Bose 901 Series VI & Modern A/V Receivers - Denon AVR3808

F

FlyBoySR20

Audiophyte
Not looking to start yet another debate about the virtues or pitfalls of the Bose 901s, but I am simply trying to figure out if a receiver like the one referenced her has the capability to utilize the Bose EQ by programming some Tape In/Out or PreAmp configuration in the receiver.

I want to use this primarily only when using the CD/BluRay outputs, I can use the speakers without the EQ using the DVR or regular DVD.

The sales guys always say, "Sure you can!" as they have with a couple of other units over he last few weeks, but I can't configure them and can find no instructin on how to do it. The Denon unit, however, seems to hold promise because of its software configuration controllability.

Anm I spinning my wheels here? I don;t want to dump the speakers or invest in thousands worth of more gear to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Eddie

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pre-amp outputs to EQ to main-amp inputs is what you need for stereo.
If you want to do 5 or 7 channels I would go main L&R pre-amp output to EQ to separate stereo amp to Bose 901 and let the receiver run the surround channels.
You do not want to run the EQ into your surrounds.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the sight. Unfortunately, even the 3808 won't help with the Bose Eq issue. How much are you willing to spend? What other speakers are you using? If you're only running 2-901s, then just the addition of a 2-channel amp to a receiver with pre-outs should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Elite-VSX-21TXH-receiver-channel/dp/B002N4AQO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257348541&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC180-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B002L6GEKG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257347467&sr=1-10
http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Last edited:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hell, I'd use the 901's for rear channels, and buy a pair of direct firing for the mains. I'd imagine they'd rock for surround.

DJ

F

FlyBoySR20

Audiophyte
Great info AVR, thanks!

I've currently got an Onkyo TX-SR607 that I can return. I was thinking about the Denon as an upgrade not oly for the connectivity possibility, but because I've had and listened to a lot of Denon product in the past and much prefer the "warmth" they deliver. Sorta like some good aural umami. I can get the 3808 for about $775 on a clearance, thought it was a good deal.

If the Emotiva is what I'd need to loop the 901 EQ through, $300 is doable to take me were I want to get to. Is it as simple as just plugging the amp in/out in the RCA plugs? It appears a bit confusing from the markings on the rear of the unit, but I'm sure I can figure it out once I get it.

Is it appropriate to ask if you have a supp;lier you prefer, or just grab it right from the mfr?

Many thanks again for the frank, direct advice.

Regards,
Eddie

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi Eddie,

Emotiva products are available right here at Audioholics.
* Just click on the 'Emotiva' logo at the top of the page for info,
and then on 'Audioholics Home Theater Store' for prices and warranty, etc.

** And Welcome to Audioholics forums. :)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The 3808 at that price is a great deal. Yup, RCA L/R pre-out to the Bose Eq to the Emo amp to the speakers. You can only buy the amp direct from Emotiva.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis