Bowers and Wilkins New CM series

L

LuisEcho

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any information about the new series that. B&W is rolling out bestbuy is getting rid of there inventory in order to make room and also getting rid of demo units 50%off

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
They're newest technology that theyre trickling into the 700 looks legit. If B&W had something in the 700 series similar to the 3-way's I just bought, I would definitely be looking into them, as I love the sound of my measly 686's, even as old as they are, lol. The rest is only better.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Correction!

I am interested only in the 707 S2's b/c they are resonably priced whereas the 706/705 S2's are much more than I would ever spend. Besides, if I were to ever spend that much I would opt for the Philharmonic BMR's instead! Just saying............:):):) Not in the market for anything new right now.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This new Series of Bowers & Wilkins speakers is advertised as being products with a Nominal Impedance of 8 ohms.

All three 3-way towers have a published impedance curve going down below 4 ohms at some point. I would rather consider those as 4 ohm speakers if the low impedance point of 3.1 ohms is in the low-midrange frequency region, lets says below 400 Hz.

The Marketing management does not seem to care about the equipment which is to be used to drive them.
Audiophiles who have equipment that cannot handle speaker loads of less than 6 ohms might be attracted by these new products but should beware.

Prospective buyers should have AVRs or power amps that are designed to handle 4 ohm speakers before committing to the purchase of those CM Series speakers.

Last edited:
AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
All I can say is that they’re a definite step up from the CM series. They take about a solid week to break fully in. I’m powering them with a Yamaha 3060 right now and it’s doing the job but I think I’m going to go with the monolith or maybe a used XPA Emotiva whenever I can recover from the dough I just threw at these. One thing that was of disappointment which I’ll warn is the clear coat finishing. I had a friend over for a listening session and I was showing him the beautiful cabinet and I happened to shine a bright LED light right on the finish well when I did I saw that the cabinets were covered in light swirl marks. Almost like if you bought a new car and took it through a car wash several times and you get those swirl marks on your finish. I know that the 800 series are done in England and are polished numerous times but for the price of these I still think it shouldn’t be like that. You don’t see it until you put a light right on them and you are within inches of them but still. B&W states that they shouldn’t be like that but I’ve seen a dozen models now that all have the same issue. I’m absolutely intoxicated by the sound so I wasn’t about to repackage then to roll the dice and see if I got a different batch without the issue. In my opinion these are the bread and butter in the entire B&W line when it comes to performance to value ratio.

Attachments

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I stopped reading at break in.
Break in, break in, break in.

And now, for the select few who are still reading this post, I liked the above review, break-in and all.

All I can say is that they’re a definite step up from the CM series. They take about a solid week to break fully in. I’m powering them with a Yamaha 3060 right now and it’s doing the job but I think I’m going to go with the monolith or maybe a used XPA Emotiva whenever I can recover from the dough I just threw at these.

I’m absolutely intoxicated by the sound so I wasn’t about to repackage then to roll the dice and see if I got a different batch without the issue. In my opinion these are the bread and butter in the entire B&W line when it comes to performance to value ratio.
Nice write-up.

Fwiw, my 800 series also have the very fine swirls but unless you look at close distance with a bright white light from the right angle, it's invisible.

Agree fully re performance. Close to 'as good as it gets' at a snip of the price.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Break in, break in, break in.

And now, for the select few who are still reading this post, I liked the above review, break-in and all.

Nice write-up.

Fwiw, my 800 series also have the very fine swirls but unless you look at close distance with a bright white light from the right angle, it's invisible.

Agree fully re performance. Close to 'as good as it gets' at a snip of the price.
its what makes the world go 'round: to each his own.
your post had a nice touch so I read the entire thing.:)

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I know a person who played his speakers at max volume for a week to break them in, and succeeded in breaking them out - of warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know a person who played his speakers at max volume for a week to break them in, and succeeded in breaking them out - of warranty.
Yeah, when I owned the Salon2 and 802D2, I made sure my volume would never exceed a certain level by putting a limit on the pre-pro. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis