Bookshelves & Sub (2.1) or Tower Speakers (2.0). Which?

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I'm putting together a set-up to listen to music. I've already decided on the Yamaha A-S500 or 501 & the Yamaha CD-S300 CD Player. Now I'm down to speakers - the options are MANY. It seems that a pair of towers may be the more economical route (hopefully) with no need for a sub (hopefully). If I decide on a 2.1 system, I think the HSU STF-2 is my choice, for pricing reasons and they, HSU, seem to get alot of "Props" on these forums. Also, in a 2.1 system, is it better to use an Acoustic suspension speaker? I seem to get that idea. So basically, i'm looking for suggestions for towers, bookshelves, subs. I'd like the best possible sound, for the lower pricing ranges, i.e., Approx. + or - $400.00 for bookshelves, + or - $400.00 for a sub, + or - $500.00 for towers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just to throw a monkey wench into the works, I've found that even towers can benefit from a sub.

A sub shouldn't be relied on to produce "music" but simply to extend, not augment, the speakers lower range.

...just a little something to think about.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd wait for September then ELAC Debut F5 Towers would be available
Even with extension down to 42hz, you still might want to add sub later one

As an alternative: Ascend CMT340SE - $600/pr or about $750 with stand

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I'd wait for September then ELAC Debut F5 Towers would be available
Even with extension down to 42hz, you still might want to add sub later one

As an alternative: Ascend CMT340SE - $600/pr or about $750 with stand
Thanks Bored. What do you think of the Ascend CBM-170? I believe I read a post by Gene saying he liked these, but that he liked the CMT-340 SE better in their MTM configuration - I guess that "adds" to more depth in the soundstage.... :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Thanks Bored. What do you think of the Ascend CBM-170? I believe I read a post by Gene saying he liked these, but that he liked the CMT-340 SE better in their MTM configuration - I guess that "adds" to more depth in the soundstage.... :)
And I do have my eye on the ELAC Debuts! Problem being - I cant actually listen to "any" of these! :'(

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Just to throw a monkey wench into the works, I've found that even towers can benefit from a sub.

A sub shouldn't be relied on to produce "music" but simply to extend, not augment, the speakers lower range.

...just a little something to think about.
Much appreciation Mark... :)

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I vote for smaller speakers and a sub. That is what I am listening to right now. Peace and goodwill.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The CBM-170SEs are very good, but you DEFINITELY need a sub with them. The 340s are still somewhat lighter on bass than a typical bookshelf of that size, but you can get away with them without a sub in a smaller room IMO. With a decent tower, I tend to listen to music without a sub even giving up that extension (somewhat for simplicity), however my main rig has been bookshelf/sub for many years.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Like John said, 170SE are also excellent speakers, but almost completely lack bass.
If you can wait for Elac Debut towers - I think they would be worth it and should easily possible to run them without sub for most music.
Their designer Andrew jones scarified sensitivity for lower bass extension and given you're getting solid amp - this seems like a great match.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Like John said, 170SE are also excellent speakers, but almost completely lack bass.
If you can wait for Elac Debut towers - I think they would be worth it and should easily possible to run them without sub for most music.
Their designer Andrew jones scarified sensitivity for lower bass extension and given you're getting solid amp - this seems like a great match.
Thanks again Bored. They're 279.99 each for the Debut towers... Wonder if you can order, listen, and send back if you don't like...? :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
The CBM-170SEs are very good, but you DEFINITELY need a sub with them. The 340s are still somewhat lighter on bass than a typical bookshelf of that size, but you can get away with them without a sub in a smaller room IMO. With a decent tower, I tend to listen to music without a sub even giving up that extension (somewhat for simplicity), however my main rig has been bookshelf/sub for many years.
Thanks John. If you know of any comparable DIY speakers - please do tell... :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Did you post these as a good set of DIY speakers per my request above? I'm guessing so... I wonder how the Zaph audio MTM's compare to the CMT-340 SE MTM's...? Cheaper too! :)
He does not mess around and they are voiced to be linear with
good bass to 50 hz.

If they came fully assembled - then they would cost you more

Speculation is free about which one may be best - no one can speak for your ears.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
50 hz is good for a bookshelf, and a lot of smaller towers as well. Just as a clarification, subwoofers are made to go below the range of full range speaker with a woofer, from below 30 up to 80 - 100hz or so. That's why I said they mate well with towers as well. Too many people confuse woofers with subwoofers, and there's a big difference.

Last edited:
lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
50 hz is good for a bookshelf, and a lot of smaller towers as well. Just as a clarification, subwoofers are made to go below the range of full range speaker, from below 30 up to 80 - 100hz or so. That's why I said they mate well with towers as well. Too many people confuse woofers with subwoofers, and there's a big difference.
Thanks again Markw, things are beginning to galvanize in my mind...

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
He does not mess around and they are voiced to be linear with
good bass to 50 hz.

If they came fully assembled - then they would cost you more

Speculation is free about which one may be best - no one can speak for your ears.
True, thanks zieglj01, seriously considering them, but will get them without the cabinets if I do...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis