Bookshelf Recommendations

Audioholic
Seating area (couch) is about 8' from the A/V ctr. Room is rather sterile, has high ceilings and echoes. I advised him to get a few area rugs and maybe a few acoustic panels sometime down the line. Ceiling corners look like they could use some acoustical treatment as well, but I know he won't go that far. I tried to talk him into a large velvet Elvis painting, but I don't think he'll do that either.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
ok. just got back and he certainly has enough room for a set of bookshelf speakers, but he will need stands to go with them. I figure about 24-30" stands.

Any recommendations on stands? He/we are leaning towards the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2.

Thanks
I think he'll be happy with the Sierra 2. Stands are a personal choice. Height is typically chosen to get the tweeter around ear level. I purchased my stands from VTI as I wanted a heavy cast stand and they had a model with a round back that matched the round back of my speakers. I also purchased a pair of VIVO stands with glass plates vs metal for my daughter, similar to these from MonoPrice. VTI, VIVO and Monoprice should all have models on Amazon. I like stands that have a channel or tube for running the speaker wire so you can hide the wire. Also check for whether they come with metal spikes or rubber feet. Many come with both. Spikes are good for carpet but if the condo has tile or wood floors you want rubber.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Seating area (couch) is about 8' from the A/V ctr. Room is rather sterile, has high ceilings and echoes. I advised him to get a few area rugs and maybe a few acoustic panels sometime down the line. Ceiling corners look like they could use some acoustical treatment as well, but I know he won't go that far. I tried to talk him into a large velvet Elvis painting, but I don't think he'll do that either.
A clap test is a simple way to check the room with both of you there. A clap should decay in about 1/2 second. If it echos for 2 or 3 seconds the room could use treatments. Area rugs are easiest because they are also practical. With a tight budget, some acoustical panels might be a hard sell. Search for GIK Acoustics in Atlanta. They have architectural panels but are also well known for their art panels. They have an image library and you can also upload your own images and have them printed on the fabric. There is probably a velvet Elvis in there somewhere. ;)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just a note, these just popped up on USAM,

These would be a fun pair for your friend to use for a little bit and can likely sell later at the exact purchase price and 100% made in the USA. This series was a mostly hidden GEM for JBL. Note the distortion numbers on the review are at 96db, not the intended use of the speaker.

Audioholic
Apologies for not responding in a timely manner. I’m dealing with an extremely ornery, verbally abusive, ageing & ill Father and to say it has been challenging would be a vast understatement. He’s running me ragged. I appreciate all your comments.

@Eppie: My bud still has not made a speaker decision and now that I think about it, I seriously doubt he will end up with the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 speakers. I know he really doesn’t want to spend that kind of money. If anything, he might end up with a pair of Snell KIIs. The Sierra 2s are a highly detailed speaker, which in my estimation, is a speaker more suited for someone who is an audiophile and listens to music critically, and although my friend has expressed some interest in obtaining higher quality audio gear than he's had in the past, I know he's just a casual listener. I don’t believe such an expensive speaker is warranted in his case. He has a mediocre Yamaha mid-fil receiver and if it works, he’s not likely to get another.

Additionally, there are a few other speakers I may recommend to him, which I’m looking into now. These include the Mission 70 MK II, Paradigm Reference Signature S2 & Mini Monitor V3, JBL L20T, Tannoy Mercury M2, B&W DM602 S3, Quad 11L, and a few others.

& thanks for the VTI & VIVO speaker stand recommendations, I will definitely look into those.

As far as echo is concerned at my Bud’s place, it was definitely noticeable when we were talking, but I will try the clap test next time I pay him a visit. I do know that he will be placing an area rug or 2 in his living/listening room. I will also look into GIK Acoustics in Atlanta, but like you said he is unlikely to spring for those… unless they have velvet Elvis panels on closeout. :D

@everettT: Thank you for the JBL speaker links. I will check them out.

Also, I wanted to mention that I’m putting together a new system of my own which will consist of an Audio Research SP14, McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe, and a new set of smaller speakers, which I will look for on the use market. The McCormack is on its way and I’m currently looking for a good SP14 and speakers. The plan is to use these speakers in a smallish space while I take care of my Father. I will eventually relegate these ‘new’ smaller speakers to a bedroom system and get larger towers for the new system. I do have a set of Klipsch Heresy IIIs, and a much older set of Klipsch Cornwalls. Perhaps I should start a new thread, but since I have already started this Bookshelf recommendations thread, I thought I’d ask for the forum’s opinions here. So far, I have it narrowed down to the following:

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Dynaudio 140/160
Revel M22

Budget is $1.2K, or thereabouts, but I certainly wouldn’t be adverse to saving some money since I’m spending ~ $3K on the SP14 and the McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe.

- Thanks

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to hear about your father. Been through that couple of years ago with my wife's parents but some things you just have to deal with.

Will your speakers be used without a subwoofer? Generally decent options. I think the Dynaudio 140 will have a little more bottom end than the 160. The Revel M22 lacks a little below 100Hz so you might want to look into the M16 if it fits your budget. I have not heard the Sierra 2 personally but I have heard the RAAL ribbon tweeter in other speakers and I like the high end they produce. If you're used to soft dome tweeters like in the Dynaudio, the RAALs will sound different but the Sierras have many fans.

Audioholic
@Eppie: Thanks, it's a challenge for sure.

No sub will be used at this time. I did find a nice pair of Dynaudio 140s, and I very well might make an offer on them. The Dynaudio are 4Ω speakers, and the McCormack does 330 at that impedance, so I will need to be mindful of the volume. Luckily, though, the SP14 has an attenuation knob, which will help keep things in check. At any rate, I'm not likely to crank the volume to ear-splitting levels.

I've not had the opportunity to hear the Sierra 2s or a RAAL tweeter, but I've read a lot about them. I did read that about the Revel M22 as well, but I've also read several reviews where people rave about their quality of sound. I guess it all boils down to what I can find at a 'reasonable' price. Thanks again.

Edit: Just found a pair of Legacy Audio Studio HDs for $2K. Tempting... but expensive.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis