Bluesound Node with Denon AVR-X4700h - yes?

Figurative_Speech

Figurative_Speech

Audiophyte
would i benefit from Bluesound Node as my streamer and DAC hooked up to Denon AVR-X4700h, or would I be wasting 500 odd bucks? I know that Bluesound has amazing software and is much better than HEOS, but how do DACs compare?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt the dacs make much difference. It's more about convenience and functionality. Why not just use the dac in the Denon?

Figurative_Speech

Figurative_Speech

Audiophyte
I doubt the dacs make much difference. It's more about convenience and functionality. Why not just use the dac in the Denon?
Why not use Denon's DAC? Just wondering at this point what works best. Bluesound Node has an amazing interface and a comprehensive integration with every major music streaming service. It's miles ahead of HEOS which feels clunky and pathetic in comparison. Personally, I use Deezer HiFi.
I suppose I could try and connect the Node to Denon via optical and compare it to RCA analogue connection and the decide which one sounds better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have not used Heos but seems there are complaints. I use Spotify myself, altho have trialed Qobuz and Tidal, just liked the Spotify UI and library/algorithms. SQ wasn't particularly an issue. Level match if you want to compare the different connection types. Depending on sound mode in the Denon as well as connection options, you may even have an ADC conversion in the mix.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...Node has an amazing interface and a comprehensive integration with every major music streaming service. It's miles ahead of HEOS which feels clunky and pathetic in comparison.
I suppose I could try and connect the Node to Denon via optical and compare it to RCA analogue connection and the decide which one sounds better.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. While I don't have a Node, I have heard that their interface is one of the main selling points of the product. It is products from companies like Sonos and Node which are leading the way. Node is especially noted for being better than Sonos, from what I've heard. This justifies the price associated with them all by itself. But, the quality of the build is supposed to be quite good as well.

I just said elsewhere, that the odds of your speakers being good enough to be able to differentiate between the DACs in your AV receiver and the DACs in the Node may really be questionable. But, it is something that is easy enough to try and it is worth trying if you have good enough gear to warrant it, or just want to do so. No real reason not to if you have the time and inclination.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
A quick visit to the App Store will give you the latest customer reviews of both Apps. Each upgrade version sets off a frenzy of complaints though.

I did not like the HEOS app interface for listening to prime music HD because it was not as functional as the amazon music native app on my iphone.

But playing hi-res from any source on the denon requires you to use “direct” mode to keep it from down sampling to 48khz. If you do not listen in “direct” mode but prefer to use room correction instead, the hi-res music will be at best 48khz. So compression of hi-res streamed music being sent to your denon via Bluetooth or Airplay 2 from your smart phone app will be a wash at 44khz (the upper limit for iPhones don‘t know about androids) vs 48khz.

E

EricSG

Audiophyte
I've just registered to AA to share my experience with this setup, long story short, yes, it improves sound. (Denon 4700 + Node black.

Used RCA cables instead of optical, way better, setup Denon in pure mode, since the decoding is made by the Node's DAC.

I streamed Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz, also played from an external USB drive music files, DSD and Flac.

In every case, sounds better, difference wasn't that impressive when streaming spotify through the Node to Denon compared to Denon directly.

Mention apart is the benefits and simplicity of the BLUOS of the node when compared with one of the crappiest Apps out there..yes, HEOS.

In conclusion, if you enjoy the best from your lossless audio files such as flac, DSD and others formats, or if you stream from Hi Res services, such as Qobuz, Tidal, you will be benefited from the addition of the Node in your chain. (also consider the Node unfolds MQA files from Tidal, while Denon doesn't )

On the other hand, if you just want to stream Spotify, I would use streaming directly from the Spotify to Denon AVR in pure mode, sounds quite decent.

So it depends, always depends.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis