Bluetooth Audio Receiver

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Looking for advice.

I’m looking for something I can use to stream Apple Music through my 2ch setup, but I have a couple specific requirements.

1. It must have a easy to access power switch. I don’t want my phone to connect to it unless I turn it on to play music. My phone is set to automatically connect to remembered devices, so I just want to be able to turn it on when I want to use it.

2. It must have RCA outs, not the little mini jack.

3. If the device had an optical audio input and DAC, that would be a bonus, as it would allow me to connect my TV to the 2ch setup as well.

My 2ch setup is very basic, just a turntable, tube integrated amp and speakers. I want to add the ability to stream from my phone, just for background, on occasion.

I don’t want to spend $1000, but I don’t want to buy garbage either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This may be beyond what you are looking for:
1576247938064.png

But then again, the Bluesound Node 2i may ($549) may be just what you are looking for. It can certainly do casual streaming from your phone (AirPlay 2) but can also stream, on its own, just about any service you can think of, plus any files you may have on a hard drive/computer, has full size RCA outputs and an optical input. It also sounds great!

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I don’t know why I’ve never looked more closely at this product. I’ve heard plenty of people mention it, but it always seemed like it was more of a Roon thing, or a Raspberry Pi.

This is (almost) exactly what I’ve been looking for, thanks! I just wish it could do AppleMusic natively instead of Airplay only, but it’ll do.

Question, is the voice control through the device itself, or through your phone/tablet/Alexa etc? One thing I don’t like is the idea of adding another listener to my home. I have Siri, and don’t want anything else.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Sweet! I think you will like it. I do not know about Apple Music as I don't use it. From a quick search, it appears that, like you said, it goes through AirPlay. Also, I really have no need for voice control at this point, so I have not explored the capabilities. Maybe someday when I have my estate and want music playing in the conservatory... It does appear that you need an Alexa device (Echo or whatever) hooked up to take advantage of the Bezos-verse...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking for advice.

I’m looking for something I can use to stream Apple Music through my 2ch setup, but I have a couple specific requirements.

1. It must have a easy to access power switch. I don’t want my phone to connect to it unless I turn it on to play music. My phone is set to automatically connect to remembered devices, so I just want to be able to turn it on when I want to use it.

2. It must have RCA outs, not the little mini jack.

3. If the device had an optical audio input and DAC, that would be a bonus, as it would allow me to connect my TV to the 2ch setup as well.

My 2ch setup is very basic, just a turntable, tube integrated amp and speakers. I want to add the ability to stream from my phone, just for background, on occasion.

I don’t want to spend $1000, but I don’t want to buy garbage either.

Why must it have RCA output, rather than the mini jack? Because it sounds so much better? BS!

Streaming via IP is the better method of wireless transmission.

Yamaha's MusicCast pieces would fit the bill very well- the WXC-50 has optical in/out, RCA out, DAC, BT, AirPlay and additional input for line in, as well as a 12V trigger out. It can also work with a NAS and thumb drives. $349.99 is the typical price.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Why must it have RCA output, rather than the mini jack? Because it sounds so much better? BS!

Streaming via IP is the better method of wireless transmission.

Yamaha's MusicCast pieces would fit the bill very well- the WXC-50 has optical in/out, RCA out, DAC, BT, AirPlay and additional input for line in, as well as a 12V trigger out. It can also work with a NAS and thumb drives. $349.99 is the typical price.
Because it’s a more solid, secure connection, and that’s what I prefer.

Thanks for the post. You seem nice. I already ordered a Node.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Because it’s a more solid, secure connection, and that’s what I prefer.

Thanks for the post. You seem nice. I already ordered a Node.

Congrats - you will enjoy it! The BluOS is very fluid and easy to use. The only trouble I had (and this is me, not it) was connecting properly to my PC via my network. There are a few steps to it that I undoubtedly screwed up and I could not play files I had on an external hard drive connected to said PC (hooking up the hard drive to the Node directly worked a treat). I already had Roon, so I gave that a try and BOOM! - Roon handled everything no problem (and I like the Roon GUI better on an iPad).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That would likely do the task, but I think the Node will be more seamless and easy, since it offers Airplay2. Plus I’ll be able to try some of the other feature options down the road.

I'll be interested in reading your impressions once you've had it long enough to learn all of what it can do and get accustomed to the BluOS interface.

You didn't mention what streaming services you may use. It handles many but iTunes isn't one of them. The Airplay 2 and/or advanced Bluetooth capability helps with that. Others, it does natively.

The other thing you may enjoy is that it streams any radio station that broadcasts to the internet, plus a great many podcasts.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I'll be interested in reading your impressions once you've had it long enough to learn all of what it can do and get accustomed to the BluOS interface.

You didn't mention what streaming services you may use. It handles many but iTunes isn't one of them. The Airplay 2 and/or advanced Bluetooth capability helps with that. Others, it does natively.

The other thing you may enjoy is that it streams any radio station that broadcasts to the internet, plus a great many podcasts.
At this point I really only use Apple Music. I have Amazon Prime Music but never use it.

I rarely have time to sit down and critically listen, and when I do, it’s vinyl. Anything else is background, or mobile.

I’ll be excited to test the other services tho.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Okay then. I’ve lived with it for awhile, and I’ve made my decision.

I love this thing.

I bought it to Airplay Apple Music from my iPhone and occasionally to Airplay from the AppleTV while watching movie content in the living room. It works great for that.

But 95% of my use has been Calm Radio. It’s fantastic for background music. I signed up for the Tidal trial, and it sounds great, but not great enough for me to pay for when the trial is up.

I’m completely sold. The app could be improved upon, but the quality of the device is really nice. It looks good, and sounds good.

Thanks for the recommendation. It is exactly what I (didnt know I) needed.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Okay then. I’ve lived with it for awhile, and I’ve made my decision.

I love this thing.

I bought it to Airplay Apple Music from my iPhone and occasionally to Airplay from the AppleTV while watching movie content in the living room. It works great for that.

But 95% of my use has been Calm Radio. It’s fantastic for background music. I signed up for the Tidal trial, and it sounds great, but not great enough for me to pay for when the trial is up.

I’m completely sold. The app could be improved upon, but the quality of the device is really nice. It looks good, and sounds good.

Thanks for the recommendation. It is exactly what I (didnt know I) needed.

What unit did you get? I've looked back and can't find a definitive announcement of the choice. It is a Node 2i?

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I got a factory refurb Node 2i for $100 off retail.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Cool! Which device do you use to run it?

With mine (I'm an Android guy) I can use my phone but prefer my 10" tablet for the larger screen that works better for my fat fingers and I don't need to have my reading glasses on.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
I’m on an iPhone X. There are just a few swipe left things that always go home instead of back one page, and a few other quirks.

They could really benefit by adding a bottom-screen nav bar.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If you have an iPad it's a little better, that's what my dealers uses.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
My kid has one, but it’s sticky and gross.

I don’t dig deep enough into the app frequently enough to care that much. I have some favorites and presets (still not exactly sure what the diff is) and I usually just start something and forget about it.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Have you tried building and saving playlists yet?

It's a little funky to edit them, but what I do is open a saved playlist into the play queue, then add what I want by clicking the song above where I want the addition so it starts playing, then with the track I want in the main menu area I "right click" (the 3 dots thing) and select "play next" to get it in the play queue, save the playlist again by pressing the trash can on the play queue, which brings up the choice of delete or save, and choose save with an altered name. Lastly, I delete the old playlist.

thrillcat

thrillcat

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried building and saving playlists yet?

It's a little funky to edit them, but what I do is open a saved playlist into the play queue, then add what I want by clicking the song above where I want the addition so it starts playing, then with the track I want in the main menu area I "right click" (the 3 dots thing) and select "play next" to get it in the play queue, save the playlist again by pressing the trash can on the play queue, which brings up the choice of delete or save, and choose save with an altered name. Lastly, I delete the old playlist.
No playlist. I just let the radio stations play DJ. If I have the time to sit and actually care about what’s up next, I’m listening to vinyl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis