Bookshelf speakers in a wall recess?

H

Hotwheels

Audiophyte
Would there be a negative impact to the sound of my book shelf speakerplaced into these recessed in wall boxes? I have a narrow room to work with but because of some structural stuff can recess them in the wall.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why not just use an appropriate in-wall speaker instead? Not ideal to put a bookshelf into a cubbyhole.

H

Hotwheels

Audiophyte
I ask as I already have a set 600m and would like to use them if possible. I had planned on in wall when I started this construction project but wanted some input

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I ask as I already have a set 600m and would like to use them if possible. I had planned on in wall when I started this construction project but wanted some input
The problem comes from the fact that speakers should be designed to compensate for the transition from being a half space radiator to full space. In other words a transition from monopole to omnipole. This involves a bass boost below this transition to stop the speaker sounding thin. If however the speaker is placed in the wall there is no transition and no requirement for this bass boost, known as BSC. So the speaker becomes bass heavy and male voices for instance take on a boomy quality.
In wall speakers should be designed without that compensation.

However you might get lucky as many bookshelf speakers have very inadequate BSC. So it is possible depending on the speaker design it could sound better!

If it does sound bass heavy allowing it to protrude from the wall may ameliorate the problem.

I see those 600M speakers are Klipsch, so they probably are BSC compensated and you are likely to have a problem with the issue I describe.

I have just designed and built an in wall system. This is actually a difficult problem. Even without BSC, there is reinforcement by wall and screen reflections that require careful tinkering.

Last edited:
H

Hotwheels

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input, so guess maybe it’s worth a shot. If it fails then can install a standard in wall speaker

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It isn't an ideal placement, but it might sound OK if you do a few things. Absolutely seal the port in back of the speaker. Try to make it an airtight seal so no air can get in or out of the speaker. The upper bass may still be a bit bloated but that can be EQ'd down. The good news is that the horn-loaded tweeter won't be as susceptible to diffraction as a wider dispersion design. The bad news is that horn-loaded speakers tend to sound best when some toe-in angles are experimented with, but that kind of placement makes angling the speakers difficult.

H

Hotwheels

Audiophyte
It isn't an ideal placement, but it might sound OK if you do a few things. Absolutely seal the port in back of the speaker. Try to make it an airtight seal so no air can get in or out of the speaker. The upper bass may still be a bit bloated but that can be EQ'd down. The good news is that the horn-loaded tweeter won't be as susceptible to diffraction as a wider dispersion design. The bad news is that horn-loaded speakers tend to sound best when some toe-in angles are experimented with, but that kind of placement makes angling the speakers difficult.
good point about the toe in, the cubby is about 12inch wide and 24inch tall. The speakers are about 8” wide so do have a little movement.

another question would be center channel above or below the tv, I was thinking of adding some front heights, so center below seems more logical?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis