Bookshelf speakers As rear Surround speakers

A

Ator

Audioholic Intern
I saw a pair of Kef Q300 bookshelf for sale in my local FB marketplace. Decent price but wanted to know if I should/can use them as rear surround speakers?
Thanks

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I saw a pair of Kef Q300 bookshelf for sale in my local FB marketplace. Decent price but wanted to know if I should/can use them as rear surround speakers?
Thanks
That's what most people use for in room surrounds, bookshelves.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I use bookshelf speakers for my surrounds. Coaxial drivers are supposed to have better dispersion. I would get them if the price is right.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If i remember correctly bipoles/dipoles for surrounds were for early pro logic, and not really mastered for anymore with discrete surround and rear surround channels, so bookshelves are what most use now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I use bookshelf speakers for my surrounds. Coaxial drivers are supposed to have better dispersion. I would get them if the price is right.
How many speakers use coaxial are those the full range drivers ? I know vintage and pro speakers still use them .
Wow so these bookshelves are an example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How many speakers use coaxial are those the full range drivers ? I know vintage and pro speakers still use them .
Wow so these bookshelves are an example?
Popular examples are Kef's Uni-q and Hsu's CCB-8. Coaxial doesn't mean full range

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There is really no bookshelf speaker that's going to be 'full range' as defined by movie low frequency effects. Sure, they can be full range as defined by a 1947 jazz recording or highly compressed 1970's rock, but that's about it.

The Uni-Q coincident driver is great for virtually all applications because of the inherent timing of the tweeter and midrange. Much work has been done to refine the shape of the midrange cone to effectively work fluidly with the tweeter in the middle, so that helps with dispersion and off-axis performance.

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
Will it be over kill to use a elac uni-fi ub5 book shelf speakers as surround?

Will I simply be wasting the potential of this speaker in having it solely as a satellite?

On this topic..I have been struggling to figure out the best option for surround speakers. My current equipment are
Pioneer Elite vsx-84tsxi (7.1)
Emotiva xpr 5
Def Tech towers bp7002
Deftech clr center
Acoustech subwoofer
Will be having this set up in a new media room that is being built currently.
Am looking to have at a minimum 5.1 but also will ensure wires are in place if I want to add 2 additional to make it a 7.1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's the only problem and it's not much of a problem: when adjusting volume levels by ear, unless the surrounds deliver the same tone as mains, it will be somewhat more challenging to get mains and surrounds matched but that's it, not much of a concern.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Thanks
Certainly! They should work just fine. Due to space limitations, I use in ceiling speakers for my rear surrounds and it works very, very well.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Will it be over kill to use a elac uni-fi ub5 book shelf speakers as surround?

Will I simply be wasting the potential of this speaker in having it solely as a satellite?

On this topic..I have been struggling to figure out the best option for surround speakers. My current equipment are
Pioneer Elite vsx-84tsxi (7.1)
Emotiva xpr 5
Def Tech towers bp7002
Deftech clr center
Acoustech subwoofer
Will be having this set up in a new media room that is being built currently.
Am looking to have at a minimum 5.1 but also will ensure wires are in place if I want to add 2 additional to make it a 7.1.

Its not a bad idea to have decent speakers for surrounds, sure its a place where its possible to skimp, but if you dont have to its better not to.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Here's the only problem and it's not much of a problem: when adjusting volume levels by ear, unless the surrounds deliver the same tone as mains, it will be somewhat more challenging to get mains and surrounds matched but that's it, not much of a concern.
I just use auysee and unless there’s a major error in it’s calibration it’s usually fine !!
I don’t have a rem mic or anything but if you want to get everything correct you need an external mic think they have free programs for sound correct ?
Got any links haha I forgot I have like eq amnesia ...
Adjusting it by ear almost never works . Need decibel meter or measurements!!!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If i remember correctly bipoles/dipoles for surrounds were for early pro logic, and not really mastered for anymore with discrete surround and rear surround channels, so bookshelves are what most use now.

I have a pair of those but I switched to bookshelves I use all channel stereo often.

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
I have a RadioShack Sol meter I use to calibrate using the pioneer calibration software. I raise levels of all speakers to 90db. This is my assumption on how it's done unless I'm wrong on this calibration..
Thoughts?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I have a RadioShack Sol meter I use to calibrate using the pioneer calibration software. I raise levels of all speakers to 90db. This is my assumption on how it's done unless I'm wrong on this calibration..
Thoughts?

0dB on the display should be 85dB at the listening position.

R

Rtekkam

Enthusiast
0dB on the display should be 85dB at the listening position.

I'm sorry... don't quite follow. Not an expert on this. Thanks!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I'm sorry... don't quite follow. Not an expert on this. Thanks!

If you use a relative volume display then 0dB should be 85dB at listening position for reference level.

Most auto setups use -10dB relative volume so 75dB at the listening position because most people found the 85db test tones annoyingly loud.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you use a relative volume display then 0dB should be 85dB at listening position for reference level.

Most auto setups use -10dB relative volume so 75dB at the listening position because most people found the 85db test tones annoyingly loud.
Yeah, my 6012’s test tone is 75db @mv -0.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis