Bookshelf speakers recommendation

K

kuppal

Audiophyte
I am looking to buy a good bookhelf speaker set and a sub . I want to use it with my computer. Originally I was interested in buying a box setup such as Klipsch promedia or Logitech Z623 , but now I am thinking to go for a passive setup.

What will be the recommended setup keeping in mind a max budget of $250.

I thought of going with this :

1. ) Polk Audio R150 Two-way bookshelf loudspeaker Pair
2. ) Topping TP30 class t amplifier
3.) Polk Audio Subwoofer PSW-10

Also, how is the setup done ?. Do we need to connect bookshelf speakers to an amplifier , or is it just the subwoofer that is connected to an amplifier, and then bookshelf are plugged to the subwoofer ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say these pioneers and that amp.

Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics

If you need to cheapen that up, get the previous BS21 that is about half that price right now.

Or for the amp, spend another $20 and get the APA-150 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-812

Forget you ever considered that sub, it is a waste of time. Save a bit more and get something better. This is on sale right now and you probably won't find it cheaper.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628

*Edit - probably a lot to read, and the original post was about the towers, but a lot of discussion about the Pioneers in this thread.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, difficult budget.

I would save up a little more money and get the Audioengine A5. I used them for my office and they were awesome. They have decent bass but I later added a good sub and I swear, this system matched my real system even though my real system is far far-field listening and the computer system was for near-field.

I agree with JC, don't even think of a sub with this budget.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A5s are quite expensive compared to the budget, so A2s might be a better fit, and the amp would not be required.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
A5s are quite expensive compared to the budget, so A2s might be a better fit, and the amp would not be required.
I almost said the A2 but I have never tried them and hated to recommend them. I am sure they have less bass than the A5.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
250 with a sub wow. I'm going to say apa150 with pioneer bookshelfs ans then any sub you can afford with the money left over. Or just buy that amp and them speakers and dinner for you and a small child...

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
It will be hard to beat the audio engine A-5s in your price range. I'd shop around and see if a pair is available open box or refurbished directly from audio engine. That way you get the warranty and it should run around $270 or so. You'll like the sound a lot.

If you want to stick with passive speakers, I'd go 2.0 with a $250 budget and add the sub later. I'd take a look at the KEF C1s; you can pick up a pair here for $150: KEF C1 Two Way 4" Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black | Accessories4less
I like front ported speakers for a desktop nearfield set up (which it sounds like you are going to do). You could get the onkyo tx 8255 for $119: Onkyo TX-8255 50 watts 2 channel Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less. That gets you pretty close to your original budget.

K

kuppal

Audiophyte
A5+ or A5

May be I've to increase my budget by another $150...

Are you recommending A5 or A5+. Is there a big a difference between two as far as quality is concerned ? A5+ is good $100 dollar expensive. Wil I need a sub If I buy A5 or A5+

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those speakers are still somewhat small, but you might be able to get away without a sub with the A5s. The price is good on the A5s, and I think it is more features that changed between them and the +, not so much the sound, so I think you'd be fine with the original A5s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis