D

dorohe l

Audiophyte
Hello everyone
I'm looking to build my first audio system
I'm limited in budget and looking for good bookshelf speakers to pair with an AV receiver (plan on building an 5.1 system in the future)
My budget is not more then $1500 CAD for the speakers and an AV receiver (maybe a sub if the budget allows)
I read that the fluance reference and signature are really good for the money.
Also the elac debut 2.5 b5.2 are really recommended
I listened to the klipsch rp 500 and 600 m mk2 and liked them.
I listened to the KEF Q150 and 350 but didn't like them.

I have 2 questions:
1. The klipsch are 3 times the price of the fluance and 2 times the price of the elac, are the actually that much better
2. If you have any other options you think are also good?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello everyone
I'm looking to build my first audio system
I'm limited in budget and looking for good bookshelf speakers to pair with an AV receiver (plan on building an 5.1 system in the future)
My budget is not more then $1500 CAD for the speakers and an AV receiver (maybe a sub if the budget allows)
I read that the fluance reference and signature are really good for the money.
Also the elac debut 2.5 b5.2 are really recommended
I listened to the klipsch rp 500 and 600 m mk2 and liked them.
I listened to the KEF Q150 and 350 but didn't like them.

I have 2 questions:
1. The klipsch are 3 times the price of the fluance and 2 times the price of the elac, are the actually that much better
2. If you have any other options you think are also good?
I don't know where you live in Canada, but as a first step, I recommend that you visit a couple of specialized hi-fi shops, preferably in a big city such as Montreal, Toronto where you would have the opportunity to listen to various speakers within your planned budget. Some stores even allow you to take the speakers home to listen and return them if you're not satisfied. For your budget, I suggest that you put between $750 and $1000 for them. The balance of funds left would be used for the receiver.

It is very important to listen to various speakers before spending money. They all have their own character. Take along one CD or two to enable you to compare the way each one sounds. Otherwise, you might be disappointed with your purchase after a short while because reading reviews is not necessarily a good way to choose speakers.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@dorohe l I can mention that I have the ELAC's bookshelf speakers and thoroughly enjoy, which was within my budget. See below signature.

There are some You Tube independent speaker reviews, that might be useful for your decision-making process. Spend what will allow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis