipsch's sensitivity is a very inflated spec. It is bound to be higher than the B&W's, but it is nowhere near 98dB.

The B&W speakers will dig deeper in frequency, so they will have deeper bass.

2-way vs 3-way shouldn't really factor too much into your decision. A well-executed 2-way can sound very good. 3-way speakers can have advantages, but end performance is all that matters, now how it is arrived at.

BlackIce

BlackIce

Audiophyte
Thanks Shady. I wouldn't think that it would be inflated unless you had data to support your statement. Otherwise Klipsch would put this in their spec sheet.
If a 2-way wont matter to a 3 way then I would have to score a point to Klipsch.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
There are reviews that show the Klipsch sensitivity specs aren't as advertised. In fact this site's own review of the 8000F's point this out: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f/conclusion

The 8000F's have an upgraded tweeter vs the 280's but the woofer's are the same. I just bought a pair of 280F's a few weeks ago. Only got to play with them a couple days before putting them into storage, but they were enjoyable. There was no midrange shortage, and I'd dare say that at the listening distance my room allows I preferred its midrange to my main speakers. The highs were very detailed and even though it wasn't harsh like my last Klipsch speakers (KLF-10s) I still seem to prefer the soft dome sound. Bass was good, even surprised me a bit. I'm not going to unfairly compare it to dual 10's in a TL, but on their own merits the dual 8s rate a thumbs up.

Overall I give the 280's (and 8000F's by proxy) a good recommendation with the caveat that you have a good sized room and placement flexibility to get them in an optimal position.

IMG_20190815_2101144-1216x1622.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis