Bookshelf Speakers that actually fit a Bookshelf

S

Sledge

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm looking for a pair of premium speakers for use in my study, primarily to listen to CD/Phono audio.
Need to fit within a bookshelf, so dimensions must be less than 12-3/8" tall and 11-1/8" deep, and should either be sealed or front/side ported (if that matters).
Speakers will be paired with a Marantz model 250 amplifier and a subwoofer (likely an SVS SB-2000).
Room is 15'x15'x10'.
Thank you for your help, I'm not having much luck on my own.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks! Look like they will work well. Any other options you'd recommend? I came across the JBL 4312MII which may also fit, any opinion on those?
Both companies make good speakers but I would lean towards testing the NHT first

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't know they had miniature 4312s....interesting, but at that price I'd try the NHT first, too :)

Is it just aesthetics or lack of space forcing them into shelving? No way to use stands?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks! Look like they will work well. Any other options you'd recommend? I came across the JBL 4312MII which may also fit, any opinion on those?
As stated by @zieglj01, the NHT C1 would be a good contender. As you intend to reserve the very low frequencies to a subwoofer, the Definitive Technology Demand D7 would also be a alternate option:

Those two products are listed in ShadyJ's recommended list of bookshelf speakers listed at around $500 a pair. They are the only ones in the list which would fit on your shelf:

As for the JBL 4312, I doubt that it would perform as precisely as the already suggested speakers.

Last edited:
S

Sledge

Audiophyte
Didn't know they had miniature 4312s....interesting, but at that price I'd try the NHT first, too :)

Is it just aesthetics or lack of space forcing them into shelving? No way to use stands?
Space concerns. The only place for them is on the bookshelves.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Space concerns. The only place for them is on the bookshelves.
Am listening right now to my 4311Bs....too bad you don't have that much room for actual 4312s :) I just don't see the point of the 4312 mk2s but hadn't heard of such before.

S

Sledge

Audiophyte
Am listening right now to my 4311Bs....too bad you don't have that much room for actual 4312s :) I just don't see the point of the 4312 mk2s but hadn't heard of such before.
I think the point is that they look really cool. Might go well with the 1970s amplifier I'm using.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the point is that they look really cool. Might go well with the 1970s amplifier I'm using.
LOL they do have that certain panache going for them I'll admit :) Classic JBL colors too. I just looked at a Marantz 250 amp....a power amp only?

S

Sledge

Audiophyte
Just seemed a bit of an odd setup :) How do you incorporate a sub with that?
Room was wired during construction to accommodate either a Speaker Level or Line Level Subwoofer (via RCA). Pre-Amp has a Speaker 1, Speaker 2, and Both setting. Speaker 1 will be the bookshelves, 2 will be the subwoofer, so I will just run it as both.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice to have options but I prefer bass management options.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Is it a real small room ? I’ve fit large speakers in tiny rooms , never needed a bookshelve.
how high up would they be ? Is it at ear level
I’d just go for towers and be done with it ,
Haha rp600m? Good
Bookshelves actually aren’t usually good acoustic spots .

S

Sledge

Audiophyte
Is it a real small room ? I’ve fit large speakers in tiny rooms , never needed a bookshelve.
how high up would they be ? Is it at ear level
I’d just go for towers and be done with it ,
Haha rp600m? Good
Bookshelves actually aren’t usually good acoustic spots .
The room is a study, and two of the four walls are floor-to-ceiling bookshelves (built in), the third wall has my desk, and the fourth is all windows. The bookshelf speaker placement is a necessity, and does allow ear-level speaker placement.

D

doctors11

Enthusiast
I didn't see a budget but two speakers that come to mind that would fit your needs are...

Aperion Audio Novus Bookshelf

Arendal Sound 1961 Bookshelf

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I might be talked out of my Martin Logan LX-16's when my new Founders Edition Paradigm 40B's arrive.......PM if interested.

D

doctors11

Enthusiast
I
I might be talked out of my Martin Logan LX-16's when my new Founders Edition Paradigm 40B's arrive.......PM if interested.
I think he's looking for sealed or front ported. It would be an interesting comparison though to the other models mentioned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis