Boston A26 vs A25 vs CS26II

Z

Zubrowka

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm deciding between the Boston A25, A26 and CS26II bookshelf speakers. Has anyone heard these models, or have any input into which is a better buy?

I gather basically the difference between the three is the A series is newer, has a different woofer material and new cabinet style (actually prefer the older CS26II style). The A26 and the CS26II have 6.5" woofers and the A25 has a 5.25" woofer.

Is the newer A series worth the extra price? If I pair with my SVS PB-1000 sub, will be there any appreciable advantage to having the larger 6.5" woofers. Boston lists the frequency range as down too:
A26 = 51 hz
A25 = 55
CS26II = 52

Any input is appreciated!

BTW also considered
Paradigm Monitor Atom (I think its a little too small)
KEF Q100 (price is a little out of my range)
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (not crazy about the appearance)

Z

Zubrowka

Audiophyte
Thanks for the link, I've actually seen that before though, $400 is tempting, not sure what the "cosmetic imperfection" is though.

Z

Zubrowka

Audiophyte
Interesting, I didn't even consider the M25 because of the price. Any idea why Music Direct is offering such a large discount (maybe the M series aren't selling well)? I couldn't find too many reviews, but what I did find seemed very positive. So I'm assuming that you think the M25 is a clear step up from the A series?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Any idea why Music Direct is offering such a large discount
So I'm assuming that you think the M25 is a clear step up from the A series?
Boston must be doing a promotion

Boston A series is entry level - the Boston M series is mid-level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zubrowka

Audiophyte
I'm concerned that the impedance is 4 ohms (listed as 4 ohms on music direct and "Compatible with 8 ohm outputs" on Boston's website). I'm new to the audio world, but I gather this could make finding a compatible a/v receiver more difficult (or more expensive?).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm concerned that the impedance is 4 ohms (listed as 4 ohms on music direct and "Compatible with 8 ohm outputs" on Boston's website). I'm new to the audio world, but I gather this could make finding a compatible a/v receiver more difficult (or more expensive?).
Do you have a receiver, or are you looking for one

I do not know where MusicDirect got their specs - Boston does not
rate it 4 ohms nominal - it will not dip below 4.65 ohms. >> A nice
receiver than can handle 6 ohms, will drive the speakers.

If you do not feel comfortable - then go with the A series, or the KEF
Q100 speakers.

Z

Zubrowka

Audiophyte
I actually do not have a receiver now, my current set up is pretty bogus. I started with powered audioengine A2 speakers, and then added a sub a couple years later, which I have connected to the A2's. I usually have the A2's connected to my TV, which means I have to turn the knob on the A2's to change the volume, kind of a pain.

I'll have to do a little receiver research. I think I'll be happy whichever speaker I decide to go with.

Z

Zubrowka

Audiophyte
Before going with the Bostons I visited a home theater store nearby which is brand new - just found out about it. I listened to several speakers (paradigm atoms, B&W 686 and a PSB, don't recall the model). Ended up going with the Paradigms. Despite worrying about them being too small, they produce plenty of sound for my apartment and sound awesome.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis