Bose Cinemate GS Series II questions (updates/possible alternatives/general advice)

J

JEQ

Audiophyte
Hello,

I've been looking at a few possibilities for a new set of speakers and was originally looking at items like the Sonos or Bose Soundlink, possibly a sound bar to use for a combination of stereo/tv purposes but ultimately was fairly disappointed by most of the wifi connections and slightly underwhelmed by the sound bars I saw as well. While in the Best Buy looking at other alternatives I saw the Bose GS Series II, and while its a bit more than I hoped to spend, I was very pleased with the sound quality. Basically for more of the other alternatives I didn't even consider it worth the money to buy an upgrade off of my television (Samsung 7500 so they're not great as they're tv speakers but nothing terrible either). In the past I've used Bose for headphones because I do enjoy the sound quality, but also appreciate the comfort of the headsets (clearly not a factor here), and have had great experiences with their customer service. I did though have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1) Is there any chance of an update to this product sometime within the next year? I'm not exactly in a rush and would love some of the additional capacities like bluetooth etc. etc. in a 2.1 setup of this quality. My understanding is that this version of Bose came out several years ago, but I'm not certain how often they update models, if it's on a semi-steady rotation, if they wait for new technology advances, etc. I'd rather wait 6-12 months for the new one if they're expected, but I haven't seen anything about that online.

2) Is there any other system that people would recommend that I would be able to find and test at some electronics location? I'm looking for something simple, relatively small, and I have no interest in setting up speakers around the room. Sound wise I'm semi-picky about what qualities I actually like, sound effects or overall volume matter little to me for example, but clarity especially in vocals (songs) probably gathers most of my attention. Bass I don't know how to describe what I like, but I do know I've never been disappointed in Bose quality in headphones or computer speakers (and I know many people consider that a weak point). I also don't generally watch blue rays (I view digital content though I have a PS4). Since I'm fairly happy with Bose I suppose I'd want an alternative $400-500 max, with sound quality as good as the gs series ii, a relatively simple set up, with good customer service/quality, and "popular" enough that I'd have someplace to go test it out before buying. Newer tech content like bluetooth capacity is a plus but not essential. Preferably 2.1, sound bar, or some other easy set up (Nothing that requires speakers located in parts of the room away from the television)

3) On a side note, I should probably mention a few things. I'm generally unimpressed by the super top notch speakers that cost $1000 plus just because I don't value the upgrades as worth the money (and potential setup hassle). Also if there are any unknowns or lesser known systems that can't really be tested they'd absolutely have to have free and no-hassle returns. I've heard a fair amount of systems that other people love and that may be technically better, but I just didn't like the sound as much personally. This is also one reason I've been slightly hesitant to buying a bunch of random components and fitting them together.

Thanks for the assistance.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I'm going to quote myself :)

'Every once in a while, a thread will get started asking if there are better alternatives to Bose in audio. And most of us who read and join in those threads throw out some great ideas, and almost inevitably, someone says this - or words to this effect - "I should come up with a system that will demolish this Bose system". Bose buyers usually fall into 3 categories – they’re buying Bose for ease of use and setup, because they are stylish and unobtrusive, or they’ve been told that Bose represents the best in sound quality.

1. The Cinemate GS Series II
at $600 includes a pair of small satellite speakers that Bose calls Gemstones, one of Bose’s Acoustimass modules, a remote control and remote sensor. It can only connect to a TV that has an audio output, via analog stereo or optical.

Ease of Use - For those who like a sleek look and simple setup, the AVR is the Marantz NR1403. It features Audyssey MultEQ system calibration. It’s $400 list, but you can catch it for less on sale. To get 2.1 stereo sound boosted by a good subwoofer, pick up these Insignia NS-SP213 5 ¼” bookshelf speakers for $70, and round out the LFE with this Bic America V80 8” 100w subwoofer for $110. This puts you at $580, giving you $20 for cables at monoprice.

Low Profile - For those who want a solution that disappears with no visible wires, go with the ZVOX ZBase 580. Like the Bose, it connects to your TV via optical, analog stereo, or digital coax. It’s also $500, and exceeds the performance of the Bose in every way. It also gives you the ability to add a true subwoofer to really enhance the LFE. Use the money you save on an optical cable if you need it, and be sure to pick up some popcorn for movie night, because you’ll be doing it a lot!

Sound Quality - For those who want the best sound quality in a 2.1 system, get a pair of the lauded Andrew Jones SP-BS22 monitors for $130. Couple it with Bic America’s F-12 12” subwoofer for $200. Then power everything with Pioneer’s VSX-523-K for $250. This will leave you with $20 for cables at monoprice. Everything you play on this system will destroy the Bose Cinemate in every conceivable way.'

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Bose headphones are pretty good. A little overpriced and Sennheisers are better in that range.

Bose speakers systems on the other hand are one step above a wal-mart HTIB, and not a giant step. The recommendations above are awesome for the price. Heck I am considering trying them out for my daughters TV now ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis