Bookshelf Speakers In Wall

F

Field

Audiophyte
I ordered 2 bookshelf speakers, that I plan on recess mounting into my wall. Basically I would build a little cubby hole in the wall (L & R of the TV) where I would place each speaker. It'd be only as deep as needed to set the speaker grill flush with the wall. And the cubby would be enclosed completely from the attic space behind it. However these speakers have a port in the rear, so I'm wondering if this cubby idea would be Ok and not affect the purpose/sound of the rear port. Appreciate the thoughts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
May as well just get in-wall speakers, they're designed for that type of installation. Box type speakers aren't meant to be put in cubby holes, particularly a rear ported one.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The output from the rear port will be effectively lost. Should have asked this question before making your purchase; we would have told you go get speakers with a front port.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Even front ported speakers will be affected by sticking them into a cubby hole sticking speakers front or rear ported in a cubby hole is not recommended

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I ordered 2 bookshelf speakers, that I plan on recess mounting into my wall. Basically I would build a little cubby hole in the wall (L & R of the TV) where I would place each speaker. It'd be only as deep as needed to set the speaker grill flush with the wall. And the cubby would be enclosed completely from the attic space behind it. However these speakers have a port in the rear, so I'm wondering if this cubby idea would be Ok and not affect the purpose/sound of the rear port. Appreciate the thoughts.
That is a bad plan. Speakers have to be designed specifically for in wall mounting as they are entirely half space radiators, whereas free standing speakers have a transition frequency depending on the width of the speaker, from half space to omnidirectional radiator. In addition you can not mount a rear ported speakers like that.

You need another plan.

If you can design your own speakers, you can design speakers for all kinds of applications, which I have. That gives the DIY designer and builder a huge advantage in getting superb sound with superior aesthetics.

F

Field

Audiophyte
Ok... good feedback. I do have my original plan to "bookshelf" mount them on a stand in front of the wall, or I'll make a wall-bracket I can hang them from off the front wall (L&R), avoiding the cubby altogether.

Would just have looked really clean iif recessed. Plus they were a steal of a buy that I didn't want to pass up.

Thx.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That aesthetic of a clean look by no protruding boxes is best done with speakers designed for in-wall use, though. Putting them on a small shelf or using various available mounts is definitely do-able. What speakers are we talking about that you ordered?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis