Boesendorfer Speakers?!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yes indeed, the world-renown maker of awesome pianos (if you disagree, listen to Katy Lied by Steely Dan, it features a Boesendorfer played by Michael Omartian) has now introduced some speakers. I'm not sure how long these have been around, but they look interesting. However, judging by the description, I would ventrue to say that they introduce some coloration. Just a thought though.

Boesendorfer

Once on the site, navite to Audio Program at the top of the flash menu.

I think I just found another speaker to add to the list to evaluate.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Most definitely. But then again, they should, seeing how a piano company is making them. An expensive piano company.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Yes indeed, the world-renown maker of awesome pianos (if you disagree, listen to Katy Lied by Steely Dan, it features a Boesendorfer played by Michael Omartian)
Completely disagree. We have a 9 foot Steinway D, nothing sounds warmer and better when it comes to pianos. When we where shopping, my wife tried the Boesendorfer, Yamaha's, and Baldwins (both new and old). There may have been Kwai in there too, but I did not take notes. Below is my assessment (from 8 year old notes) of what we listened to:

Yamaha C5 (early 90's) Weak lower, Full midrange, good high
Yamaha CFIII (early 90's) Good lower, Good mid, good high
Yamaha C1 (New) Full lower, Very Full mid, Very warm and full high
Baldwin SD10 (New) Warm and Full lower, good mid, good high
Baldwin L1 (New) Warm lower, full mid, full high
Baldwin M5 (New) Warm lower, full mid, full high
Baldwin SF10 (30 years old) Full lower, Very Full mid, Very warm high
Boesendorfer 200 (New) Full lower, Metalic mid, metalic high
Boesendorfer 290 (New) good lower, good mid, tinny high
Boesendorfer 275 (New) Full lower, Metalic mid, metalic high
Boesendorfer 275 (15 years old) Full lower, Metalic mid, metalic high
Steinway L (1977) Full warm lower, full warm mid, full warm high
Steinway M (mid 20's) oh my god
Steinway D (New) Oh my god (we bought this one)

Keep in mind that these are just what we played and listened to. There are 14 pianos listed but we checked out about 30 or so, most repeats from the list, and the assessment is for all of that type. Our first choice was the Steinway M but we could not afford it, Our second choice was the D, our third choice was the Yamaha C1. Do not ask me to quantify what I mean't by full, or warm, but metalic mean't is sounded like a steel drum.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I wasn't trashing Steinway. Indeed, many people regard them to be the best piano money can buy. I've only played on a few Steinways, and they are quite nice. Now, I've never personally played a Boesendorfer, but from what I've heard, they sound really nice.

http://www.floridamusicco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=bosendorfer&partner=froogle

I personally think that those samples sound really, really nice.

Bah. This makes me want to go out piano shopping again. Oh well. At least I still have a good ol' upright to play (1956 Baldwin Acrosonic).

J

jlboland

Audiophyte
Hi -- I'm one of the few Bosendorfer dealers in the US -- Advanced Systems. Fell in love with the Bosendorfers at the 2004 CES, and have their large and medium systems and 5.1 surround speakers. They are extremely musical, and look spectacular! They remind me of the black Monolith from the movie 2001, and their dimensions are somewhat similar (though not as large, of course). Feel free to contact me - johnboland@earthlink.net, or advanced-systems@earthlink.net.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis