D

Deepfunk9

Audiophyte
Hi

A few years ago I used to work in Hi Fi and the best speakers I heard were the Boston VR965's. I noticed they are no longer available. Does anyone know how they compare to the new Bostons or if there is an equivilent?

The powered built in subs gave it a very solid bass sound. (Much more than the (975's I thought). The mid range and highs were fantastic as well.

Or does anyone know where I could pick some up?

Thanks

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I have had the VR965 mains for about 3 years now. I love them and I have yet to find a speaker that does HT "and" 2 Channel as well in their general price range. That's the main reason I bought them. I am about 50HT/50Music. The mids and the highs are very nice without being to harsh.

They stopped making them about 2 years ago. I would have to say their new equivilents would be the VR3 or the VR-M80. They don't have the built in subs but they have very similar mids and highs.

I actually liked the VR975 as well but it tended to be a bit more boomy in the bass. The 965 is much more refined and accurate in the bass department but can still shake the wall when needed.

Shinerman

D

Deepfunk9

Audiophyte
Hi Shinerman.

I'm glad you like them also. It's a shame they stopped making them. I also found the 975's to be too boomy where as the 965's had a much tighter bass sound. i think it was because the bigger bass speaker was not powered.

I'll have a look for the VR3 or the VR-M80. I'm in the UK and i rang Boston and they told me they don't really push the floor standing speakers anymore. They sell a lot more in wall and car stereos. A bit of a shame i think.

Thanks again

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Defintely check out the VR3 and VR-M80 if you can there in the UK. They are really great speakers. If I did not love my 965's so much, I woudl get the VR-M80's in heart beat. They also make a VR-M90 but they are considerably more money than the 965's used to be.

Shinerman

steelhrd

Audiophyte
I have the 975's in a room about 12 x 23 and find the bass to be perfect. For ht theses speakers are very very good. for music it depends on what kind you like,rock of any kind is great but r and b the top end tends to be a little bright.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis