Bluetooth ANC headphones - what do you reckon?

Y

Yarrow

Audiophyte
Hey there :) I tried a friends pair of Sony WH1000XM3s the other day and they were gorgeous... I'm still using the standard AKG earphones included with my phone and they're 'ok' but definitely not as good as I remember after trying the Sony headphones ;) There's a supermarket near me with a huge electronics bit so I'll definitely be having a play with other cans that I find there, but is there anything I should know before going in? Not particularly knowledgeable with how wireless bits work so some advice as to what I'm looking for would be super helpful - recommendations for brands/models would be appreciated too!

Cheers

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The Sony are (in my opinion) the best ANC headphones on the market. They have finally dethroned Bose which sits comfortably at #2.

The Sony also support LDAC and aptX HD hi-res streaming codecs over Bluetooth but you need a comparable player with LDAC support to take full advantage. A basic player like the Fiio M7 supports LDAC.

Make sure you know if you are auditioning the M2 or M3. Sony still sells both. The M3 has further refinements. The adaptive noise cancelling on the Sony with motion and atmospheric pressure is outstanding.

The other two you should have on your radar are the B&O H9i and AKG 700NC. The B&O is a gorgeous headphone. A slight step below the Bose but better sound and a touch interface on the right ear up (similar to Sony).

I’ve reviewed all of them and can speak first hand. The only one I haven’t reviewed and you might also look at is the Bowers and Wilkins. If you like the “luxury” design and feel of a headphone then the B&O and B&W are worth checking out.

Y

Yarrow

Audiophyte
Wow - that was quick! Thank you! :) My S9+ and I can imagine a lot of recent Android phone also support LDAC too. I noticed having a look at the M2 the copper accent bits are silver, knowing what Sony are like with their other products I can't imagine there's any massive differences between the two, have you tried the M2/can you confirm the differences

That B&O pair looks gorgeous. I had a brief play with a friend's B&O PX headphones a few months ago and while that pair isn't for me as the earcups were quite hard on my glasses, the H9is earcups look significantly more forgiving though.

You've got me excited to try them now!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally would look for Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or HD1 if your budget allows. Even the cheaper Sennheiser models are worth take a look for. If you want good sound quality then I would stay away from Bose and B&O.

Y

Yarrow

Audiophyte
I've heard mixed things about Bose's sound quality, seems to be a preference thing, but I'll see if I can give them a go anyway.

Haven't seen much about Sennheiser's wireless stuff - thanks for the suggestion! Research time :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis