Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Just wondering what the general take on using bluetooth for audio is here since many Phone OEMs seem to be dropping the 3.5mm jack for either dongles or telling people to use bluetooth headphones/earbuds. Also I may look at FiiO's offerings for turrning wired headphones/earbuds to bluetooth with their BTR3 or the uBTR or even the older BTR1. Would be using it for devices without the 3.5mm jack of course. I have a FiiO E18 already for those that have a usb port of some kind already.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the more recent revisions of the BT standard are pretty high quality!

You can get more specific info reading the "Codecs" section on this page.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I enjoy the use of Bluetooth when on the go (commuting on the train, walking or bike rides, yardwork) but prefer to be “wired” whilst at work or at home. At work I use a Pioneer DAP, which does have BT – I just like plugging in and forgetting about battery life, etc. On the go, wires are a hassle and BT is much more convenient (also, I guess Apple was thinking of me when they deleted the headphone jack :rolleyes: ). Absolute fidelity over BT does not really concern me as the noise of the train, wind or lawnmower will negate any limitations of what signal I am getting. I am sure aptX or LDAC are worth exploring, just not right now for me...

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Im not a headphone guy, but I use bluetooth in my car everyday to stream music. It's come a long way and actually sounds pretty good to me.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Im not a headphone guy, but I use bluetooth in my car everyday to stream music. It's come a long way and actually sounds pretty good to me.
Agreed - I love being able to stream Tidal or Soundcloud or whatever in my car!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
BT HAS come a long way and now, it even transmits over much greater distances. I just finished an audio upgrade for a school gymnasium sound system and when I mentioned using a wireless streaming device, they were very interested. Well, the person who was leading the group paying for it was interested, anyway. The problem is that they have too many people using the system and they have no technical knowledge or ability to troubleshoot, which was demonstrated over the weekend when they couldn't figure out how to make their voices heard through the mics- they just needed to speak into the end and speak up.

Anyway, I installed a Denon HEOS Link, made sure it worked and when I explained that anyone using it needed to create a HEOS account and log in to use it, then remember to log out, the facility manager immediately lost interest. Then, to make it worse, the gym teacher made it known that the Bluetooth in his little amplifier (looks like a practice amp for guitar) works over more than 100', I was instantly annoyed by their lack of communication in this job, so I told them I would look into some kind of BT receiver. Every time I had tried one, the rang sucked and the sound was far worse than described by the manufacturer, so I didn't bother to recommend them or keep up on what was happening. I knew they had revisions, but didn't know what they entailed.

I looked for recommendations online and found one that is rated for 60' as a receiver and 160' as a transmitter. Right- "How could that be?" I asked myself, so I went to YouTube for videos. They all said it works, so I ordered one. My search started at 11AM and by 11:30AM, the order had been placed and it showed up at 7:30 that night. I plugged it in immediately, connected my iPhone 6 and started playing music on my garage system before walking away. I kept walking, to find where the signal would stop and I kept walking. I walked down my 105' driveway and kept going till I was across the street and it never stopped. I walked to the West 2 houses and it still played, so I went East, to see if my house would affect it if it was between me and the receiver. Nope. Same distance, never stopped. I went back to the other side and counted my steps back to the garage and by the time I reached it, I found that I had been about 180' away. On my way back, I heard a clunk, which turned out to be the box the receiver was sitting on- it had fallen over and the receiver was hanging by the cords, behind a bicycle, my golf clubs and the steel entry door. It sounds good, too. I installed it yesterday and it covers every part of the gym, which has a full basketball court and it's mounted on the concrete block wall outside of the stage control room, so it's actually passing through two concrete block walls.

Topken

Topken

Junior Audioholic
Ok after taking a look at that wireless headphone article it looks like the BTR3 will work fine as it handles up to LDAC and even LDHC. My Phone is an S8 and running Oreo as of right now and looks to be on the road to getting Pie as well which should have LDAC built in already so that will be a MAJOR plus for me there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis