Bookshelves for Office

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Looking for advice. All my setups are 100 percent home theater/TV focused. For my office I’m considering leveraging a 2 channel pre amp I came into (old but good) and now thinking it might be fun to have a music 2 channel setup in there.

looking closely at Craigslist nothing has struck me yet. I was considering trying to get something under 200 Used. There are some JbL powered monitors for around there 306p used

Also I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of JBL 530s. I have a pair in my theater for surrounds and think they are good. On sale now.

BefoeeI pull the trigger, should I hold out for better used? Or jump on those 530s before they go off deal.

Or I could continue to use a powered Sony speaker from my echo dot which frankly works fine for the time I’m in there.

What would you try for?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well if you have just a pre-amp the LSR306p sounds more effective and you just might like 'em better. I have the LSR 305s and 530s but never compared them directly (I've only used the 530s for surrounds too). I think for a two ch setup I'd go for the 306s....and that way the amp is taken care of and one less box which might be nice in an office. I use my 305s with an old 2ch pre-amp I've had for a long time.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, I also have a 2 channel onlyo amp I could use for the 530. Or an old Sony receiver that I could use as well to power the 530s. But to your point one less box.l and the pre amp is better quality if that even matters for this. I think either of those would probably do the trick. Trying to get the price lowered on the 306s without much success :) might push me to get 530s with a full 5 year warranty but I’ll se what I can do

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
One more question, any big sound difference between a powered monitor like that he traditional bookshelf? Or it sounds like a speaker both ways :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're different but still a speaker both ways :). Someday I should compare them but I'm lazy. You can try the reviews for some tech angles:

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
I've got a pair of both. I prefer the 530s for a 2 channel set-up. I'm not saying the 306 are bad they certainly are not. I just think the 530s do a better job if you have decent power for them. If you have the preamp you plan to use then you can get cheap amplification for them with something like the lower end Crown Drive Core 2 line. You can pick one up for under 300 on Amazon. They also have high and low pass filter if you ever get a sub. That crown is very neutral just a little on the cool side. When I say little I mean very little. It is very dynamic though. It works good with the JBL. Crown XLS line are good. Think I used the Crown XLS1002.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis