Booo. My 2ch Atmos amp died... probably.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh a trio of M2200s is definitely attractive for $800. I guess you get a bit of a discount for just two if you ask? Don't remember seeing an offer for combo of two....
I think if I upgraded the front with new amps I'd have to do three. I get that LR would be great for music, but I'd feel like I'd be neglecting the center. I was tempted to do pro audio again, but I'd have to get two to be happy.

That money saved will go toward new subs or getting the rest of the theater done.

Thanks for everyone that posted. I'm now aware of even more good amps. Always a good thing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely better than many amps. Niles seems pretty solid and spec's this amp as stable down to 2.66 Ohms which is something you don't see on many amps (much less, inexpensive amps)!
I'd imagine the MSRP of that amp may be close to $300+ based off other Niles offerings.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another option would be to pick up the used QSC RMX 850 / 2 channel amp for your Atmos speakers. It's a very reliable product with better specs than the above mentioned Crowns and the Yamaha PX3.
You can get it for only $175 + shipping on eBay. It's a Class AB amp:

It's a discontiued product but its specs are excellent:

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Another option would be to pick up the used QSC RMX 850 2 channel amp for your Atmos speakers. It's a very reliable product with better specs than the above mentioned Crowns and the Yamaha PX3.
You can get it for only $175 + shipping on eBay. It's a Class AB amp:

It's a discontiued product but its specs are excellent:
Qsc amps are excellent. Even their low end amps are impossible to break.

When I sold pro audio our QSC rep told us they used to take an amp and drop it from 1 story (15 feet or so) and plug it in to show it still worked. Talk about marketing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, any of those would be overkill for the Atmos channels. If I get a powerful amp, it's going to be for the mains.

I tested the AudioSource again and it's dead. I can hear it switching inputs when I give it a signal, but nothing from the speakers. Not even a hiss and I know this thing can't have a totally silent noise floor.

If I go cheap, then the Monoprice is it. If I don't, then the Outlaw amps are going to be hard to beat. That deal @Pogre posted is great, but I'm going to have to think about it.

EDIT: Hard to not go with the Outlaw after reading this.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/outlaw-2200-m-block-amplifier-review.11403/
Have you checked inside for a fuse?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Qsc amps are excellent. Even their low end amps are impossible to break.

When I sold pro audio our QSC rep told us they used to take an amp and drop it from 1 story (15 feet or so) and plug it in to show it still worked. Talk about marketing.
I bought the RMX850a brand new for C$299, C$338 shipped, from Amazon.ca in 2017. The sound quality of that amp is every bit as good as my other much more expensive amps. The only thing I had to do was to install a $10 pot to lower the speed of the fan so that it would be inaudible from a where I sat. The website claimed speed controlled fan but that's not true, it ran full speed full time (other users on forums reported same..).

The guy who bought it from me has been using it for about 3 years now and have no issues. If you want to conserve cash, that would be another sort of unbeatable value, if you can get it at the great price I did.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I bought the RMX850a brand new for C$299, C$338 shipped, from Amazon.ca in 2017. The sound quality of that amp is every bit as good as my other much more expensive amps. The only thing I had to do was to install a $10 pot to lower the speed of the fan so that it would be inaudible from a where I sat. The website claimed speed controlled fan but that's not true, it ran full speed full time (other users on forums reported same..).

The guy who bought it from me has been using it for about 3 years now and have no issues. If you want to conserve cash, that would be another sort of unbeatable value, if you can get it at the great price I did.
Agreed. That is an excellent amp. I've used them in many, many live sound applications. Solid as a rock.

I typically lean towards Crown simply because they have RCA inputs. Removes the need for any adapters. They are probably 95% as good as QSC. I've never really heard of either brand having issues.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. That is an excellent amp. I've used them in many, many live sound applications. Solid as a rock.

I typically lean towards Crown simply because they have RCA inputs. Removes the need for any adapters. They are probably 95% as good as QSC. I've never really heard of either brand having issues.
Me too as I am no longer one of those so called audiophile or golden ear. I only went with QSC that time because of the Amazon.ca sale, that was a fantastic deal that I have not seen repeated since.

For most audiophile and/or golden ears, Crown's class D amps might be a no no to them for many reasons, one being that analog signals have to go through the ADC, and the sampling frequency is 48 kHz.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Me too as I am no longer one of those so called audiophile or golden ear. I only went with QSC that time because of the Amazon.ca sale, that was a fantastic deal that I have not seen repeated since.

For most audiophile and/or golden ears, Crown's class D amps might be a no no to them for many reasons, one being that analog signals have to go through the ADC, and the sampling frequency is 48 kHz.
Good point. Amir did review a few of them and they did quite well. @lovinthehd posted them a few posts back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Just don't tell those "audiophiles" what the process is and they'd never know :) Golden ears of course can hear things dogs and bats can, so anything's possible there :)

QSC does indeed make nice amps, tho. So are the Crowns and I can think of one prominent audiophile (or as he says now, recovering audiophile) who has "heard" tons of amps and he loves the XLS amps, thinks they're one of the better amps available (Andrew Robinson).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just don't tell those "audiophiles" what the process is and they'd never know :) Golden ears of course can hear things dogs and bats can, so anything's possible there :)

QSC does indeed make nice amps, tho. So are the Crowns and I can think of one prominent audiophile (or as he says now, recovering audiophile) who has "heard" tons of amps and he loves the XLS amps, thinks they're one of the better amps available (Andrew Robinson).
Agreed, though it may actually be good to let them know as it could help reduce demand and price.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Got the new amp today. Nice little amp, a little ding on the top left, but otherwise in pretty perfect condition. Clorox wiped down the whole thing including the box before I opened it. Can't be too careful. ;)

One thing is the internals of this thing are vastly superior to the one that died. Heavier too.

What's really nice is the 12v trigger actually works on this one and didn't on the cheap amp.

Fits in the rack perfectly. Right above the receiver (don't judge, it's a WIP).

IMG_20200320_145313.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis