Bluetooth Receiver connected to an old Pioneer AV Receiver

H

HardNotes

Audiophyte
Anyone connected an old AV Receiver to a Bluetooth Receiver using a cable that has RCA (Red White) on one end and TRS Female on other end? TRS end goes into my BT Receiver. If yes, do you connect RCA to PHONO or TAPE IN?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I used one on an older model. I think I used CD input rather than tape. But tape should work. I don't think I would use the phono input.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Phono in would then apply boost and RIAA eq as if it were a signal from a cartridge playing vinyl, so you don't want that input. Any other line in would be fine,

H

HardNotes

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for your input. I am using Tape 1 input on this old Pioneer VSX-456 receiver. One issue I am facing is that when I stream a stereo version of any song from my phone to this particular Bluetooth device, on the receiver I hear normal output only from the Left speaker, very faint one on Central and nothing on my Right speaker. I have checked the Bluetooth device on other headphones where it works fine. The speakers connection to receiver is also fine as checked and verified by other inputs to the receiver (e.g. CD / DVD / TV ). Not able to pinpoint the issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try a different input on the receiver. If you are getting audio from the center speaker you are using an upmixer I assume...what about direct or stereo modes? Make sure your cable is seated well...and is the correct type of cable....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks everyone for your input. I am using Tape 1 input on this old Pioneer VSX-456 receiver. One issue I am facing is that when I stream a stereo version of any song from my phone to this particular Bluetooth device, on the receiver I hear normal output only from the Left speaker, very faint one on Central and nothing on my Right speaker. I have checked the Bluetooth device on other headphones where it works fine. The speakers connection to receiver is also fine as checked and verified by other inputs to the receiver (e.g. CD / DVD / TV ). Not able to pinpoint the issue.
If your phone has a plastic case, remove it- it's likely that the 3.5mm lug isn't inserted fully.

H

HardNotes

Audiophyte
Try a different input on the receiver. If you are getting audio from the center speaker you are using an upmixer I assume...what about direct or stereo modes? Make sure your cable is seated well...and is the correct type of cable....
Unfortunately I have used up all the other inputs like CD, DVD and LD/SAT. Only remaining are PHONO, VCR/Tape 1 (In and Out) and Tape 2 (In and Out). Connections are fine and done with proper cables.

H

HardNotes

Audiophyte
If your phone has a plastic case, remove it- it's likely that the 3.5mm lug isn't inserted fully.
My phone is sending input using Bluetooth. The connection is

iPhone using Bluetooth -> Bluetooth Receiver -> Via a cable which has TRS on one side and two RCA cables on other -> RCA cables go into my VSX-456 Tape 1 Input.

BTW, I tested out the Bluetooth receiver by connecting it to a simple Headphone. It transmitted sound fine and I could hear stereo sound via the headphone.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd try another input just to check. What about sound mode? What BT receiver?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My phone is sending input using Bluetooth. The connection is

iPhone using Bluetooth -> Bluetooth Receiver -> Via a cable which has TRS on one side and two RCA cables on other -> RCA cables go into my VSX-456 Tape 1 Input.

BTW, I tested out the Bluetooth receiver by connecting it to a simple Headphone. It transmitted sound fine and I could hear stereo sound via the headphone.
DERP! I knew that. Swap the plugs in the AVR- if only one output plug works, you know where the problem lies.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Have you checked the cable as well?

1/8" to stereo RCA cables are notoriously poor quality. You will want to connect that cable DIRECTLY to a source which has a 1/8" stereo audio output and ensure that audio plays properly over both left and right channels as expected. I recently did an installation where audio sounded fine from multiple sources until I got to their 'aux' input. This was (sure enough) a 1/8" to stereo adapter. It was an older adapter, and I had a spare with me. Swapped it out and audio suddenly sounded perfect!

Other checks, as listed, are to use an input that you already know is 100% perfect. Like your CD or DVD input. Start up your CD player, play some music. Make sure it sounds perfect. Then unplug your CD player (fine to do while it is running) and plug in your 1/8" stereo to RCA connection and plug it into your phone. If you don't hear audio from both channels, then odds are good it is your cable. If you hear audio from one side only, then unplug the other side and see if you hear a change. The swap the good side for the bad side and see if audio flips which speaker it is coming out of. Indicates a bad cable.

If audio plays fine out of both speakers using your CD input...

Plug your CD player into the TAPE IN connection.

Then switch to your Tape input on the receiver. Does audio sound good and playback properly from both speakers? If so, then you know the Tape Input is working properly on the receiver.

Put the CD player connection back where it belongs.

I would put my bets on the cable being the issue.

H

HardNotes

Audiophyte
Have you checked the cable as well?

1/8" to stereo RCA cables are notoriously poor quality. You will want to connect that cable DIRECTLY to a source which has a 1/8" stereo audio output and ensure that audio plays properly over both left and right channels as expected. I recently did an installation where audio sounded fine from multiple sources until I got to their 'aux' input. This was (sure enough) a 1/8" to stereo adapter. It was an older adapter, and I had a spare with me. Swapped it out and audio suddenly sounded perfect!

Other checks, as listed, are to use an input that you already know is 100% perfect. Like your CD or DVD input. Start up your CD player, play some music. Make sure it sounds perfect. Then unplug your CD player (fine to do while it is running) and plug in your 1/8" stereo to RCA connection and plug it into your phone. If you don't hear audio from both channels, then odds are good it is your cable. If you hear audio from one side only, then unplug the other side and see if you hear a change. The swap the good side for the bad side and see if audio flips which speaker it is coming out of. Indicates a bad cable.

If audio plays fine out of both speakers using your CD input...

Plug your CD player into the TAPE IN connection.

Then switch to your Tape input on the receiver. Does audio sound good and playback properly from both speakers? If so, then you know the Tape Input is working properly on the receiver.

Put the CD player connection back where it belongs.

I would put my bets on the cable being the issue.

Hey man, thanks much. Finally I nailed it down to a connector between my Bluetooth adapter's TRS port to TRS side of the TRS-RCA cable adapter I am using. Changed that and it works properly.

H

HardNotes

Audiophyte
Hey everyone, thanks a lot for all your help. Finally am able to stream from my iPhone to my old Pioneer VSX-456. Looking at all the notes above, I really feel so lucky to be among people who helped solve what any of the experts would consider a beginner's problem. I have no words to sufficiently thank all of you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis