Bose Soundock for ipod

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Ok I'll keep this short due to the fact I only had about 20 minutes with this unit. I work at Circuit City where we sell this sound dock made exclusively for the ipod. It retails for $299 which puts it quite a bit higher than the models offered by competitors we carry.
First off, it looks very nice and is very compact. What do you expect? Its Bose. The one we have on display has an ipod mini secuerley locked into place so we are not able to remove it and put another ipod in its stead. On said mini there are no actual songs, just demo clips selected by Bose. As you may imagine, the clips don't have a lot of bass and mainly vocals. I have to admit that I am not a Bose believer by any means but, after a few weeks of listening to it I started to really like it. It sounded much better than the cheaper smaller units. However, in the other units I was actually placing an ipod in them with real songs downloaded from some of the other employee's personal computers consisting of mostly rap.
Well just yesterday in walks this guy saying he is interested in the Bose unit but he wanted to listen to actual songs and not demo clips. Smart shopper. I informed him that I could not remove the ipod mini in the display but he was more than welcome to purchase the unit and I would set it up for him and plug in the other ipod with all the rap music on it. After about 45 minutes of mulling and pacing he agreed to do so after I assured him he could return it on the spot if he were not happy with it for a full refund.
On to the review which as promised will be very short. It is extremely easy to hook up the Bose unit as all you need to do is plug it into a power souce and pop your ipod on the dock. When you get your player in place the unit automatically turns on and starts charging your battery which is nice. I looked for some of the more taxing songs on the 30 gig video ipod I was using and I chose "no diggity" for the first test run. To those of you not familiar with this track or not into rap music, it contains lots of mids and real challegning lows without many highs. Well, the Bose unit immidiately began to struggle. At any sort of acceptable volume the poor thing was distorting everytime it was called on to produce bass. We tried many R&B and rap tracks and the result was always the same. Less than average highs, real clear mids and horrible in the bass department. I guess I should not have expected anything different from such small drivers but for $300 they could have done better. The one nice thing I will say aside from the respectable midrange is that this unit creates a very large field of sound. What I mean by that is there is no actual sweet spot I could find. If I were standing to the side or directly in front of it I heard almost the exact same sound.
On a scale of 1 - 10 I give this thing a 4. If it were a hundred bucks less I would consider a 6. If you have $300 to spend on a speaker setup for an ipod, chances are you already have a decent home stereo or theater set up. Just get the cables to hook your mp3 player to it and don't think twice about the Bose. On the other hand if you need something small and portable I have heard that Klipchs makes a unit similar in size to the Bose for $50 less. I have not seen it but would think that it would be at very least equal in sound quality.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
What else would you expect from Bose, overpriced lousy sound.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
To be honest with you I guess it is what I expected but listening to that demo stuff for 3 weeks had started to brain wash me in a way. So anyway my senses are clear once again.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Once again the old saw holds true: "No highs, no lows, must be Bose".

Sad thing is, Amar and Son are actually very good engineers and sharp businesspeople. Why can't they at least do a Henry Kloss and make products that actually represent an honest, better-than-average tradeoff of performance vs. price with attractive design and still make a healthy profit?

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Yes he returned it. Sorry for posting the response 4 years late.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Ok I'll keep this short due to the fact I only had about 20 minutes with this unit. I work at Circuit City where we sell this sound dock made exclusively for the ipod. It retails for $299 which puts it quite a bit higher than the models offered by competitors we carry.
First off, it looks very nice and is very compact. What do you expect? Its Bose. The one we have on display has an ipod mini secuerley locked into place so we are not able to remove it and put another ipod in its stead. On said mini there are no actual songs, just demo clips selected by Bose. As you may imagine, the clips don't have a lot of bass and mainly vocals. I have to admit that I am not a Bose believer by any means but, after a few weeks of listening to it I started to really like it. It sounded much better than the cheaper smaller units. However, in the other units I was actually placing an ipod in them with real songs downloaded from some of the other employee's personal computers consisting of mostly rap.
Well just yesterday in walks this guy saying he is interested in the Bose unit but he wanted to listen to actual songs and not demo clips. Smart shopper. I informed him that I could not remove the ipod mini in the display but he was more than welcome to purchase the unit and I would set it up for him and plug in the other ipod with all the rap music on it. After about 45 minutes of mulling and pacing he agreed to do so after I assured him he could return it on the spot if he were not happy with it for a full refund.
On to the review which as promised will be very short. It is extremely easy to hook up the Bose unit as all you need to do is plug it into a power souce and pop your ipod on the dock. When you get your player in place the unit automatically turns on and starts charging your battery which is nice. I looked for some of the more taxing songs on the 30 gig video ipod I was using and I chose "no diggity" for the first test run. To those of you not familiar with this track or not into rap music, it contains lots of mids and real challegning lows without many highs. Well, the Bose unit immidiately began to struggle. At any sort of acceptable volume the poor thing was distorting everytime it was called on to produce bass. We tried many R&B and rap tracks and the result was always the same. Less than average highs, real clear mids and horrible in the bass department. I guess I should not have expected anything different from such small drivers but for $300 they could have done better. The one nice thing I will say aside from the respectable midrange is that this unit creates a very large field of sound. What I mean by that is there is no actual sweet spot I could find. If I were standing to the side or directly in front of it I heard almost the exact same sound.
On a scale of 1 - 10 I give this thing a 4. If it were a hundred bucks less I would consider a 6. If you have $300 to spend on a speaker setup for an ipod, chances are you already have a decent home stereo or theater set up. Just get the cables to hook your mp3 player to it and don't think twice about the Bose. On the other hand if you need something small and portable I have heard that Klipchs makes a unit similar in size to the Bose for $50 less. I have not seen it but would think that it would be at very least equal in sound quality.
Bigbassdave,

Nice objective review! -- worth about 3 green chicklets ;)

I like your screen name Dave. Now I am ready to catch some big bass fish :D ..or listen to my SVS PB12-Plus up 3 dB :rolleyes:

Peace and Good Sound,

Forest Man

P.S. - A man needs to know his limits. When a telephone is designed for 300 - 3kHz and your design your speaker based on the telephone range then you lose bass and treble. Dr Amar like telephones I guess :confused:

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
I bought a used Sounddock because I wanted to hear for myself rather than going by the Bose bashing on the Internet. The thing does have decent midrange but no balls. It sounds small even in a little bedroom. Sometimes when you have a track with just guitar and vocals, or something like that, it sounds big.

Mine has an irritating HF squeal noise that happens whenever the ipod is in, even if it's not playing. I called Bose and they wanted me to try a different Ipod to troubleshoot it, but I didn't have another on hand. I'll have to wait and see if I can borrow one. I emailed the guy who sold it to me and he says it didn't happen with his Ipods, but he may just be trying to cover his *** even though the sale was final in any case.

I've located some Bose computer speakers that I think I'll buy to have something cheap and small for bedside or wherever. They'll have stereo separation and they're much cheaper so I can sell the Dock and get most of my money back.

The first version Sounddock had no Aux input, so it only works with Ipods. As far as I can tell there are exactly two sellers of adapters to use other stuff. (Female dock connector to 1/8" male or female). One sells on Amazon as a Sounddock adapter for the Shuffle, and the other is a guy on ebay with cables. The second generation Sounddock has an 1/8" aux in.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
What else would you expect from Bose, overpriced lousy sound.
ditto, bose has never made anything i am impressed with or even willing to say "this sounds alright", they charge outrageous prices for their stuff. their products have terrible highs and "forced" boomy bass with lots of distortion

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis