Bookshelf Speaker Suggestions Please?

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Even if you get your old speakers repaired, I would still do the shelf mods to get the speakers upright. They will sound much better.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I've not opened up speakers in decades, though - is this something pretty straight forward?
Dave
Hi Dave,
It's pretty easy, I'd get something to use for labels and just mark where each wire came from, and don't mix up phase + and -.
With regards to packing the drivers, (if you go the repair route) I'd zip tie the drivers together, facing each other, and wrap with bubble wrap.

Rick

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Even if you get your old speakers repaired, I would still do the shelf mods to get the speakers upright. They will sound much better.
Hello GUYS! :) Comin' on for the evening!

Your responses have been overwhelming to my request for advice - thanks!

Well, first, I've exchanged e-mails w/ the speaker repair guy (Thore - on post #14) concerning the 'crossover' upgrade - he said as long as the drivers are working, there is no need to replace them, which makes the whole process simpler for me - this person seems quite experienced and the business has been in existence for about a half century - feel that I should trust his advice, and a cheaper option?

Now, as to the placement of the speakers - many years ago when I purchased these EV speakers, I sought advice (no web back then), and even called EV in Michigan - they advised me to put them upright but suggested giving the 'on side' position a try; to be honest, I never did a comparison, but these have sounded great 'as is' for many years - will they sound better upright - don't know (and I'm not one to need the BEST reproduction of sound since I've obviously been pretty happy for 3 decades). But, if I re-build the shelves (which would be quite easy), I would then have to re-make a bunch of those CD storage boxes that are already on the shelves, so kind of a one-two punch and much more effort. I wish that I just had a GIGANTIC room to place all comfortably and ideally! :(

Now, just to show that I can make some optical storage units, below are a few examples: Left - a rotating carousel of cherry for DVD storage (unit in the back are for jazz/blues CDs - these were bought but arranged in an oak enclosure by me); Middle - mahogany CD storage unit w/ doors off to the side of the original pic shown; and Left - an oak CD storage unit w/ box joints (had to put this one in another room! I own over 4000 CDs, so what is seem on the wall unit is probably less than a third of the CDs that I have in the house, so making storage change issues is a MAJOR consideration - :D)

But, thanks again for all of your comments - I'm really enjoying this response and forum! :cool:

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Thats beautiful woodwork Dave! I makes me long for the space to set up my shop again.

In the end, if the speakers work on their side for you, thats what counts.

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Thats beautiful woodwork Dave! I makes me long for the space to set up my shop again.

In the end, if the speakers work on their side for you, thats what counts.

Thanks, Fred - :)

Well, I had the day off so took the EV speakers to the basement and removed the woofers & passive radiators - bolted them together and did some double-boxing - just sent off via UPS to the place in Greensboro mentioned previously.

Now, a new question has arisen - below (left) is just a pic of a speaker w/ the two components removed and on its side; I guess the dispersion angle of the sound from the tweeter would be the main consideration for upright vs. horizontal placement - don't know? :confused:

But the issue now shown in the close-up (right) is that the speakers were sealed into their openings (except one for some reason - likely overlooked?) w/ a silicon-caulk type substance; stuff is still pliable and removable w/ an effort - my question is do I need to clean all of this sealant off the speaker openings (and the returned drivers), and then apply a new sealer; and, if so, what should be used - now I'm in un-chartered territory for me; I've left an e-mail w/ the guy who will be fixing them and I'm sure he'll have some definite opinions.

Thanks again for any further help - a little more complicated than I thought at the start - :( Dave

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Hello all and again thanks for all of the helpful suggestions & recommendations - :)

The 'repaired' speaker drivers arrived earilier in the week (nearly 2 weeks longer than expected) - the repair + return S/H to me was only $130, so worth a try.

Yesterday, I put the drivers back into their cabinets after applying some foam gaskets (purchased from the online store mentioned previously) & replaced the speakers to the den shelves; all seems to be working good as new, so pleased!

Now my next purchase will need to be a replacement of that 32" CRT TV w/ a HDTV! But, that's another forum - :D Dave

dougg

dougg

Junior Audioholic
Get a Flat Screen and move it up in the Bookcase. You will have room for a Subwoofer and Center Channel Speaker at present TV location.
Dougg

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Dave, glad to hear it all worked out.
Not bad for $130.

Rick

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Get a Flat Screen and move it up in the Bookcase. You will have room for a Subwoofer and Center Channel Speaker at present TV location.
Dougg - well, I'm planning on a flat screen HDTV (LCD vs. plasma) in the 42"-46" size to fit the space of the current TV - YES, I've thought of putting a TV higher in front of the bookcases, but that is precious space, i.e. I'm more interested in my CD storage than the TV (just me - to each his own, I guess) - :) Dave

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Hi Dave, glad to hear it all worked out.
Not bad for $130.
Rick - thanks for your response and frequent support in this thread of mine - probably should have just 'pulled the trigger' and bought something new, but hey the repaired ones sound great, not much of an investment, and if in a year or two I want to go to multi-channel (mainly for surround sound on DVDs), I'll not feel that it was a waste on money! ;)

Dave

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis